"If I'd known I was going to live this long.....

giddyup

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've never really bothered, 1 root canal when my gum was exploding 10 years back ....... didn't bother to cap it.

65 now, suspect my teeth will last longer than me.

pls remind me.........  dentist on moonmuang soi 1  ?     have a name ?       thx, rumak

49 minutes ago, giddyup said:

My Thai partner is 56, never had a filling and has perfect teeth, doubt if she grew up with fluoride in the water. I think it's more to do with the sugary drinks, biscuits and cakes etc that the west gives their children.

You may be right. However, fluoride occurs naturally in many water supplies. The Thai habit of drinking tea probably also helps, tea is rich in fluoride.

I don't disagree sugar is a prime driver of cavities.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rumak said:

pls remind me.........  dentist on moonmuang soi 1  ?     have a name ?       thx, rumak

Rajavej has a very good lady dentist, speaks good English. What I like about her is the fact she will refer me if she thinks the job is more than her skillset.

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Ditto I am 72 and I have had more teeth extracted than I have left, unfortunately I have none at the front and dentures will take two months. Covid is a god send as I can choose to wear a mask now. 

Be interested to know how you cope with dentures initially. Some people adapt quickly and others have problems. Why does it take 2 months to get dentures made?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Be interested to know how you cope with dentures initially. Some people adapt quickly and others have problems. Why does it take 2 months to get dentures made?

Yes, I have had partial dentures before, never became friendly with them. The two months is required for the mouth form to readjust itself before a mould is made, it would seem that the more teeth you lose the greater the  adjustment, if the dentures are made too soon they won't fit satisfactorily. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have taken great care of my teeth all my life.  Brushing numerous times a day and flossing.

Believe it or not my Dentist told me weak or bad tooth problems can be hereditary.

My results in my 60's has been 9 crowns, 4 implants, numerous root canals cannot even remember several fillings and a bridge.

One time I took a bite of Chocolate chip ice cream and cracked a tooth on a chip.

As I have always gotten everything fixed my teeth are straight and fairly white so it looks good.  But, I have spent a fortune over the years getting it all fixed.

I spent so much on my teeth back in the states that I believe that I enabled my dentist to buy his Cadilac - 555

• Like 1

My teeth are fine, but if I believed I would have lived to 30 I would have engaged in far less risky activities. 32 broken bones including C3,4 and 5, in one accident (including a ruptured cervical disk, a skull fracture, epilepsy and a shattered wrist) and T3,4,5,6 and 8 in another have slowed me down so much at 57 I regret it every day. 

Thank the gods for computers or I would have nothing to do every day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Rajavej has a very good lady dentist, speaks good English. What I like about her is the fact she will refer me if she thinks the job is more than her skillset.

name?     i guess they have a dentistry dept ?    never knew if they do 

shame,  i used same dentist for a long time.   my cleanings are very fast and simple .  Just hit up the mrs  for  a bit too much,   and told me now 700 ,  from 500 for cleaning.

when prices should at least be stable............... she wants more

• Haha 1

On 10/29/2020 at 2:14 PM, giddyup said:

I would have taken better care of my teeth". Not my quote, but it's appropriate. I'm 78 now and have 20 teeth left out of the 32 I would have if I'd looked after them better. Fortunately most of those are in the front top and bottom, but not much left in the way of molars. My father did insist on me cleaning my teeth when I was young, but it was a pretty perfunctory clean with what was a dog-eared toothbrush, no Oral B's or floss in those days. I did start to look after them ore as I got older, but still ended up with a mouth full of fillings.

That drove me to having many crowned when I first came to Pattaya 11 years ago, however, the ones that I had crowned are most of the ones I've lost. Unbeknownst to me decay can still get under a crown and rot away the tooth without you being aware of it. Whether this was because of a bad dentist who fitted the crowns, or just what happens, I really don't know, but it looks like it might entail dentures at some time in the future, something I always dreaded.

Same age, much the same experience. Fact is, however well we care for our teeth, they deteriorate with age.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Best thing in my life now, is finding the right woman that loves me, will take care of me until I die and who really could not give a hoot if I have a denture or not !

And have her chew your food for you.

4 hours ago, rumak said:

name?     i guess they have a dentistry dept ?    never knew if they do 

shame,  i used same dentist for a long time.   my cleanings are very fast and simple .  Just hit up the mrs  for  a bit too much,   and told me now 700 ,  from 500 for cleaning.

when prices should at least be stable............... she wants more

Think I have a card back at the condo, in the village at present. Upstairs on the RHS, opposite the canteen. They do have a price list for various dental services.

Perhaps your dentist is just following the time-honored Thai business model, I have fewer customers, I need to raise prices. Have a couple of friends in Australia who have all their dental work done in Thailand when they come for a holiday.

Something you should be aware of when having teeth removed is that the act of applying pressure to the tooth signals your body to keep the bone density high behind the tooth, when you remove a tooth that pressure is no longer there and the density of the bone started to lessen. 

Lose too many teeth and you start to lose the shape of your jaw. 

If you have to lose a tooth it is a good idea to get it replaced as soon as possible.  This is another reason implants are superior to dentures.  Dentures don't put pressure on the bone, whereas implants do.

https://pasadenaperiodontics.com/bone-loss-treatment/

• Like 1

bad dentist who fitted the crowns

You are right, bad dentist is the one who makes the tooth life shorter. Unfortunately to any dentist I went this is what they say: the one who worked on your teeth has not done a great job and I try to do my best. ????????????

The genes are involve as well. It's not only about how you take care of your teeth, that is part of it, but not all. 

I would have taken better care of my teeth". Not my quote, but it's appropriate. I'm 78 now and have 20 teeth left out of the 32 I would have if I'd looked after them better. Fortunately most of those are in the front top and bottom, but not much left in the way of molars. My father did insist on me cleaning my teeth when I was young, but it was a pretty perfunctory clean with what was a dog-eared toothbrush, no Oral B's or floss in those days. I did start to look after them ore as I got older, but still ended up with a mouth full of fillings.

That drove me to having many crowned when I first came to Pattaya 11 years ago, however, the ones that I had crowned are most of the ones I've lost. Unbeknownst to me decay can still get under a crown and rot away the tooth without you being aware of it. Whether this was because of a bad dentist who fitted the crowns, or just what happens, I really don't know, but it looks like it might entail dentures at some time in the future, something I always dreaded.

If your wallet is still filled, you are still looking handsome.

BC674576-11AB-4659-B030-BDE47A58F7CA.jpeg

I had chronic depression when I was younger and I didn't brush my teeth for days at a time.  The bone loss is forever.  Once it's gone it's gone.  I live in constant discomfort.

boogie2988 had what was left of his teeth ripped out and replaced.  It actually looks really good.