Australian Beef steak in Makro.

CharlieH

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2020 at 2:41 PM, CharlieH said:

20201029_144301.thumb.jpg.301b06ad27905e7330d3db807c0df977.jpgJust aheads up for others. I recently noticed the AustralianBeef steak in Makro Butchery section and both the Striploin and Rump steaks were great !

The Rump was only 200 baht ! for 450grm and cut 18mm thick not like the thin slithers you usually see.

When I first saw it I thought they got the price wrong, but took full advantage, bought several packs and havnt been disappointed with any of it.

Which Makro market is that (which location)?

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

That was Phetchabun. Not seen it back there again in the last week. Now mostly Thai Bramen beef, whatever that is ?

I can tell you what Thai Brahmin beef is...terrible!!!  I got some Brahmin Rib-eye at Foodland and it was the worst steak I've ever cooked; almost inedible even though it looks like a really nice cut...thick and well marbled.  Really sad to be honest.

So...the quest continues, to find a decent steak like an American Rib-Eye (my favorite) ????

Edited by WaveHunter

Just now, WaveHunter said:

I can tell you what Thai Brahmin beef is...terrible!!!  I got some Brahmin Rib-eye at Foodland and it was the worst steak I've ever cooked; almost inedible even though it looks like a really nice cut...thick and well marbled.  Really sad to be honest.

Doesnt surprise me to be honest, never liked the look of it. I was sad when they stopped the Aussie steaks. They always do this, get something good but once ots gone thats it, they dont seem to restock.

Just now, CharlieH said:

Doesnt surprise me to be honest, never liked the look of it. I was sad when they stopped the Aussie steaks. They always do this, get something good but once ots gone thats it, they dont seem to restock.

LOL!!! That's the story everywhere in Thailand!  Even at 7-11, they'll have some really delicious snack food (which is pretty unusual for 7-11), and then when I go back to buy more, they are out of it, and it's never to be seen again.

• Like 1

I saw this place mentioned in another thread: 

TKM Food Solution

https://www.facebook.com/tkmfoodsolutionthailand/

I'm not sure what their complete line of meets are but these two were featured on their Facebook page, and it looks like it's worth checking out.

22C4AC25-0807-4655-9B88-9BEE1254FDFB.png.004b8ff566360365ffea79b2ff384fb5.png

US Choice Striploin Steak Portion  Size 250 g  Price(Baht) 360/Portion

7BE91AC7-BEA1-4E3B-A9C8-E21C9E35A0FF.png.9ab423604c9a03d105222558622755bf.png

???????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????? ????????????????????????

60 grams = 18 THB + vat

120 grams = 36 THB + vat

100% Australian beef

Minimum order 1 kilo

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

So...the quest continues, to find a decent steak like an American Rib-Eye (my favorite) ????

Having had a look at your post re TKM, seem a bit pricey for a ribeye:

version8-pdf-Google-Drive.png.e9beca5712c0ae81fbd5dab0fda0a03d.png

Quite a range of products, not sure if they deliver but price list at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HbrJ-gAAJ0M_VgonQmVpVZghN2L4xpU-/view

Also this mob that appears to be cheaper https://manstonfoods.com/products/:

1607302077_Products--Manston-Foods-Thailand.png.232ba7c944ce0e62f5a41a7f646a0934.png

Edited by Salerno
Added Manston
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

Having had a look at your post re TKM, seem a bit pricey for a ribeye:

version8-pdf-Google-Drive.png.e9beca5712c0ae81fbd5dab0fda0a03d.png

Quite a range of products, not sure if they deliver but price list at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HbrJ-gAAJ0M_VgonQmVpVZghN2L4xpU-/view

Also this mob that appears to be cheaper https://manstonfoods.com/products/:

1607302077_Products--Manston-Foods-Thailand.png.232ba7c944ce0e62f5a41a7f646a0934.png

@Salerno Thanks so much for finding the TKM listings and especially thanks for the heads-up on Manston Foods  That sounds like just what I was looking for! ????

Edited by WaveHunter

@WaveHunter No worries, when you mentioned TKM it rang a bell, pretty sure that was the mob mentioned on a cheese thread so had to have a look which, in my as always with things like this, meant I ended up "wandering" around various other "leads" from their page for an hour or two (yes I know, I need to get a life 555).

Looks to me like Manston are aiming at the same market as TKM with similar product range and they state they deliver all over Thailand (although bit vague on wholesale v retail and costs) so could be handy for @CharlieH if he gets a craving for Aussie steak and Makro is still trying to flog him Thai Bramen beef ????

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, vogie said:

Bought a couple of packets of these AU knuckle cuts from Makro, what would be the best way to cook them, could I cook them like steaks or would they be better minced and put in my sausages?

IMG_20201220_103934.jpg

IMG_20201220_104044~2.jpg

Just give it a bit of a pounding to break up the sinew, put in a plastic container in the fridge overnight. Even better if you can soak it in a bit of wine.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Michaelaway said:

Braise or slow cooker.

Yep, that's what I do when I buy meat like this........ make a boeuf bourguignon, or as others might say, a beef stew.

Season it well and cut it into nice chunks, then cut some bacon into small pieces and quickly fry it, then add the meat to seal it, then put it all in a slow cooker (you can seal the meat, or not if you want) and add red wine, mushrooms, whole shallots, chopped garlic and chopped carrots, along with some beef stock (oxo will do) and some tomato paste, plus herbs of your choice (bouquet garni is my favourite).

I put it in my slow cooker for three hours, then remove a good portion of the stock and reduce it, and adding a little mixture of butter and flour (roux) whilst doing it, to thicken it up a bit.

Other things I have tried are adding a bit of port during the cooking, using celery in the mix and a few other herbs as the mood takes me.

Served with some mashed potato, mixed with a little olive oil, and a hearty red Aussie wine.........

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

make a boeuf bourguignon, or as others might say, a beef stew.

On the nice recipe, just add a Belgian beer while cooking, and you get a :

" Gentse/Vlaamse Stoverij-/- Carbonnades Flamandes" ( Ghent/Flemish stew ).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Yep, that's what I do when I buy meat like this........ make a boeuf bourguignon, or as others might say, a beef stew.

Season it well and cut it into nice chunks, then cut some bacon into small pieces and quickly fry it, then add the meat to seal it, then put it all in a slow cooker (you can seal the meat, or not if you want) and add red wine, mushrooms, whole shallots, chopped garlic and chopped carrots, along with some beef stock (oxo will do) and some tomato paste, plus herbs of your choice (bouquet garni is my favourite).

I put it in my slow cooker for three hours, then remove a good portion of the stock and reduce it, and adding a little mixture of butter and flour (roux) whilst doing it, to thicken it up a bit.

Other things I have tried are adding a bit of port during the cooking, using celery in the mix and a few other herbs as the mood takes me.

Served with some mashed potato, mixed with a little olive oil, and a hearty red Aussie wine.........

Sounds a great recipe, but with the price of wine over here I may substitute the red wine for red grape juice.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Sounds a great recipe, but with the price of wine over here I may substitute the red wine for red grape juice.

Good point Vogie, so that's why I always seek out normal red wine which is on special, and there's enough of it about at the moment, and if there is plenty, I keep some in my wine cooler specifically for the recipe.

Other than that if I have had half a bottle of red wine which I have tired of (sometimes happens) I freeze it for use later on.

Never tried the recipe with just grape juice in its own??

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Add the beer as well as the wine, or instead of?

Instead of.

In fact it is more or less a variant of a French daube.

But as we are a beer country, we substitute the wine by beer.

In Flanders, more common to use dark beer, in Wallonia, amber or blond.

• Like 1