Reconciliation committee just govt’s excuse to buy time, says Pheu Thai

webfact

Reconciliation committee just govt’s excuse to buy time, says Pheu Thai

By THE NATION

800_e05eaf9f49ae905.jpg?v=1603953669

Prasert Chantarawongthong

Key opposition party, Pheu Thai, announced on Thursday that it will have nothing to do with the reconciliation committee that the Cabinet decided was necessary to resolve the ongoing political crisis.

After the Cabinet meeting on Wednesday, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said the panel will be appointed by the lower House and will include representatives from different parties, the Senate, members of Parliament and pro-democracy activists. Also on Wednesday, Prayut agreed to “switch off” the unelected Senate’s power to vote for a prime minister, but insisted he will not resign.

Meanwhile, Pheu Thai secretary-general Prasert Chantarawongthong said the reconciliation committee was unnecessary and was merely a bid for the government to buy time.

“Pheu Thai Party and the opposition will not join this committee. The government should listen and respond to MPs’ proposals directly instead of handing the responsibility over to someone else,” he said.

“The proposals that the opposition presented at the Parliament’s extraordinary session are clear: The PM must resign and arrested protest leaders released. The PM has just these two jobs.”

He added that the next step will be for the opposition to file a no-confidence motion against the premier and ensure the Constitution amendment is complete.

Suthin Klungsaeng, the chief Pheu Thai whip, also said this reconciliation committee will only serve as a shield and allow the government to remain in power.

“To solve this crisis in the short term, we will need to amend Section 272 of the Constitution to take away senators’ powers to vote for a PM, while in the long run, we need to set up a charter drafting panel to draft an entirely new Constitution,” he said. “As for political protests, I believe the situation will improve once solutions become clearer.”

Meanwhile, House Speaker Chuan Leekpai said he agrees with the idea of setting up a reconciliation committee and has contacted King Prajadhipok's Institute to help design the panel’s structure and responsibilities.

“The institute has members who are qualified and experienced in politics and should be able to find a suitable solution, as well as invite representatives of protestors to join the committee,” he said. “However, the setting up of committee is still being studied and it will have to be presented to Parliament for approval.”

Palang Pracharat MP Wirat Rattanset, who is also chief coalition whip, said after the Wednesday meeting that he is confident Parliament will start considering the draft of charter amendments by mid-November.

“This draft will cover proposals by the opposition and general public, as well as details on setting up a charter drafting assembly,” he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30396976

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-29

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

There are no flies on this lot.

One minute you have that horrible wench from the PPRP telling the young protester that it's only about 100,000 people who want change and millions love Prayut, the next minute you have the PPRP talking about setting up committees to calm things down.

If millions love Prayut and it's only about 100,000 who don't, why do anything? 

6 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

There are no flies on this lot.

One minute you have that horrible wench from the PPRP telling the young protester that it's only about 100,000 people who want change and millions love Prayut, the next minute you have the PPRP talking about setting up committees to calm things down.

If millions love Prayut and it's only about 100,000 who don't, why do anything? 

They behave like hens in a henhouse, when the fox (the protesters) succeeded to open the door. But, there still is the owner of the hens who will come to rescue the hens, and this guy has a big gun.

• Like 2

please correct me if i am wrong...

when these kinds of committee's are set up they have a head or leader. this leader gets paid more as a new title is designated. 

who will head that panel ? what will the extra pay be ? 

if i am wrong forget this comment. 

Actually the PM and 2 others are like close brothers. They have lots of wealth and

lots of backing, and connections as well.  The Elite in Thailand, appear to be

on their side, as well as the super rich and powerful people in Thailand.

It will take a lot more than student protests to get this lot out of government.

I do hope that the country does have a world monitored election soon and that

some one else shows up to lead the country as a true democracy, but I shall

not hold my breath. or get my hopes up in any way.

Geezer

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

He added that the next step will be for the opposition to file a no-confidence motion against the premier and ensure the Constitution amendment is complete.

They should kick-off an online no confidence vote, to be signed by anyone in the nation in the safety of their own home, without the fear of arrest or intimidation by the authorities. 

That vote could then be handed in to the government for an election to appoint another PM.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Bingo. Another winner.

The committee to design the committee has been identified.

Phew. For a minute I though that they'd skip this crucial step.

Yep, and it's going to take a while because in order for them to be able to design it, they have to haul everyone along with friends and family (and mistresses) in first class to some exotic location to study how other countries have arranged a similar committee. And of course rinse and repeat for the actual created committee to study how it has been implemented elsewhere in practise. Unfortunately due to the corona situation there will be a delay due to travel restrictions blocking this crucial step of the process. But they are on it, so please stop protesting everyone.

• Haha 1

Ahhhh yes...

The Thai govt are predictably releasing their secret political weapon..

It never fails..!!

The creation of the sub committee of the sub committee of the sub committee..!

Always works, to ensure:

delay delay delay..

referral referral deferal..

And kick the unwanted issue down the road into oblivion..

Wooooow.. ????????????

Well played..! 

Of course PTP won't cooperate. Their idea of reconciliation is to hold a vote in the early hours of the morning, after all opposition have been sent home by being told the vote won't be till the next day! And of course, vote to totally whitewash their big boss and give him lifetime immunity.

Luckily for Thailand I think the new younger breed of politically savvy protesters and campaigners for change know PTP too well to be influenced by this gang. And won't let them try and grab power for their own benefit.

• Confused 2

39 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Of course PTP won't cooperate. Their idea of reconciliation is to hold a vote in the early hours of the morning, after all opposition have been sent home by being told the vote won't be till the next day! And of course, vote to totally whitewash their big boss and give him lifetime immunity.

Luckily for Thailand I think the new younger breed of politically savvy protesters and campaigners for change know PTP too well to be influenced by this gang. And won't let them try and grab power for their own benefit.

It must be galling for you to see PTP on the side of right again, standing in solidarity against the current Govt and it's delay tactics. 

Still clinging on to the Thaksin obsession I see. Time to move on mate. Let it go. 

• Like 1