Security of Residence

5 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Regular tourist visas and non-O visas are not available.  

There is a new single entry tourist visa available now in low risk countries. it requires 500k baht in a bank account for 6 months to apply for it.

In some cases a non-o visa can issued. For example if married to or the parent of a Thai.

As wrote before I expect the may soon allow those with valid extensions of stay with re-entry permit for retirees. But if it expires the problem would be getting a single entry non-o visa at the majority of embassies and official consulates.

I had planned to go to Vietnam to avoid Songkran I was very lucky that my flights were cancelled before I actually left. Two weeks later I would have been locked out of Thailand for who knows how long. I do have a daughter in Thailand but even then it seems that many people with retirement Visas and dependents in Thailand are having extreme problems coming back to Thailand especially from countries with lots of covid19 cases. I do like visiting local countries but that will be some years away before it's possible. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Those with existing or new OA visas can get a certificate of entry now and I not don't think it will much longer before they can get one with a one year extension of stay based upon retirement.

IMO at the this time it would be best to stay in the country unless the trip needs to be done urgently.

Ubonjoe, are you saying that currently only people applying and getting a new O-A visa or people who still have time left on their O-A visa's are allowed back into thailand. 

And not people who have a O-A visa and have a extension of stay granted for another year based on the O-A visa? 

If that's the case I didn't realise that. 

And as always thank you for your help. 

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

1. Doubt that many with PR are locked out, and any other VISA/extension is just permission for a temporary stay.

Really not much sympathy, nobody forced them to leave the country.

2. I doubt international travel will ever be as cheap and easy as it was (next 10 years), flights will be expensive, borders will frequently close, conditions to enter countries will be expensive and restrictive. Now that most of the foreigners have gone it's much much easier to extend my permission to stay in Thailand because immigration offices are empty instead of being packed.

Choose a country, stay in it until you die ....... is the obvious answer.

Even for those who can't get insurance because of existing  health problems. or are just too old.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, onebir said:

But for many visa types, the Thai government isn't ok with that...

I'm already here, been here 11 years, just put in an application for a 1 year family extension.

Under consideration, no insurance required, I've never had any.

Not my fault people are too stupid to enter at the right time, with the right VISA.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

44 minutes ago, ketherin said:

Ubonjoe, are you saying that currently only people applying and getting a new O-A visa or people who still have time left on their O-A visa's are allowed back into thailand. 

And not people who have a O-A visa and have a extension of stay granted for another year based on the O-A visa? 

Yes to both of your questions.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

I  see no threats to me living here at present.

I should travel to 3 countries for business deals but at present I will not,

Long term (after 30 years) I do not have a home anywhere else.

Right now I could not be in a better country

I agree. Covid is proving to be unpredictable in many ways worldwide.  I don't want to live anywhere else but I would like to travel abroad some time. But recognise that matters outside of my local control I can do nothing about so I accept that I am fortunate enough with my situation here that covid is little more than a distraction from my normal routine! I am going next week to Krabi for a week to enjoy being a foreigner but without hoards of tourists around.

• Like 2

I used to think PR meant something but nothing short of Thai passport constitutes legal residence in Thailand.

How many months were PR holders blocked entry due to Sars covid-19?

O-A, Thailand Elite , Thai Wife , working or student you are nothing but a temporary visitor. Have a plan B. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I used to think PR meant something but nothing short of Thai passport constitutes legal residence in Thailand.

How many months were PR holders blocked entry due to Sars covid-19?

O-A, Thailand Elite , Thai Wife , working or student you are nothing but a temporary visitor. Have a plan B. 

My Plan B was the Philippines, shot to bits now. Plan C is back to Australia, and buy a mobile home.

• Like 1

Lets just agree with the idea that people with permanent residence to a country should be allowed entry.

The virus does not discriminate. Japan also blocked foreign residents. I was hanging out  there three months. Thai people were walking around in circles, some no money. I doubt any westerners were boarded on NRT-BKK flights in April and May it was bleak.

3 hours ago, natway09 said:

I  see no threats to me living here at present.

I should travel to 3 countries for business deals but at present I will not,

Long term (after 30 years) I do not have a home anywhere else.

Right now I could not be in a better country

Me too - and on the specific issue of security I left Madagascar 5 years ago where my house was surrounded by razor wire, two guards, had a state of the art burglar alarm  and innumerable security lights - so yes I do feel secure here. And compared to most European countries or the USA, the risks from COVID are infinitely less - 'though I appreciate the gov'ts strict border control.

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

Insurance can become required for all visa types after 1 cabinet meeting.

I'm OK with Cambodia, assuming any Asian countries ever open up again.

Doubt I'll have any worries at all over anything in the near future.

Edited by BritManToo

4 minutes ago, ThaiTraveller2000 said:

Thailand didn't prohibit people with PR from returning.  PR already know that they follow the same path as Thai citizens, and presumably contacted the local embassy if they desired to return.  The formalization announcement normalized what was already the case.

The problem with embassies and PR, is they typically may have no experience with PR since they no longer have to contact them, so additional discussion may be required.

Cheers

I think one of the problems in Tokyo is local where the Thai Embassy will not entertains applications

unless Thai, or legal residents of Japan. Foreigners cant even get Thai tourist visas there.

30 minutes ago, George Aylesham said:

Me too - and on the specific issue of security I left Madagascar 5 years ago where my house was surrounded by razor wire, two guards, had a state of the art burglar alarm  and innumerable security lights - so yes I do feel secure here. And compared to most European countries or the USA, the risks from COVID are infinitely less - 'though I appreciate the gov'ts strict border control.

I don't think their is a good comparison to Thailand.

If you take a Malagasy wife can you enter the country freely?

Is there path to permanent residence through marriage or work?

• Sad 1

On 10/29/2020 at 4:55 PM, ubonjoe said:

Those with existing or new OA visas can get a certificate of entry now and I not don't think it will much longer before they can get one with a one year extension of stay based upon retirement.

IMO at the this time it would be best to stay in the country unless the trip needs to be done urgently.

As to the Covid continuing period, not a problem after the initial finding the way was worked out. Inconvenient with the lockdown, the alcohol ban but ... well, happy to be in Thailand rather than the USA without question. Thailand has been my only residence for nine years now. Do I wish to travel? Yes but Covid has affected all countries ... I’ll wait.

• Like 1