Security of Residence

On 10/29/2020 at 10:55 AM, ubonjoe said:

Those with existing or new OA visas can get a certificate of entry now and I not don't think it will much longer before they can get one with a one year extension of stay based upon retirement.

IMO at the this time it would be best to stay in the country unless the trip needs to be done urgently.

My retirement ext. has just expired while being locked out.

I could apply for OA visa but my husband is too old to get insurance. All I really want is to pack up our home in Bkk after this episode. If I can help it I will not walk away from our bank account. I'm not very hopeful at present. 

4 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Given the unpredictability of future requirements for retirees to be able to extend their stays, I am reconsidering my decision to leave Japan.  I have permanent residence and health insurance there.  I don't have health insurance here and I anticipate that it may be required for my future extensions.  If I were able to buy it at the age of 78, it would be practically useless with all of my preconditions.  It would just add to my cost of staying here.  Maybe I will decide to spend the summer months in Japan each year so that I have a place to go if my residence here.becomes untenable.  I realize that I was depending on the generosity and liberality of the Thai government but that seems to be waning.

Don't give up Japan if you can avoid doing so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Letseng said:

My retirement ext. has just expired while being locked out.

I could apply for OA visa but my husband is too old to get insurance. All I really want is to pack up our home in Bkk after this episode. If I can help it I will not walk away from our bank account. I'm not very hopeful at present. 

One way is to withdraw it all, then exchange baht for another currency. As I understand it, there are no restrictions on how much foreign currency one can take out of Thailand, only baht.

As a pensioner on marriage extensions, I do not have any immediate risks to my continued existence here. BUT in the last 10 years there have been at least 10 'amendments' to the immigration rules which could potentially impact me - so it is true that i am not a resident but a temporary visitor ......

So a long term future here? who knows.

Of an immediate concern is the re-entry requirements. Usually i do one round trip  to the UK each year, which used to cost me a lot less than 1,000 GBP. It would now cost me 3 times as much, with the return always open to question.

• Like 1

I am back in Thailand  on an existing O-A retirement visa from a short visit to Switzerland for family reasons and hopefully can leave quarantine soon.

I feel very comfortable here, also because of Covid-19.

Though I have much leeway to meet O-A requirements, I am in the process of acquiring an Elite Superiority Extension visa for THB 1m. Peace of mind for 20 years and not much different from blocking THB 800k on an account, which amount may be increased in the next 20 years. For me better than PR down the road.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 8:20 PM, Captain Monday said:

I don't think their is a good comparison to Thailand.

If you take a Malagasy wife can you enter the country freely?

Is there path to permanent residence through marriage or work?

Although slightly off subject the Malagasies give a ten year multiple entry visa to foreigners resident there. If I remember rightly your had to have a couple of one year visas under your belt first. But the initial query was about safety and i can assure you from bitter experience that Thailand is far, far safer than Madagascar.

• 2 weeks later...