Visa extension denied

I tried to apply for a 60 day extension but was told by the immigration officer that I would need to provide an embassy letter. I've heard reports that other offices have granted extensions without an embassy... can anyone clarify which offices?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rob20 said:

I tried to apply for a 60 day extension but was told by the immigration officer that I would need to provide an embassy letter. I've heard reports that other offices have granted extensions without an embassy... can anyone clarify which offices?

Wow, that's bad luck! Which office did you go to? I went to ubon and was overcharged - 3,900 baht but my application was accepted. Have to report back next week for the final stamp of approval.

2 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Wow, that's bad luck! Which office did you go to? I went to ubon and was overcharged - 3,900 baht but my application was accepted. Have to report back next week for the final stamp of approval.

Chiang Mai Immigration office near the airport. I was told that "someone" outside could help me out without documentation, but I think I'll pass on that. 

Might have to try a nearby province tomorrow

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, rob20 said:

Chiang Mai Immigration office near the airport. I was told that "someone" outside could help me out without documentation, but I think I'll pass on that. 

Which visa/extension of stay are you on?

1 minute ago, 2530Ubon said:

Which visa/extension of stay are you on?

Arrived on visa exemption, extended once and now on visa amnesty which ends on Saturday. From what I've read online, the extension was for anyone on amnesty so I didn't think it would be a problem leaving it so late. Now I guess I have tomorrow to sort it or risk overstay

2 minutes ago, rob20 said:

Arrived on visa exemption, extended once and now on visa amnesty which ends on Saturday. From what I've read online, the extension was for anyone on amnesty so I didn't think it would be a problem leaving it so late. Now I guess I have tomorrow to sort it or risk overstay

Did you apply for an extension prior to the 26th September or did you leave it and get lucky with the late amnesty announcement?

1 minute ago, 2530Ubon said:

Did you apply for an extension prior to the 26th September or did you leave it and get lucky with the late amnesty announcement?

Left it late and lucked out I guess. I was going to extend during the final days but then some news sources reported it was going to be extended so I decided to wait. Not hopeful for another last minute amnesty extension which is why I wanted to do the 60 day extension

8 minutes ago, rob20 said:

Do you have a recent history of back to back visa exempts prior to covid? If so perhaps they don't deem you as being a genuine refugee. 

1 minute ago, Promula said:

Do you have a recent history of back to back visa exempts prior to covid? If so perhaps they don't deem you as being a genuine refugee. 

Back to back visas yes, but I have a fresh passport so they didn't see that and they didn't bother to check on the computer

5 minutes ago, rob20 said:

Left it late and lucked out I guess. I was going to extend during the final days but then some news sources reported it was going to be extended so I decided to wait. Not hopeful for another last minute amnesty extension which is why I wanted to do the 60 day extension

Perhaps that's why - you didn't apply prior to the announcement last time

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, rob20 said:

Hope your luck didn't just run out...

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Apparently they are not familiar with the requirements for a 60 day extension. All that is needed is a affidavit completed and signed.

Anyone happen to have a copy of the affidavit form? maybe I could print a copy and fill it out to see if they would accept it, or any other official sources that state the embassy letter is not required?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rob20 said:

Anyone happen to have a copy of the affidavit form? maybe I could print a copy and fill it out to see if they would accept it, or any other official sources that state the embassy letter is not required?

That's a good idea - try searching 60 day extension in the TVF search box - there are a lot of people who have posted the forms. As your a tourist entry, you could fly to Ubon and do it there - stay in a hotel the night before. You may be charged 3,900 instead of the 1,900 elsewhere

Edited by 2530Ubon

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Nobody is a refugee. Not sure where you came up that.

The form is a special case request to remain in Thailand due to inability to leave i.e. a request for refuge in Thailand. Not as a non-immigrant or for work or tourism. 

Edited by Promula
  • Like 1

This is very strange. Chiang Mai is a major destination popular with tourists and expats so Chiang Mai Immigration should be aware of the latest directives coming from Bangkok.  Immigration offices in Nakhon Nowhere are aware of the 60-day extension without the need for further documentation so this really doesn't make sense.

rob20, did they also ask you for evidence of flight cancellation and quote you a fee?

56 minutes ago, rob20 said:

I'm curious how much the visa agents charge for their assistance?  Maybe it makes sense to just pay the fee. 

I had the exact same issue as the original poster at Chiang Mai immigration when I went there yesterday. They told me that without the an embassy letter (UK is not providing them any longer) I would need to provide evidence that I cannot leave the country then I would have to have an interview etc before I could extend.

Like the original poster I didn't renew on Sept 26th and have been on amnesty since my visa expired in May. I thought that was the reason they wouldn't let me extend this time.

Maybe I should try calling the 1178 information line tomorrow to get the proper information?

1 hour ago, rob20 said:

I have seen it on the thai visa advice facebook page, there's two different variations of it. one is English only the other is English & Thai 

You can provide some evidence, if your in america, eu, uk cases of covid19 have blown up. print out the immigration facebook announcement showing the letter is not required.

9/10 they just want something on paper.

10 minutes ago, ELMqgp said:

You can extend your visa at the Chiang Mai Immigration Office, but you should not consult the volunteers outside the Immigration Office.

I didn't speak to the volunteers. I spoke to 2 immigration officers sitting behind the counter.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Apparently they are not familiar with the requirements for a 60 day extension. All that is needed is a affidavit completed and signed.

This is at least the 2nd report I have read of people without a Embassy letter being denied 

I was also told by Immigration that one is required

It seems either yourself or Immigration are wrong on this

The form does say Cannot get a Embassy letter however i'm sure Immigration know which countries will supply them and which ones won't so maybe if your's is one of the countries that does supply them they are still expected

Also the link you supplied on a thread I started does state that the UK Embassy are awaiting for further instructions from Immigration

7 minutes ago, ndreamer said:

I have seen it on the thai visa advice facebook page, there's two different variations of it. one is English only the other is English & Thai 

You can provide some evidence, if your in america, eu, uk cases of covid19 have blown up. print out the immigration facebook announcement showing the letter is not required.

9/10 they just want something on paper.

I can't seem to find any official information about no letter required. I've checked on both the website and facebook. This is what I found: https://www.facebook.com/ImmigrationBereau/photos/pcb.203250077987437/203250051320773

"Terms and conditions are as specified by the Immigration Bureau" ... but no link to what these are