Visa extension denied

3 hours ago, JayKni said:

Chiang Mai immigration when I went there yesterday. They told me that without the an embassy letter (UK is not providing them any longer) I would need to provide evidence that I cannot leave the country then I would have to have an interview etc before I could extend.

This is exactly what I'd expect and what I was shouted down for predicting earlier this month. The form is not a gift for anyone that wants to remain. It's a legal declaration that you can't leave and replaces an official personalised statement from your government via the embassy letter.

There's no way I'd try to use one when there are flights to my country, simply because I don't want to board them. Doing so is criminal fraud using a police document IMO.

Edited by Promula
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Apparently they are not familiar with the requirements for a 60 day extension. All that is needed is a affidavit completed and signed.

Hi Joe, before  the amnesty ended I was panicked into getting  a 3 month  volunteer  visa which expires 26 to December, what  are my options  when  this expires  please. 

I have consulted the Bangkok Immigration Department and you do not need any consulate letter to extend. You can apply for visa extensions at immigration offices in other cities. It is already a fact that Chiang Mai does not comply with the General Directorate of Immigration.

I'm not sure why so many struggle with the concept of having to swear and prove that they are unable to depart the kingdom per the document's key wording. That's the purpose of this extension IMO, intended for the small minority to which this applies rather than everyone.

I think IOs are going to be told to reign them in when they realise how many are applying without justification. 

Edited by Promula

1 minute ago, Promula said:

I'm not sure why so many struggle with the concept of having to swear and prove that they are unable to depart the kingdom. That's the purpose of this extension IMO, intended for the small minority to which this applies rather than everyone.

I think IOs are going to be told to reign them in when they realise how many are applying. 

Firstly your thoughts do not speak for the Thai government and secondly I have contacted the General Directorate of Immigration to get definitive information that no consulate letter is needed to allow the extension.

5 minutes ago, Promula said:

I'm not sure why so many struggle with the concept of having to swear and prove that they are unable to depart the kingdom. That's the purpose of this extension IMO, intended for the small minority to which this applies rather than everyone.

I think IOs are going to be told to reign them in when they realise how many are applying. 

You don't know Thailand at all, and anyone can easily get any visa extended by paying some tips. 

10 minutes ago, ELMqgp said:

Firstly your thoughts do not speak for the Thai government and secondly I have contacted the General Directorate of Immigration to get definitive information that no consulate letter is needed to allow the extension.

I didn't say that a consulate letter is needed. Did you actually read what I wrote?

3 hours ago, Promula said:

I'm not sure why so many struggle with the concept of having to swear and prove that they are unable to depart the kingdom per the document's key wording.

You seem to struggle with reading that form. There are several check boxes, and any applicant is obviously well-advised to tick only those that apply to their particular situation.

For anyone still needing a 60 day extension at chiang mai, I suggest going to the office near the airport on Monday with the usual paperwork along with proof that your embassy will not issue you a letter and proof of a flight back to your home country before December 30. You might have to be persistent to get this done! best to go there early

Forgot to mention: 2 copies of everything were needed

Apparently you can also pay to get the extension sorted outside without any documentation. Prices seemed to range from 6,000-10,000 baht. If I had to repeat this day, I would have just paid this fee most likely... 

Edited by rob20
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Even with my PR, am I not considered as a refugee?? 5555555

Not according to the definition of it. "A refugee, generally speaking, is a displaced person who has been forced to cross national boundaries and who cannot return home safely." Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugee

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

who cannot return home safely.

And that is the legal oath being signed on the affidavit. 

"I don't have non-immigrant status,  there's a pandemic in my destination country that is a significant personal threat to my health & there are no flights to get me there anyway, so I have no choice but to stay in Thailand longer but don't want to illegally overstay."

My understanding is that those are the only people who should apply.  I think anyone else applying by making a false statement that the above is true is technically no more legal than if they simply overstay. 

Edited by Promula

58 minutes ago, Promula said:

And that is the legal oath being signed on the affidavit. 

"I don't have non-immigrant status,  there's a pandemic in my destination country that is a significant personal threat to my health & there are no flights to get me there anyway, so I have no choice but to stay in Thailand longer but don't want to illegally overstay."

My understanding is that those are the only people who should apply.  I think anyone else applying by making a false statement that the above is true is technically no more legal than if they simply overstay. 

?????? You don't have " non-Imm" stat. ????