Committee Agrees to Reduce Travel Quarantine

snoop1130

11 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

they've caught quite a few cases around the 14 day mark, that it wouldn't make sense.

How many is "quite a few"? From memory of the articles posted on here, they have been tested positive on day one or day 3-5.

21 hours ago, Sametboy2019 said:

Who would of thought a Thai business would of been lax to procedures? Reporting elsewhere she caught it 17 days ago before arriving. Didnt know you could pinpoint a day of infection!

Farang do wrong. Got infected in dirty France not “perfect Thailand “.  ????

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, essox essox said:

IF they are going to do this then why extend the state of emergency NOT make any sense !!

When you have an angry mob trying to get you out of your money making political office whilst having billions of baht stashed as an military officer.....covid SoE is the perfect foil

22 hours ago, Mavideol said:

the wise one has spoken.... did he forgot that a French lady stayed in quarantine for 14 days and tested negative, a week later  travel to Kho Samui and then tested positive

She was not French, she was Thai but has duel nationality - this was stated as such to ‘save face’.  But your point is correct, they might as well scrap quarantine altogether as it seems your highly likely to catch this sham flu virus from the locals... I do feel for the lady wasting all that money for nothing.  Thailand are suffering so badly and when the truth gets out with returning tourists riddled with Covid 19, this Country is going to have a huge egg on its face.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

The Issue at hand is that if you test positive here in Thailand you are taken to a hospital where you will be tested again.  Then if you have any symptoms you will stay in the hospital until they declare you cured.  If you test positive and you are Asymptomatic, you will continue to stay in a quarantine location until you clear with a negative or develop symptoms at which time you go to the hospital.  For the rest of the world if you are Asymptomatic you self isolate at home until 14 days is up and you test negative.  My sister, her husband, and two girls just finished the 14 day self isolation and tested negative after testing positive, 14 days ago, as they were without symptoms.  This was after one of the girls friends tested positive and she had been at their house 4 days before and before she tested positive.  Family went through a drive through testing location and were told to self isolate unless they developed symptoms.  So being Asymptomatic outside of Thailand is treated different than it is here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Salerno said:

How many is "quite a few"? From memory of the articles posted on here, they have been tested positive on day one or day 3-5.

Nonsense. I've been following cases quite closely - many have been caught in quarantine on the 13th - 14th day (the last test).

8 hours ago, GeneH said:

Seriously if the French lady had the virus after 14 days of quarantine this only tells me she acquired it in Thailand. She became sick after a week of being released? Incubation period is 2 to 14 days so all I can say is that Thailand does indeed have covid19 in the country and Thailand is not doing nationwide testing so they can prove they're virus free. I could be wrong but it seems the simplest answer is usually the answer.

Spot on.....last i saw Thailand is not an island. Most definitely there is COVID in Thailand....but no one is getting tested. To quote a famous statesman tRump....if you test less; they will be less covid cases. ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

Spot on.....last i saw Thailand is not an island. Most definitely there is COVID in Thailand....but no one is getting tested. To quote a famous statesman tRump....if you test less; they will be less covid cases. ????

You can't hide deaths or hospitals over filling - which is what is happening in Europe. 

Thailand hospitals are very quiet. If the virus was raging through the population then these hospitals would be busy. 

Is there Covid cases in Thailand? Most likely ... but nothing on the level of Europe or the USA. 

Edited by AndrewMciver
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

Nonsense. I've been following cases quite closely - many have been caught in quarantine on the 13th - 14th day (the last test).

So "quite a few" has now become "many". Please enlighten me by providing a link to the many as I remember maybe 1 from the last few articles I've read.

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Issue at hand is that if you test positive here in Thailand you are taken to a hospital where you will be tested again.  Then if you have any symptoms you will stay in the hospital until they declare you cured.  If you test positive and you are Asymptomatic, you will continue to stay in a quarantine location until you clear with a negative or develop symptoms at which time you go to the hospital.  For the rest of the world if you are Asymptomatic you self isolate at home until 14 days is up and you test negative.  My sister, her husband, and two girls just finished the 14 day self isolation and tested negative after testing positive, 14 days ago, as they were without symptoms.  This was after one of the girls friends tested positive and she had been at their house 4 days before and before she tested positive.  Family went through a drive through testing location and were told to self isolate unless they developed symptoms.  So being Asymptomatic outside of Thailand is treated different than it is here.

Makes perfect sense.   What’s different is that self isolation is not a money making cure for thailand

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

So "quite a few" has now become "many". Please enlighten me by providing a link to the many as I remember maybe 1 from the last few articles I've read.

Go research on those who have tested positive in quarantine. Someone does a daily post on it. 

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Disease Control Department will issue strict regulations on the new measures to monitor the quarantinees for another four days after they complete the mandatory 10-day quarantine.

What a farce.  Do these people expect to be taken seriously.  What's the point?

3 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

You can't hide deaths or hospitals over filling - which is what is happening in Europe. 

Thailand hospitals are very quiet. If the virus was raging through the population then these hospitals would be busy. 

You still do not get it. It is not about Thailand not having serious cases as you want to ascribe to, by saying that the Hospitals are not full and people are not dying.  The issue is about the not testing and finding the Asymptomatic cases or those that have what may seem like a low level cold, or flu or something else.  Folks do not go to the hospitals or clinics here unless they are really ill.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

Makes perfect sense.   What’s different is that self isolation is not a money making cure for thailand

That is 100% correct.  There has to be money made somewhere here, so why not with quarantine.  They unfortunately are killing themselves with this issue.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

Thailand has a hot climate, and in Europe during summer the hospitals were empty as well. It is a false narrative to always claim that the hospitals in Europe were full of dying people all the time. The Covid deaths per day in Europe were around 10 per country during summer.

I agree that now in autumn the numbers in Europe are growing. This only confirms the impact of the climate, and nobody should neglect that when comparing countries.

It is quite likely that the situation in Thailand is similar to Europe during summer time, but with very few testing one will never know. But 10 deaths per day with a diagnosis on pneumonia hardly would cause a lot of publicity.

And also it is quite clear that European tourists, if tested negative, would not pose a big danger when arriving to Thailand, as the Thai climate helps to prevend a spread of the virus even if one is tested false negative. 

I spend alot of time in Florida and India .... the hot climates aren't helping them. Sure they may contribute, but it's not the overriding reason. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Committee Agrees to Reduce Travel Quarantine

S__28172550-e1603954141693-1536x.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 29 (TNA) – The National Communicable Disease Committee agreed to reduce travel quarantine to 10 days from 14 days in Thursday’s meeting, said Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Ministry Anutin  Charnvirakul.

The Disease Control Department will issue strict regulations on the new measures to monitor the quarantinees for another four days after they complete the mandatory 10-day quarantine.

Contact tracing system will be put in place and they must adhere to social distancing rules, avoid crowded places and wear face covering.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news/line-today-english-news-573375

tnalogo.jpg

-- © Copyright TNA 2020-10-29

... hope soon it will be 7 days ???? Then I will think about travel to Thailand!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

I spend alot of time in Florida and India .... the hot climates aren't helping them. Sure they may contribute, but it's not the overriding reason. 

It IS the overriding reason, as shown by European numbers today. This has to do with the livetime of contaminated aerosoles and droplets in the ambient air. But it is related with other effects of course.

In India you have a very dense population, which can lead to high infection rates even when the lifetime of the droplets/aerosoles is shorter due to the heat. And in Florida, you might have had parties in, or even Covid-parties, as strong drivers. 

In Europe, one of the strongest drivers for the growing numbers in the recent weeks were big indoor parties of Arab and Turkish families with hundreds of participants. Such a behaviour together with the hot and wet climate made the situation more serious now. It's in the news daily.

Thailand is a save country regarding Covid and would stay save also with open borders, Western tourists and no quarantine, due to the climate, some social characteristics and the usual way that tourists enjoy the hot weather outdoors whenever possible. Negative tests when entering the country, some sensible advices and a minimum discipline of the visitors would be sufficient.

Edited by Flying Saucage

7 hours ago, rabas said:

There's a graph for that, from Cambridge:

urn:cambridge.org:id:binary:20200626071209786-0935:S0950268820001338:S0950268820001338_fig1.png?pub-status=live

You are right, about 10-20% will test positive after 10 days! 

Even at 14 days, 1 out of 100 will test positive. I read about 4 to 10 testing positive during quarantine almost everyday. So even now, 1 will test positive after quarantine every 2 weeks, like the thai lady did.

So Anutin's thinking: as a new wave sweeps the world, make sure 20% get in.  Lord almighty, a concrete worker, responsible for immunology, for a Thai military government.

Catching 70-80% of all infected individuals is a higher efficiency than the vaccines currently in third stage trials can offer. 

Also, when playing with statistics like this, please remember that most if not all of the people eligible for this 10 day quarantine have been tested before their flights. And we know that an extremely low percentage of these have been found     to be infected during the 14 day quarantine. Almost all of the infections found have been among the untested Thai travellers. 

So if the current scheme has thrown up ten infected individuals, reducing the quarantine with four days might mean we miss one or two infected individuals, given the same volume of travellers. Hardly something to get alarmed about. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

Thailand has a hot climate, and in Europe during summer the hospitals were empty as well. It is a false narrative to always claim that the hospitals in Europe were full of dying people all the time. The Covid deaths per day in Europe were around 10 per country during summer.

I agree that now in autumn the numbers in Europe are growing. This only confirms the impact of the climate, and nobody should neglect that when comparing countries.

It is quite likely that the situation in Thailand is similar to Europe during summer time, but with very few testing one will never know. But 10 deaths per day with a diagnosis on pneumonia hardly would cause a lot of publicity.

And also it is quite clear that European tourists, if tested negative, would not pose a big danger when arriving to Thailand, as the Thai climate helps to prevend a spread of the virus even if one is tested false negative. 

You could attribute it to the weather. But there are other factors at play. The warmer season coincides with holidays, kids not being in school, adults not going to work, people not crowding the public transport system. When they return to their normal routines the infection numbers go up. Whatever the weather is. 

I’ve noticed something weird about the hospitalisation statistics. The numbers have been going up in Europe for number of patients in ICUs. It’s an undulating curve. It dips at the end of every calendar month and then rises. How can that be? Do people miraculously get better around paydays?

1 hour ago, AndrewMciver said:

Is this just a recommendation or a proposal ? 

Personally ... they've caught quite a few cases around the 14 day mark, that it wouldn't make sense. 

That’s when they are tested. Once at the beginning of quarantine and once around day 11, which is the twelfth or thirteenth day depending on how they count day 1. 

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

It's not about deaths, it's about avoiding overloaded ICU in the hospitals.

Ah, so deaths mean nothing ???? I see.

And you don't see a correlation between deaths and hospitalisations?

Denmark has had nearly no restrictions for the past two months (yesterday got some), and has 125 hospitalisations right now, 18 in intensive care, 6 in respirator.

Exactly what planet are you from? Care to do just a little bit of research before you claim anything? 

Jesus!

• Confused 1