Typhoon Goni Warning

NCC1701A

"A typhoon that is the most intense storm of 2020 is swirling in the North Pacific, and it's heading for a direct hit on the Philippines.

Super Typhoon Goni rapidly intensified this week, and as of Friday boasted sustained winds of 285 km/h, putting it squarely at Category 5-equivalent strength.

Goni looks to keep much of its strength over the next couple of days, and may still be at least Category 3 Sunday morning when it strikes Luzon in the Philippines, the country's most populous island that is also home to the capital Manila."

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/strongest-storm-of-2020-typhoon-goni-rolly-en-route-to-the-philippines

wp2220 (3).gif

22W_301800sair.jpg

Capdfgnhture.JPG

Cwxapture.JPG

Capdfvdbture.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

LoL seems to be!  I received an image from NOAA-15 this morning - still no sign of that typhoon.  Here's the antenna BTW...

qfh1.jpg.62f8f04f3f12d780e4f617e52e0c3a6a.jpg

your antenna is working extremely well. Congratulations on fabricating it. a total pain to make those curved elements.

I have a SDRDuo, SDRUno, HackRF, and two NooElec SDRs with a Diamond D3000N Discone antenna and various other antennas. 

Edited by NCC1701A

Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC):

further intensified (Category 5 - Super Typhoon) and is now having 1-min maximum sustained winds of up to 295 km/h and gustiness of 360 km/h. Source: Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC)

Unfortunately it looks like we will be seeing more destruction in the  Philippines soon.

http://bagong.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/tropical-cyclone/severe-weather-bulletin/2

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Congratulations on fabricating it. a total pain to make those curved elements. 

I also thought it would be a pain to construct.  But it was very easy.  The curved elements are just wires connected to the top, midle and bottom supports - so they naturally follow a curved line.  From start to finish, I built this antenna in one morning ????  It works very well! (NOAA-15 image from this morning...)

NOAA-15-311020.thumb.jpg.63e51f9fbd841c47e6f87e0e1a8fc9af.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I have a SDRDuo, SDRUno, HackRF, and two NooElec SDRs with a Diamond D3000N Discone antenna and various other antennas. 

You could organise guided tours to interested people. Explaining why you have so many and also about the purpose of each....

• Haha 2

Right now more concerned with the Philippines as they lost more than 6 thousand in the last super typhoon that hit the same area in 2013.  More than a million have been evaculated but that is a two edged sward with Covid such a problem there.  Winds are now estimated to be at least 315 KPH.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Right now more concerned with the Philippines as they lost more than 6 thousand in the last super typhoon that hit the same area in 2013.  More than a million have been evaculated but that is a two edged sward with Covid such a problem there.  Winds are not estimated to be at least 315 KPH.

I once considered retiring there.  Storms like this scared me off!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I once considered retiring there.  Storms like this scared me off!

One reason to either live on west coast (land/mountains quickly kills wind speed) and in Southern islands - very few track through Cebu or lower.  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2

reading on Twitter that Goni will be in the top five storm in terms of wind speed to strike land.

Department of Science and Technology

Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and
Astronomical Services Administration is down:

http://bagong.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/

it does look like the storm is tracking slightly more south now.

wp2220 (4).gif

22W_010000sair.jpg

Capdfgdfbture.JPG

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 2

https://www.metoc.navy.mil/jtwc/jtwc.html?tropical

REMARKS: 010300Z POSITION NEAR 13.6N 122.9E. 01NOV20. SUPER TYPHOON 22W (GONI), LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 165 NM EAST-SOUTHEAST OF MANILA, PHILIPPINES, HAS TRACKED WESTWARD AT 15 KNOTS OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS. MAXIMUM SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT AT 010000Z IS 140 FEET. NEXT WARNINGS AT 010900Z, 011500Z, 012100Z AND 020300Z. REFER TO TROPICAL DEPRESSION 23W (ATSANI) WARNINGS (WTPN32 PGTW) FOR SIX-HOURLY UPDATES. 2. JUSTIFICATION FOR CORRECTION: CORRECTED INITIAL INTENSITY TO 130 KNOTS.//

• Like 1