About Chiang Mai Immigration's refusal to extend covid-19 visa

I went to the Chiang Mai Immigration office promenada yesterday and they refused to renew my visa without consulate letter. But immigration officials said the visa could be extend at the immigration office at the airport without any consulate letter. Anyone experiencing the same situation, please update here!

Edited by ELMqgp

48 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

The plausible deniability of corruption continues.. 

Yep, looks like Chiang Mai Immigration are up to their old tricks again - as when retirees who were not prepared to avail themselves of expensive agency services were forced to queue up for their next retirement extension from the small hours to have any chance of their application being dealt with later the same day.

Edited by OJAS

19 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

The plausible deniability of corruption continues.. 

One of the worst forms of it too as the agent services in CM are very high, and only to get a short term extension or similar thing done.

Like getting quotes of 6-7K baht for a 60 day non-o extensions VS a yearly one for 20K ish baht in Pattaya.

Just now, ChaiyaTH said:

One of the worst forms of it too as the agent services in CM are very high, and only to get a short term extension or similar thing done.

Like getting quotes of 6-7K baht for a 60 day non-o extensions VS a yearly one for 20K ish baht in Pattaya. 

Happy I am not dealing with them, mine works with Khon Kaen. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Why not just take the bus to Chiang 

Rai or any other province, check in to a hotel and then go to the local immigration office the next day?

Bad idea. Chiang Rai Immigration is worst than CM believe me. And not as many agent in CR too.

By the way i have use an agent for the first time in Thailand, not sure i can post the name here ?

Let's say they assist me for Thai visa ???? In Chiang Mai.

It was just a normal extension (refused many times in Chiang Rai and Mae Sai), cost me 3100 so only 1100 extra. VIP service kind of : transport, immediate processing at airport office, took 5mn total no issue at all. 

I came on monday afternoon, was short for the next day for appointment, so i got it wednesday.

This agency has an office, look very professionnal and reliable.

And at immigration the guy from agency was obviously in very good terms with IOs, talking and laughing.

I do not know for the 2 months extension, i would suggest to ask this agency.

3 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

By the way i have use an agent for the first time in Thailand, not sure i can post the name here ?

Let's say they assist me for Thai visa ???? In Chiang Mai.

It was just a normal extension (refused many times in Chiang Rai and Mae Sai), cost me 3100 so only 1100 extra. VIP service kind of : transport, immediate processing at airport office, took 5mn total no issue at all. 

I came on monday afternoon, was short for the next day for appointment, so i got it wednesday.

This agency has an office, look very professionnal and reliable.

And at immigration the guy from agency was obviously in very good terms with IOs, talking and laughing.

I do not know for the 2 months extension, i would suggest to ask this agency.

Someone on this forum has already contacted the agent you recommended. The agent quoted 9000 baht.

1 hour ago, Sambotte said:

Bad idea. Chiang Rai Immigration is worst than CM believe me. And not as many agent in CR too.

But we only have reports of CM pulling this scam. Pai might be a good option. Even flying to Bangkok where they're definitely accepting applications without an embassy letter would be cheaper than using an agent although do bear in mind you have to return for the final stamp.

Edited by edwardandtubs

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 8:00 PM, ELMqgp said:

I went to the Chiang Mai Immigration office promenada yesterday and they refused to renew my visa without consulate letter. But immigration officials said the visa could be extend at the immigration office at the airport without any consulate letter. Anyone experiencing the same situation, please update here!

So how did you resolve it?

And which immigration in Chiang Mai did you go to?

On 10/31/2020 at 5:31 PM, edwardandtubs said:

But we only have reports of CM pulling this scam. Pai might be a good option. Even flying to Bangkok where they're definitely accepting applications without an embassy letter would be cheaper than using an agent although do bear in mind you have to return for the final stamp.

I thought the rules are nation wide directives. What if after flying to Bangkok, the same thing applies?

22 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I thought the rules are nation wide directives. What if after flying to Bangkok, the same thing applies?

Other forum members have posted that they successfully extended in Chiang Mai, one came armed with a print-screen and Thai translation of the notice on the American Embassy website which states they will not issue embassy letters.
You could also look in the thread “60 day extensions” and print out and fill in the visa form before you go. On this form it specially says “embassy will not issue letter” and you just tick this box. 

13 minutes ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

Correct.  I just visited the US Embassy website and they say they will not issue letters because they are no longer required.  So I think if immigration required them, the embassy would offer.  

Why would you think that embassies would issue a "letter" when some have stated that they will not.

19 hours ago, alw22 said:

Have there been any success stories with the new 60 day covid extension in CM?

I was planning to go, but don't want to waste my time, so may wait until I'm in another province.

u just pay 9000b to agent without any docs will get extension 60days.