Teen dies by suicide after shattering the family smartphone he used for online classes

This story contains content related to suicide.

A 16-year-old in Western India killed himself after smashing his family’s phone screen, the Independent reported.

Rohit Varak lived in the western state of Goa and dropped the smartphone shared by his family of six while he was using it to attend online classes earlier in October.

He was reportedly found dead four days later.

The case is among many reported suicides in India related to the country’s lockdown.

Many schools in India remain closed, and families, such as Varak’s, are struggling with access to education and technology. 

“It would have cost about Rs 3,000 ($40) to repair the phone,” Rohit’s sister Neha Varak, 18, told the Independent.

My father did not have that kind of money.”

Varak’s uncle also spoke with the Independent and said the family has been heavily affected by the pandemic and that they are not earning enough to meet daily expenses.

Varak’s father works as a private bus driver, an industry hit hard since the country’s lockdown.   

Other members of the family, like Rohit’s 12-year-old brother Gyanu, have been unable to attend classes since the phone broke.

Neha’s future in nursing college is also in jeopardy given the phone and family’s financial state. 

“I want to be a professional nurse, but how will I afford it without any scholarship or external support?” Neha told the Independent. 

The pandemic in India has highlighted large pre-existing inequalities within the country’s schooling system, Ankur Sarin, a school systems academic, told the Independent. 

FULL ARTICLE

• Sad 3

Just a broken phone screen ... very sad how such a small accident can lead to the death of a 16yrs old . How desperate that situation must have been that he did not see another way out , but to kill himself . RIP .

• Like 2
3 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Just a broken phone screen ... very sad how such a small accident can lead to the death of a 16yrs old . How desperate that situation must have been that he did not see another way out , but to kill himself . RIP .

Around 140 million people lost their job, additionally, since covid alone in India. Life seems to hold little value nowadays, they stab you for 50 euro in Europe too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

This is very sad, it shows not only the effect covid is having on family finances but also the importance given to such devices.

Here is something amusing I found on Reddit, an overheard conversation.

Two American teenage girls are arguing ;-

"So, you think I can't live without you, who do think you are, my phone charger" ?

He was using it for study during COVID so yes its an important device and in this case used for something important. So not sure what you are on about. You might be right about other times but in this case he broke the only tool that could help him study during covid. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, robblok said:

He was using it for study during COVID so yes its an important device and in this case used for something important. So not sure what you are on about. You might be right about other times but in this case he broke the only tool that could help him study during covid. 

It was the only phone in the family, used by 6 members

• Like 1
5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

This is very sad, it shows not only the effect covid is having on family finances but also the importance given to such devices.

"So, you think I can't live without you, who do think you are, my phone charger" ?

I'm not sure what anyone's point is to emphasize "American". Most teen-age girls think this way...

3 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

I'm not sure what anyone's point is to emphasize "American". Most teen-age girls think this way...

I agree but It was the way it was presented, probably by an American

17 hours ago, soalbundy said:

she was clearly using an iphone

15 hours ago, milesinnz said:

the huge problem the world faces, but chooses to close it's eyes to...

the "big problem"  that nobody seems to get is that there are wayyyy too many people living on this planet and multiplying at an ever increasing rate !   Take a look at a chart of the world population over the last 100 years or so.        

No sense trying to get anyone to do something about it.  The big big herd of sheep are all following straight ahead............ with the cliff coming ever closer

The one percent that live in ivory towers could care less.   They will always have more than enough

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, rumak said:

the "big problem"  that nobody seems to get is that there are wayyyy too many people living on this planet and multiplying at an ever increasing rate !   Take a look at a chart of the world population over the last 100 years or so.        

No sense trying to get anyone to do something about it.  The big big herd of sheep are all following straight ahead............ with the cliff coming ever closer

The one percent that live in ivory towers could care less.   They will always have more than enough

as poverty and starvation are on decline,

what do you base your assertion that there is waaay too many people on earth on ?

with the technology we possess, we can clearly feed our self, as long as politicians dont actively work against us

Edited by scammed
1 hour ago, rumak said:
17 hours ago, milesinnz said:

the huge problem the world faces, but chooses to close it's eyes to...

Not everybody is closing their eyes

https://news.mongabay.com/2020/10/david-attenboroughs-witness-statement-for-the-planet-commentary/

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

yes, but even David Attenborough could not stir up a debate. I've never seen a debate involving politicians. I think the reason is that these population increases say since WW2 have been religiously driven, and not just one religion either. So we will never see a debate at the political level (and the problem will never be addressed). There will be huge numbers of suicides and desperation found in the most religious countries (Africa where Nigeria is on the verge of some sort of civil war)... and then where does religious extremism come from... it would not be possible if everyone was well fed and leading productive lives. Why is it that you and I seem to be the only ones openly debating this issue.. well it feels that way to me.