Walmart pulls firearms, ammunition from U.S. store floors as civil unrest flares

webfact

7 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

According to these statistics they are not...

https://fullfact.org/crime/robbery-uk-world-leader/

The UK overtook the US in 2017.

But in any case you could try banning guns in the US. Good luck with that.  If even 10% of people refused, you would still have millions of firearms in circulation, and I can guarantee that more than 10% of gun owners would refuse.   So realisticallly another solution is needed. 

The whole gun banning thing didn't work out too well in Australia when they tried after a mass shooting. There is little evidence that it had any effect other than to disarm the population.

They tried to limit long weapons in NZ after the mosque shooting but the amount of weapons sold to the government was a lot less than the estimated number of weapons in the country. Of course the gangs have no problem obtaining weapons.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

True, but irrelevant to the American context. It's too late for banning them.  How will they be effectively taken/confiscated?  It can't be done, so IMHO the drive to remove them won't ever have any success. Plus there is that pesky "Constitution" thing...

Plus the UK has other crimes to worry about . From what I understand, the robbery and assault rates are staggering. Lots of petty crime and bold thieves who don't have to worry about being either caught or shot.  Not a great solution either I think.

The ruling class from the Queen on down have plenty of protection (with many carrying guns!)...the plebs are left to fend for themselves.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

firearms and ammunition in a department store, among the biscuits, breakfast cereals  and vegetables??  Americans  don't appear to realise how bizarre that is in a civilised , western country.   No real wonder that your school kids regularly end up shooting each other.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

firearms and ammunition in a department store, among the biscuits, breakfast cereals  and vegetables??  Americans  don't appear to realise how bizarre that is in a civilised , western country.   No real wonder that your school kids regularly end up shooting each other.

No...in the hunting and sporting goods department.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PatOngo said:
5 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Just imagine how safe America would be if they ALL had guns and could carry their guns ALL the time where ever they went.

That is the logical extension isn't it?

Just imagine how many dead Americans there'd be!

One doesn't have to imagine. Have you ever heard of Chicago, Il, USA?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

The last few mass covid spread events the President had been saying Biden will confiscate guns

when there is absolutely no chance of it.

Because Republicans won't let them...they would if they could...Robert Francis O'Rouke said the quiet part out loud.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jvs said:
6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As for background checks, criminals apparently have no problem getting weapons without them.

You can be perfectly sane and have high morals and obtain a gun or a lot of guns.

Someday something happens and you snap and shoot some one,now you are a criminal.

You see how this works?

"he should have never bought a fast bike"

"she should never have gone out with him"

"we should never have elected him"

and so on.

The line that criminals always have access to guns is very old and worn out.

It is time people start behaving like civilized beings.

No, I don't see how this works. But I think I see how 'straw man arguments' [wiki link] work.

Do you want all people to 'start behaving like civilized beings'? Good Luck with that!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, jvs said:

You can be perfectly sane and have high morals and obtain a gun or a lot of guns.

Someday something happens and you snap and shoot some one,now you are a criminal.

You see how this works?

"he should have never bought a fast bike"

"she should never have gone out with him"

"we should never have elected him"

and so on.

The line that criminals always have access to guns is very old and worn out.

It is time people start behaving like civilized beings.

LOL. IN NZ loads of people have ( or had ) weapons and never use them on other people. Mass shootings in NZ are very rare.

I used to own several and never fired them in anger or threatened anyone with them.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PatOngo said:
29 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

One doesn't have to imagine. Have you ever heard of Chicago, Il, USA?

Is that anywhere near Buriram?

Ever heard of 'Google Maps' (I even stated Chicago's country, just in case)? BTW, be careful where you Buriram. I'd hate to hear of anything untoward happening to it. :stoner:

Gratuitous TVF Previous Comment Ref. HERE [TVF permalink].

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Then the problem seems to be how enforce the gun laws to prevent criminals from buying guns.

I think a lot of the gun transactions are from other criminals...but there must be a good number using stolen ID.  And of course criminals steal guns...in robberies and such.  When I was a kid...in Stralia, was not unusual to see guys with a rifle slung over their back bicycling out to hunt rabbits.  Dad had a gun rack in the old (not then!) FJ ute with a .22 Brno almost permanently in place.  Sometimes his .303.  For crow control in lambing season he had a .222 Winchester Model 70.  He would cycle out to the lambing paddock before sun-up with a hide...bit like the material used in a Ghillie suit but throw over like a blanket.  He would remain in the one place all day, some days, and on others until the crows departed!  Still lost some lambs.  The crows favourite meal was to pick out the young lambs eyes...if he wasn't there.

Edited by Grumpy John
smelling
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

As a trump supporter surely you regard running as a perfectly acceptable answer if your country should need you?

That's one way to do it...but sometimes it's not enough...like in 1776 and 1861. It's best to be ready for all contingencies. You know what one gun owner said to another:

"I'm down to a thousand rounds..."

"You're running low."

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1