Jump to content

Walmart pulls firearms, ammunition from U.S. store floors as civil unrest flares


Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

I think a lot of the gun transactions are from other criminals...but there must be a good number using stolen ID.  And of course criminals steal guns...in robberies and such.  When I was a kid...in Stralia, was not unusual to see guys with a rifle slung over their back bicycling out to hunt rabbits.  Dad had a gun rack in the old (not then!) FJ ute with a .22 Brno almost permanently in place.  Sometimes his .303.  For crow control in lambing season he had a .222 Winchester Model 70.  He would cycle out to the lambing paddock before sun-up with a hide...bit like the material used in a Ghillie suit but throw over like a blanket.  He would remain in the one place all day, some days, and on others until the crows departed!  Still lost some lambs.  The crows favourite meal was to pick out the young lambs eyes...if he wasn't there.

An obvious reason to not insist on a "one rule fits all" approach to gun control is that the needs in a crowded city are different from those in the country.

 

Does anyone living in a city apartment need a .303?  Do they need a semi-automatic assault rifle?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, so many mass shootings back then. Just give me a minute or so to reload...

Of course we have similar policies in place in the UK.   A lot of our supermarkets will not sell eggs or flour to teenagers at Halloween!

Why, is it the only place that sells?   Good to see some social responsibility.

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, onebir said:

It was a reference to the difference between US & UK gun laws/culture... not any particular detail of the former. (I think it's fair to say 'we brits' don't for the most part care much, or know much about guns.)

Or want to know much. We're adults.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

That's one way to do it...but sometimes it's not enough...like in 1776 and 1861. It's best to be ready for all contingencies. You know what one gun owner said to another:

 

"I'm down to a thousand rounds..."

 

"You're running low."

Let's stick to living memory, after tanks, artillery, machine guns, air power, ICBM's, etc. became the deciding factors in wars.

 

Since the end of the cold war, can you think of any time in any democratic country when armed civilians defended against tyranny?

 

As I recall 2014, armed civilians were one of the excuses for a coup against an elected government and the imposition of a military....

 

I assume we still aren't allowed to use the D-word.

  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, J Town said:

And therein lies the rub. The US mindset is very different. From the onset, they were in a revolt against the British rule. Personal freedom and self reliance was strong - the rugged individualists. Weapons were a necessary tool for survival.

 

Fast forward to the 21st century. Farmers, hunters and law enforcement need weapons, but the carryover from several hundred years of history is difficult to shake. Add the despicable NRA and their lobbyists lining the coffers of purchased politicians and you won't see these laws changing in our lifetimes.

 

I particularly enjoyed Bernie Sanders' view on the matter. He said people in Vermont have very different circumstances than those in California, and gun laws should be left up to the individual states.

Another antiquated amendment to the constitution of the past that ought to be changed together with the electoral college. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, polpott said:

555 You haven't got several hundred years of history.

I believe your math is weak. Think about it. Or don't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, J Town said:

And therein lies the rub. The US mindset is very different. From the onset, they were in a revolt against the British rule. Personal freedom and self reliance was strong - the rugged individualists. Weapons were a necessary tool for survival.

 

Fast forward to the 21st century. Farmers, hunters and law enforcement need weapons, but the carryover from several hundred years of history is difficult to shake. Add the despicable NRA and their lobbyists lining the coffers of purchased politicians and you won't see these laws changing in our lifetimes.

 

I particularly enjoyed Bernie Sanders' view on the matter. He said people in Vermont have very different circumstances than those in California, and gun laws should be left up to the individual states.

That only works if people are not permitted to buy in other states and take the weapons home. If caught then mandatory jail.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, billd766 said:

It used to weigh 9 pounds and 10 ounces without a full magazine as anybody who has slow marched the length of the parade ground with one on his shoulder. A few trips on the parade ground non stop and you will swear that it weighs about 50 pounds in weight.

We had these rifles in the High School cadets in Sydney in the sixties....they were heavy for 15 year olds to cart around on camps....but a great rifle and one which I almost got my crossed rifle award with....200..400 and 600 yards... I think.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Same in Canada.  Go to a hardware store/home center and you can buy a shotgun or rifle, ammo, whatever, as long as you have the correct licensing. They're just guns, man.  

yea, right

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, heybruce said:

An obvious reason to not insist on a "one rule fits all" approach to gun control is that the needs in a crowded city are different from those in the country.

 

Does anyone living in a city apartment need a .303?  Do they need a semi-automatic assault rifle?

Where do you think most of the home invasion robberies, rapes, and murders happen...hint...it's not the country.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I shot my first gun at 6. My dad was  Navy shore patrol. Man targets in the basement. He showed me how to dissemble and blue. I had my first rifle at 11. At that time I could walk down town with the rifle and go into the hardware store and buy bullets. Back then, the gun was a tool to shot some rabbits or tin cans. Now, the people I talk to seem to have raised guns as some status symbol. 

I haven't had a gun in years, don't need one. The last one I saw was two boys coming out of a gun show with a Glock. A little big for rabbits or cans

EDIT I have to take that back, the last was a Mexican military holding a rifle against my head--- How could I forget:)

Edited by bunnydrops
addition
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Really? I would call that the coward's way but I guess you would have to find that acceptable being a trump supporter.

The people who took up arms in the Revolutionary War and to preserve the Union were cowards...if you say so.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

I shot my first gun at 6. My dad was  Navy shore patrol. Man targets in the basement. He showed me how to dissemble and blue. I had my first rifle at 11. At that time I could walk down town with the rifle and go into the hardware store and buy bullets. Back then, the gun was a tool to shot some rabbits or tin cans. Now, the people I talk to seem to have raised guns as some status symbol. 

I haven't had a gun in years, don't need one. The last one I saw was two boys coming out of a gun show with a Glock. A little big for rabbits or cans

Not many killer rabbits or cans out there...many killer people, however, which Glocks are good protection against.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Where do you think most of the home invasion robberies, rapes, and murders happen...hint...it's not the country.

I wonder what the percentage is per population between city and country?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Not many killer rabbits or cans out there...many killer people, however, which Glocks are good protection against.

You didn't see Monty Python and the Holy Grail!!!!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...