Walmart pulls firearms, ammunition from U.S. store floors as civil unrest flares

webfact

5 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Yes...because experience shows us your average civilian is a level-headed, considerate and responsible citizen unlikely to get riled, drunk or do something stupid so why not let them carry a lethal weapon......oh! wait....

I've known a large number of gun owners.  Most only carried their guns when going hunting or to a shooting range. 

However there were a few who worried me.  For example, the "Jesus is coming" Christian who kept a loaded AR-15 in his bathroom.  I don't know if that was in anticipation of Jesus or because of a really bad cockroach problem.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, KhunFred said:

I should add that I am American, but I have never owned a gun nor felt that I NEEDED one.

Good for you!  But many of us are sportsmen who enjoy hunting and sports shooting.  Which are mainly done with rifles and shotguns.  Not other types of firearms who's main purpose is to kill others.

I've had some great times with family and friends out hunting or on the range.  Sporting clays is great fun!!

7 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I've known a large number of gun owners.  Most only carried their guns when going hunting or to a shooting range. 

However there were a few who worried me.  For example, the "Jesus is coming" Christian who kept a loaded AR-15 in his bathroom.  I don't know if that was in anticipation of Jesus or because of a really bad cockroach problem.

Ebp3U4CXgAIh5Su.jpg

Edited by Jeffr2

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Good for you!  But many of us are sportsmen who enjoy hunting and sports shooting.  Which are mainly done with rifles and shotguns.  Not other types of firearms who's main purpose is to kill others.

I've had some great times with family and friends out hunting or on the range.  Sporting clays is great fun!!

I had a good friend in the UK who was obsessed with competition pistol shooting. He claimed that it brought him inner calm. A law came in that all handguns were completely banned and he had to give up the sport he loved. 12 months later he died of a heart attack.

However, he gave his life and possibly saved the lives of thousands of others. If you have to give up your pastime and it saves the lives of many others, would that be a bad thing? There's also the moral dilemma of killing animals for pleasure, which is why we banned foxhunting, an age old tradition of the gentry, in the UK.

If you want to stalk and shoot animals, use a camera, just as much fun and better trophies. You're not teaching your kids that killing is fun either. Its only a short step from shooting a deer to shooting a man.

• Haha 1

I hear ya.  I gave up hunting decades ago.  Just can't get myself to kill "bambi" any more!  Though I'm not against others doing so.  As long as it's done legally.

I don't agree that it's a short step from shooting a deer to shooting a man.  Most of us were hard core about hunter safety.  Hard core as we know the dangers of the weapons.

13 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I hear ya.  I gave up hunting decades ago.  Just can't get myself to kill "bambi" any more!  Though I'm not against others doing so.  As long as it's done legally.

I don't agree that it's a short step from shooting a deer to shooting a man.  Most of us were hard core about hunter safety.  Hard core as we know the dangers of the weapons.

I wasn't talking about weapon safety, i was talking about inducing a mindset into children that killing is OK.

Skeet shooting is a different matter. I once met the skeet shooting Olympic gold medallist, Bob Braithwaite, who lived in a nearby village. He was the local veterinary surgeon and had never shot an animal in his life, he actively campaigned against foxhunting.

Edited by polpott

17 minutes ago, polpott said:

If you want to stalk and shoot animals, use a camera, just as much fun and better trophies. You're not teaching your kids that killing is fun either.

I cannot fathom for the life of me why anyone would want to shoot an animal?.....that is not sport, it certainly doesn't fall into the category of entertainment .....it is just totally and utterly abhorrent. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I cannot fathom for the life of me why anyone would want to shoot an animal?

They taste good.

Not to mention, 40Kg of 'Bambi' meat for a 50c bullet is a bargain and really helps reduce your cost of living.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

I cannot fathom for the life of me why anyone would want to shoot an animal?.....that is not sport, it certainly doesn't fall into the category of entertainment .....it is just totally and utterly abhorrent. 

We ate what we shot.  Same with fishing.  Ate what we caught.  But I hear you.  I can't shoot animals any more.  But I'm not against those who want to if done legally.  I use to know many who really relied on what they shot to help with food for their families.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Surelynot said:

In much of the US there are wild hogs, the feral descendants of European pigs brought over for food and sport.  They breed like rabbits, grow to the size of bears, the adults have no natural enemies, and they will tear up forests, fields and farms looking for food.  Their numbers are controlled by hunting.

Animals with a high reproduction rate must have a high mortality rate, and sometimes the mortality must be assisted by hunters.  Ask an Australian about rabbits.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, polpott said:

I had a good friend in the UK who was obsessed with competition pistol shooting. He claimed that it brought him inner calm. A law came in that all handguns were completely banned and he had to give up the sport he loved. 12 months later he died of a heart attack.

However, he gave his life and possibly saved the lives of thousands of others. If you have to give up your pastime and it saves the lives of many others, would that be a bad thing? There's also the moral dilemma of killing animals for pleasure, which is why we banned foxhunting, an age old tradition of the gentry, in the UK.

If you want to stalk and shoot animals, use a camera, just as much fun and better trophies. You're not teaching your kids that killing is fun either. Its only a short step from shooting a deer to shooting a man.

He gave his life,and possibly saved the lives of thousands?how? Had he discovered a cure for cancer?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, polpott said:

Far safer to walk in to the room, unarmed, arms out wide and try to talk the situation down.

Cowboys have a short lifespan.

On your first point if you haven,t mastered the art of catching a bullet in your teeth,you,'re dead.on your second point so have  idiots.

• Thanks 1

On Sunday night, Trump retweeted a screenshot of the FBI statement (related to the Biden coach incident), adding:

“In my opinion, these patriots did nothing wrong".

Probably the single most frightening tweet during his presidency .....surely even the most ardent and severely lobotomized Trump supporters must see how wrong this statement is? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

On Sunday night, Trump retweeted a screenshot of the FBI statement (related to the Biden coach incident), adding:

“In my opinion, these patriots did nothing wrong".

Probably the single most frightening tweet during his presidency .....surely even the most ardent and severely lobotomized Trump supporters must see how wrong this statement is? 

He did the same with the white supremacists in South Carolina.  And with QAnon nuts. 

I just read that the young man in Wisconsin who killed the protester is being praised by local Republicans.

Insane times.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

He did the same with the white supremacists in South Carolina.  And with QAnon nuts. 

I just read that the young man in Wisconsin who killed the protester is being praised by local Republicans.

Insane times.

The man is insane

• Like 1

9 hours ago, polpott said:

He's never been in that situation. Lives in UK. He's watched all the John Wick movies though.

Haven,t always lived in the uk,not that I have any desire to discuss it with you,and whilst I have finger to keyboard,your comment regarding a vet you allegedly knew who never shot an animal,one of the duties of a vet is to put down injured and ill animals and you,'ll find vets are allowed to own a pistol for that purpose,so in his whole career the vet you allegedly knew didn,t have to put an animal out it's misery? And who's " John wick " ?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kingdong said:

Haven,t always lived in the uk,not that I have any desire to discuss it with you,and whilst I have finger to keyboard,your comment regarding a vet you allegedly knew who never shot an animal,one of the duties of a vet is to put down injured and ill animals and you,'ll find vets are allowed to own a pistol for that purpose,so in his whole career the vet you allegedly knew didn,t have to put an animal out it's misery? And who's " John wick " ?

Animals in the UK are given lethal injections by vets, they are not shot.

2 hours ago, polpott said:

Animals in the UK are given lethal injections by vets, they are not shot.

More old cobblers,are you a vet? How do you know?don,t tell me,you met him in a bar in soi buakhow last nite,suppose he used to be in the sas as well,i could supply details about the legal conditions of possessing a sect 5 firearm in the uk,but can,t be arsed,so just ask your mate john wick.

Interesting that places like Washington DC are getting boarded up and shut down in preparation for post election violence.  Considering that only about 7 Trump supporters live in Washington, I wonder who they are afraid of?   

As I recall, the violence this summer has entirely come from the left- anarchists and looters taking advantage of weak mayors and governors.  At that time, people were boarding up their businesses too in an often futile effort to have them spared the violence.  They sure as hell didn't write "proudly conservative" or "militia forever" or "Proud Boy fan club" on the plywood either. They were all pleas to leftism ("we support BLM", "minority owned", etc).  And still they were destroyed. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Never thought I'd see the day when the International Crisis Group would issue a warning for a US election.  How far we've fallen under Trump.

https://www.crisisgroup.org/united-states/004-us-presidential-election-managing-risks-violence

and most importantly President Donald Trump, whose toxic rhetoric and willingness to court conflict to advance his personal interests have no precedent in modern U.S. history. The risk of unrest may ebb and flow as the final days of the campaign unfold, but it is almost certain to remain, and it will increase if either side forms the impression that the vote has been rigged.

19 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Never thought I'd see the day when the International Crisis Group would issue a warning for a US election.  How far we've fallen under Trump.

https://www.crisisgroup.org/united-states/004-us-presidential-election-managing-risks-violence

Approximately 80% of US folks polled fear violence this week. It's already started with those <deleted> 45 supporters blocking a New York highway (the same sub-humans that condemned BLM peaceful protesters), or 45 supporters trying to run the Biden/Harris bus off the road. That tangerine sack of sins said good things about those who did the auto terrorism and admonished the FBI when they said they were investigating the matter. How can ANYONE defend this abomination, this blight on the Republican party?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Interesting that places like Washington DC are getting boarded up and shut down in preparation for post election violence.  Considering that only about 7 Trump supporters live in Washington, I wonder who they are afraid of?   

As I recall, the violence this summer has entirely come from the left- anarchists and looters taking advantage of weak mayors and governors.  At that time, people were boarding up their businesses too in an often futile effort to have them spared the violence.  They sure as hell didn't write "proudly conservative" or "militia forever" or "Proud Boy fan club" on the plywood either. They were all pleas to leftism ("we support BLM", "minority owned", etc).  And still they were destroyed. 

Don't see the reason why you are surprise that Washington is on edge. The nation's capital has historically been the most prominent spots for demonstrations and other public advocacy. If there are demonstration, it is within their 1st Amendment Rights and they applied for permits. The violence this summer was triggered by events that were deemed as racial injustice and police brutality. It got to a worsened state because of the incendiary language of Trump and his dog whistle to militia right winger group like the Proud Boys. This President divide rather than unite and his offensive rhetoric extend well into the election campaign and any violence thereafter the election will be pinned on him.  

5 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Don't see the reason why you are surprise that Washington is on edge. The nation's capital has historically been the most prominent spots for demonstrations and other public advocacy. If there are demonstration, it is within their 1st Amendment Rights and they applied for permits. The violence this summer was triggered by events that were deemed as racial injustice and police brutality. It got to a worsened state because of the incendiary language of Trump and his dog whistle to militia right winger group like the Proud Boys. This President divide rather than unite and his offensive rhetoric extend well into the election campaign and any violence thereafter the election will be pinned on him.  

Sadly, there are also some left wing groups planning activities if Trump refuses to concede after a loss.

Trump.  The great divider.