Financial experts say ONLY 8 million foreign tourists likely to visit Thailand next year

webfact

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Both of them far too optimistic.

If this country allowed me to bet, I'd bet on no vaccine, borders still effectively closed, and less than 1M.

When you say less than 1 million your just being safe.....I would guess a lot lot less than 1 million like around 300,000 to 500,000....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think Burmese truck drivers really count, this thread is clearly about foreign tourists.

Burmese truck drivers don't have much money, and I've never seen one outside my 7-11 swinging on a bottle of Chang

Edited by steven100

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's getting back to when Thailand was a joy to visit. Wish I could be one of the 8 million. It would be fantastic and I might get treated well, for a change.

People look on it as a bad thing, but I think it's an opportunity to turn LOS around and make it a destination worth visiting, which it wasn't, IMO, before corona.

Had I visited in 2019 for the first time it'd probably be the only time.

I don't get this Thailand is ruined and so. It's still a great place to visit. 

Sure it changed, but all places changed worldwide since mass tourism started. 

I however met a lot of old timers sitting in the bars complain about how things changed, everything is to expensive and so on and bloody tourists ruined the country. 

Don't they realize that they too are tourists that started the problem....we're all part of that.....

Thailand change because we travel there. 

Been to Thailand 12 times and had great vacations and will continue to visit when this Corona chaos is over.

I hope to be one of those 8 millions so I can get back to Samui in July. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

At the moment (July/August/September) 1,500 people/day entered Thailand, foreigners only and that is with land borders closed and draconian travel restrictions. 

Just lifting the restriction a little and we will easily see 2-3 million visitors. 

So lets see if there have been 1,500 a day since July, then we have just under 250,000 entering as of the end of October so that is 4 months x 3 = approximately 750k for an entire year. Yes if they eased the restrictions you might get double that amount in a year, or hell who knows how many are actually still locked out that have valid Visa's or Extensions of stay with re-entry permits.  Just how many can Quarantine facilities house?  Not sure but the numbers per day you listed still seems like quite a few to have entered the country and gone through Quarantine.  Where did you find the stats of 1,500 per day entering the country by the way?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So lets see if there have been 1,500 a day since July, then we have just under 250,000 entering as of the end of October so that is 4 months x 3 = approximately 750k for an entire year. Yes if they eased the restrictions you might get double that amount in a year, or hell who knows how many are actually still locked out that have valid Visa's or Extensions of stay with re-entry permits.  Just how many can Quarantine facilities house?  Not sure but the numbers per day you listed still seems like quite a few to have entered the country and gone through Quarantine.  Where did you find the stats of 1,500 per day entering the country by the way?

From immigration.

Jan-Sep 2020 Arrival-Departure.xlsx

This seems like a good topic for a contest. Winner, closest to the official number, announced in 2022. You would need to factor in vaccine date and distribution, restrictions and travel rules (here and abroad), disposable income, horniness level of expats, 'travel bubbles' and whatever other variables you choose to consider and guess at. Winner gets a member upgrade. ????

8 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Thanks, I tried the website and it would not load, and your link will not load either for some reason.  Apparently my VPN blocks it as suspicious in nature as well as my security software platform.  That is just kind of funny that it thinks it might have a Virus...lol.

I calculate, not predict, 3900 ????, that is 100 and 1000 per month respectively. We already know that STV restriction stay in place till Sept 2021. So that is 100x9 plus perhaps 1000 more from Oct. to Dec. 2021.

6 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Whether it is 8 or 11 million is largely irrelevant, the important part is million.

This can only mean that travel restrictions and quarantine will be lifted.

Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel after all.

It could also be someone coming the other way with a flash light, so I wont be taking any bets.

7 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Whether it is 8 or 11 million is largely irrelevant, the important part is million.

This can only mean that travel restrictions and quarantine will be lifted.

Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel after all.

I thought I saw light at the end of the tunnel. Turned out just be an R soul with a torch bringing more ???? 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's financial experts have said that only eight million foreign tourists from all over the world are likely to visit Thailand next year.

Wow, that's about 20% of 2019 figures... I wonder how some of the attractions are going to survive another year?