Registering a UK marriage in Thailand - the madness continues

As a follow on from my previous threads here 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1177159-registering-a-uk-marriage-in-thailand-the-ongoing-saga/

My friend has successfully registered his UK marriage at the local ampur and obtained a Kor Ror 22. Hurrah!!

Of course (as with pretty much anything he does) there were hurdles.

• He needed a certified copy of his passport (at least that can be obtained from the British Embassy), translated and legalised by the MFA.
  • He and his lady needed two Thai witnesses in order to do the registration (guess who he called, we brought our maid along too).
  • They kept his expensive original documents.

Apart from taking all morning it was all pretty painless.

Next hurdle, they presented a list of requirements to get his yellow tabien baan and pink ID card, amongst other (easy) things.

• His UK birth certificate
  • A UK criminal record check
  • A certificate of residence from the embassy.

All translated and attested etc. etc. like the marriage certificate.

OK, back to the agency in London to sort the UK end for him.

• Thanks 1

Tell me about it Joe, but that's what the list says (in Thai of course) and, like Santa's list, it's been checked twice (actually several times). Confirmed by the officer at the ampur.

I think there's been a new "Boss Man" flexing his muscles.

Talk about TiT ???? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But is it worth all the effort to get a yellow house book and pink ID card is what I would be asking myself.  i replied no many years ago after getting the runaround every time we tried.

I agree and for me it's what Douglas Adams would call an SEP (Somebody Else's Problem).

I would have thrown in the towel, but it's his coin and his time.

I'm posting purely to keep members informed of what they might be asked for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They shouldn't have kept any originals as he might need these again.

I did all of the above - got marriage certificate, degree certificates, signed and then legalised in UK, stamped at the Thai Embassy in London.

Translated and stamped at MFA.

They didn't keep any originals when when we went to do KR22.

Yellow book took 9 months to get! (I think it was just sitting in someone's draw and they forgot to tell us)

I have used pink ID card in hotels, flights, and to join TOPS to get a 2-4-1 coffee deal ????

RAZZ

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

He had good colour copies but they wanted "to see" the originals and then handed back the copies ????

In reality he won't need the marriage cert again now he has the KR22 and few places need an embassy certified passport copy (and it's quick to get anyway).

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

But is it worth all the effort to get a yellow house book and pink ID card is what I would be asking myself.  i replied no many years ago after getting the runaround every time we tried.

Yes it is for a start you can walk into a car showroom and buy a car no need to go to immigration to pay up to get a letter of confirmation of address I also get discounts at certain places where I live I never carry my passport just my pink card. Also when I do my yearly extension of stay I just produce my yellow book no need to show anything else except money in the bank and a medical certificate 

Edited by crazykopite

On 10/30/2020 at 10:30 AM, Crossy said:

Tell me about it Joe, but that's what the list says (in Thai of course) and, like Santa's list, it's been checked twice (actually several times). Confirmed by the officer at the ampur.

I think there's been a new "Boss Man" flexing his muscles.

Talk about TiT ???? 

Not being Macho or sexist are you sure it's not a new " Boss Lady" ???? 555555

• Haha 1

On 10/30/2020 at 11:41 AM, Crossy said:

He had good colour copies but they wanted "to see" the originals and then handed back the copies ????

In reality he won't need the marriage cert again now he has the KR22 and few places need an embassy certified passport copy (and it's quick to get anyway).

Indeed some very strange things happen, for my marriage, in BKK, I also needed 2 witnesses(from my birth country????), obviously back in 2000 I hardly knew anybody in BKK; Answer Umpher, no problem 2 persons just fax copy of their EU. IDcard...... We got married.

• Like 1

They can ask for the documents offially listed. Any other document can be asked for only within reason. Ask them to put the extra documents they want in writing, they will then have to explain the reason why in writing. This can be challenged in court and the letter must be signed by the neigh amphur himself. Reason why they will often backdown.

(As has been explained by my own old amphur, where they know me well. Yellow house book took a certificate that I was no longer registered in my home country from my embassy, which i found a reasonable demand. After that the yellow book was issued the same day, even home delivered as the peson needing to sign it was away for a few hours). When I moved to another amphur the new amphur wanted some extra documents from the old amphur.  The old amphur refused and told me above story. The new amphur backed down and I have no problems getting service from them.  They now also know me well. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 9:12 AM, Crossy said:

Apart from taking all morning it was all pretty painless.

All morning... Painless... I know it could have been more painful, but this really seems a bit of an oxymoron. I'm glad we never went that route.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

All morning... Painless... I know it could have been more painful, but this really seems a bit of an oxymoron. I'm glad we never went that route.

Compared with the run-around we get every year at immigration (WP and business extension for me) it was pretty painless. Aircon and free WiFi too.

• Haha 1

For my yellow book, I needed to add my parents name. I had to get copies of their passports. For a different purpose(choosing a Thai name for the naturalization process, I also needed to get my Birth certificate legalized in the UK, stamped by the Thai embassy in London then translated(did that myself) and verified by MoFA in Bangkok. 

On 10/30/2020 at 11:35 AM, RAZZELL said:

I did all of the above - got marriage certificate, degree certificates, signed and then legalised in UK, stamped at the Thai Embassy in London.

Translated and stamped at MFA.

They didn't keep any originals when when we went to do KR22.

Yellow book took 9 months to get! (I think it was just sitting in someone's draw and they forgot to tell us)

Wow, i just completed mine in a small district office not far from Udon Thani. I'm Australian so the certification of documents was easy but still very expansive. Yellow Book took just under a month to get.

Some Notes.
Translators can get the MFA stamp for you for not much more.

Amphur office at (Wang Sam Mo)
Yellow Book

Photos with the Village Head of the village, His ID, Signed photocopy and he needed to be present

My Wifes ID Car, My Wife
Certified passport (Translated) (MFA Stamp)
Certified Foreign Marriage Certificate (Translated) (MFA Stamp)
They kept original documents, I made good copies. 

I needed to take photos of the house, again with the Village head.

Passport Photos, I gave them 6

Also note you need your BDM Registered Marriage certificate for Australia not your Original Marriage Certificate. Your Certificate needs to include all your information including your parents names.

Kor Ror 22
This was the easy part
Yellow Book, My pink ID card
Witness x 2
Wife
They also required the Foreign Marriage Certificate + Passport translations, they made copies again for this.

Edited by ndreamer
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 11:41 AM, Crossy said:

Hopefully, he does not have to do the reverse for a divorce like I had to do and am still playing games with the Amphur almost two years after we were divorced in the US.  Wish him the best.

On 10/30/2020 at 10:25 AM, ubonjoe said:

What they want for a yellow tambien baan is way over the top. A background check is certainly not required.

At the most it can be a certified copy of his passport photo page from the UK embassy, a translation of it and certification by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA and maybe his birth certificate to prove the names of his parents.

Crossy
You need to point out that they should get the version of birth certificate from the UK with the parents names on it.
Many older people have copies of the certificate that is filled out and signed by hand at the birth, and that does not have the parents names.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 11:12 AM, Crossy said:

I agree and for me it's what Douglas Adams would call an SEP (Somebody Else's Problem).

I would have thrown in the towel, but it's his coin and his time.

I'm posting purely to keep members informed of what they might be asked for.

Your report confirms the ridiculous situation that exists within government bureaucracy of individual offices setting their own policies.

We hear a lot of criticism about Immigration and their policies and procedures but these local government Amphurs are no better.

I live in Chiang Mai Province and the DLT Head Office in Chiang Mai will accept the Pink ID Card / Yellow Book as proof of residence when  renewing a driving licence but the local office will not.

At least it’s only once every six years, yes they issue the licence for six years not five !

On 10/31/2020 at 8:46 AM, crazykopite said:

Yes it is for a start you can walk into a car showroom and buy a car no need to go to immigration to pay up to get a letter of confirmation of address I also get discounts at certain places where I live I never carry my passport just my pink card. Also when I do my yearly extension of stay I just produce my yellow book no need to show anything else except money in the bank and a medical certificate 

To register the new car in your name (been 12 years since I did that) , does this pink ID/yellow house book suffice? It is well known that Jomtiem are insisting on a Certificate of Residence from Immigration, at least for licence renewals. Also, wrt the Retirement Extension, I simply supply a copy of my cable/Internet bill, which seems to be less effort than chasing up this pink ID etc, and I do NOT need a medical certificate. 

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

To register the new car in your name (been 12 years since I did that) , does this pink ID/yellow house book suffice? It is well known that Jomtiem are insisting on a Certificate of Residence from Immigration, at least for licence renewals. Also, wrt the Retirement Extension, I simply supply a copy of my cable/Internet bill, which seems to be less effort than chasing up this pink ID etc, and I do NOT need a medical certificate. 

I probably got it wrong thinking this topic was about marriage registration?????