Cement board roofing

George jose

Please let me inform you it's rubbish. I had a new top quality cement roof put on some 5 years ago and it was fine for almost 4 years, then it all cracked up due to the Sun/heat on it all day. That's when it leaked nothing to do with how it was installed. Sorry no snaps of old as it's now been changed to this. If your happy with your cement roof fine by me, but I'll tell you it will go T/ts up soon. Tip, go look at the guarantee that comes with Cement sheeting??? Oh they don't give one, what a surprise. 

N/B just part of roof the bit at the back is 4/5 times bigger than this part snap of side roof. You got a snap of mine now lets see one of your great cement roof. 

IMGP0009.JPG

Edited by fredob43
  • Thanks 1

Concrete tile roof information.  There are differences in the brands sold in Thailand and in the series of concrete roof tiles. The SLOPE or pitch of a roof is crucial in roof tile satisfaction.  The brochures are clear on minimum pitch for particular series and even what size of the tiles. A good architect would take the customer's choice of roof tile into consideration before designing the roof pitch.   A huge mistake I see is how water from one level of a roof can fall and damage the lower roof section. Proper rain gutters and ENOUGH downpipes cna make a huge difference in how long a roof lasts in any country. Another ERROR is how untrained "roof installers" use cement under ridge tiles. That is wrong. They or the home owner are being cheap and skipping the proper "drytech" rolls and FASTENERS.  Any better home builders merchants will have a display of Profast Drytech product WITH the fasteners. 

https://www.profastasia.com/แผ่นปิดรอยต่อโปรฟาส์ท-ด/

Typical Thai builders cut that corner. Home owners who neglect to install rain gutters and/or enough downpipes have roof troubles that could have been prevented. I've seen Thai builders use wire and not the proper screws to install roof tiles!!!

http://tileroofing.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Facts_of_Tile_Final_Low_Res.pdf

Edited by kamalabob2

1 hour ago, kamalabob2 said:

Typical Thai builders cut that corner. Home owners who neglect to install rain gutters and/or enough downpipes have roof troubles that could have been prevented. I've seen Thai builders use wire and not the proper screws to install roof tiles!!!

I will agree with you Thai builders will skip things. But disagree with your statement you should have gutters. I don't know of many houses here that have them. That's due to the amount of rain one gets in Thailand at times. You would need 2 foot gutters to take that amount. It comes off in sheets at my place. I have some very pricy houses where I live and not 1 has gutters. If you care to look at the house with the blue roof, it's behind my roof snap you will see then that doesn't have any. Snap of some rain coming off a low bit that covers the pond N/B the plastic has now been replaced, that only last around 5 years if your lucky.   

IMGP0013 (1).JPG

Edited by fredob43

For the OP who asked about LABOR costs. Every Home Mart in Thailand can give you the brochure of the well trained subcontractor called 

"Top Hat"   https://www.scghomebuild.com/บริการหลังคาเบ็ดเสร็จ_Und_TOP_Und_HAT

Most every Thai Watsadu and many independent builders merchants stores who sell Diamond Building products can give you the information on "Diamond Roof Installation Services".  This sub contractor has teams in many parts of Thailand.  I have seen their work in Buriram at Lively Homes estate and at Q House and Goldenland estates. 

Both Top Hat and Diamond Roof Installation Services will give written quotes once they see "plans" of the home or building. I've seen bids from both and they are competitive. 

Fredob even not seeing the old roof there is a lot of things that stick out that could be an issue with just any type of roof: the shallow pitch, water falling from one level onto the next, and proximity to ground. Even cutting the eaves that close to the fascia may not be allowed. The builder needs to check if these types of things are allowable no matter what type of roof system is used. Speaking of warranties, I noticed top hat mentioned above has a 10 year warranty. The cement board roofs I have seen seem long lasting as well as their color coatings.

1 hour ago, canopy said:

Fredob even not seeing the old roof there is a lot of things that stick out that could be an issue with just any type of roof: the shallow pitch, water falling from one level onto the next, and proximity to ground. Even cutting the eaves that close to the fascia may not be allowed. The builder needs to check if these types of things are allowable no matter what type of roof system is used. Speaking of warranties, I noticed top hat mentioned above has a 10 year warranty. The cement board roofs I have seen seem long lasting as well as their color coatings.

There not cut close to the facia. They have a 6 inch overlap. If you have seen first hand the roofing I have you would know that it has a 1.1/2 inch heat lagging under it that starts at the facia board to stop any back flow and allow water to run off correctly. It's designed that way by the manufactures. Are you saying that they don't know what they are doing???

Oh and by the way I did say I had never had a problem with the Cement roofing leaking due to the way it was installed, just that they cracked up and leaked due to the Sun/Heat here, that's when it went T/ts up.

So much so it cost me well over 100k bht to have 2 new internal ceilings and a new roof fitted. That was in less than 4 years. That's why I try and put people off from using it. Of cause if you think it's fine go ahead use it. What do I know. Except my Thai builder wont use cement boarding on roofs.  

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

There not cut close to the facia. They have a 6 inch overlap. If you have seen first hand the roofing I have you would know that it has a 1.1/2 inch heat lagging under it that starts at the facia board to stop any back flow and allow water to run off correctly. It's designed that way by the manufactures. Are you saying that they don't know what they are doing???

Oh and by the way I did say I had never had a problem with the Cement roofing leaking due to the way it was installed, just that they cracked up and leaked due to the Sun/Heat here, that's when it went T/ts up.

So much so it cost me well over 100k bht to have 2 new internal ceilings and a new roof fitted. That was in less than 4 years. That's why I try and put people off from using it. Of cause if you think it's fine go ahead use it. What do I know. Except my Thai builder wont use cement boarding on roofs.  

Are these the sheets you had the issue with, i will not use them on my house but have fitted them on a tank shed and one other small sitting area. I was planning to fit them to my garage roof around that is 154 s/m

These cement sheets are from SCG 120 x 50 x 5.5

corrugated-cement-sheets-500x500.jpg

P4010826.JPG

P4010829.JPG

15 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

Are these the sheets you had the issue with, i will not use them on my house but have fitted them on a tank shed and one other small sitting area. I was planning to fit them to my garage roof around that is 154 s/m

P4010826.JPG

P4010829.JPG

They look like the same thing as I had fitted to my roof except mine were red. Shouldn't be a problem with what you are using them for. Just thank Buddha you haven put them on your main roof. You might like to try and put a spare bit out in the sun for a few months and see how Brittle they get. What ever you do don't put pressure on them as they will brake like paper with any weight. 

Edited by fredob43

5 hours ago, transam said:

A 10 year tile warranty is really daft for a roof if one builds a house to build and forget..... 

Please provide a link to the warranty of your roofing tiles.

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

They look like the same thing as I had fitted

Oh that type! Yes I too have seen those become brittle, crack, and lose their color badly. I wasn't thinking of this type when cement board was first mentioned. There are many shapes and sizes of cement board roofing tiles. SCG is usually the better choice for quality.

2 hours ago, canopy said:

Please provide a link to the warranty of your roofing tiles.

Oh that type! Yes I too have seen those become brittle, crack, and lose their color badly. I wasn't thinking of this type when cement board was first mentioned. There are many shapes and sizes of cement board roofing tiles. SCG is usually the better choice for quality.

You seem confused between sheets and tiles ?

Can you post some pictures of the cement sheet you had that was cracked ?

4 hours ago, Isan Farang said:

P4010826.JPG

P4010829.JPG

if these are indeed the OP is talking about ....they are called  "lawn koo"  in thai,  and come in different shapes as mentioned.    I used them on a few houses but used  "CHANG brand " and bought the THICK  ones ( i believe they are 6mm ).    They are thicker and heavier than the thin ones, which can crack more easily.    

Mine are 15 years old now and i have just had men WALK on them to seal around the hooks that they used when installing ( puncture  a hole thru tile and install hook).    That was the OLD way to do it.   Now be sure to use a CLIP to install instead of making a hole in the tiles.    Often the tile at edge of roof they will still use a hole/hook  for strength.

Once again,  i recommend the thick ones if using for a house.    Though i have to admit that now i would go with metal sheet .....

8 hours ago, rumak said:

if these are indeed the OP is talking about ....they are called  "lawn koo"  in thai,  and come in different shapes as mentioned.    I used them on a few houses but used  "CHANG brand " and bought the THICK  ones ( i believe they are 6mm ).    They are thicker and heavier than the thin ones, which can crack more easily.    

Mine are 15 years old now and i have just had men WALK on them to seal around the hooks that they used when installing ( puncture  a hole thru tile and install hook).    That was the OLD way to do it.   Now be sure to use a CLIP to install instead of making a hole in the tiles.    Often the tile at edge of roof they will still use a hole/hook  for strength.

Once again,  i recommend the thick ones if using for a house.    Though i have to admit that now i would go with metal sheet .....

The ones in the picture are Chang Brand (SCG) the thickest they go is 5.5mm

Do you have some link to the fixing clips you mentioned to avoid drilling 

43 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

The ones in the picture are Chang Brand (SCG) the thickest they go is 5.5mm

Do you have some link to the fixing clips you mentioned to avoid drilling 

Siam Cement Group has renamed its Tra Chang building materials line as SCG ...  ok, i see that 

BE SURE  they are thick ( each panel is heavy).   Also the color on mine has  hardly faded at all.

all building supplies and builders will know about the clips.    sorry i do not have a link.

VERY common to use these nowadays.............

• Like 1

Links maybe easier for some people depending on internet connection.

Diamond Building Products home with Jatulon Platinum Grey roof tiles  (not the same as unfinished).  The roof tiles form any brand with the paint coating will last longer and are FAR less likely to have mold and algae.  

Real house in Buriram Province with Diamond Jatulon Roof tiles. Expat designed and Buriram Architect plans. 

https://youtu.be/X2j04g8vAW8

instructions for Thai home builders to install roof tiles in Thailand. 

https://youtu.be/czLhe6n96uU

SCG also has similar videos that prove helpful when building a home in Thailand.