BOSE SoundLink Mini I Will Not Charge - Red Light Flashing

ravip

I have the above device, which started to malfunction yesterday.

It does not switch on.

Battery does not charge.

The Red LED keeps flashing.

I did a reset, but it did not help.

Tried the BOSE Community forum, seems it is a common issue but no solution to be found.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

How is the BOSE after sales service in Thailand?

I'm guessing you've already done a google search and viewed the many help videos?

https://www.google.com/search?q=BOSE+SoundLink+Mini+I+Will+Not+Charge

soundlink mini not charging

community.bose.com | 

"The flashing red LED definitely indicates a power issue on the system. In some cases this is resolved by updating the software on the system (the latest version did fix a few charging related bugs.) To perform this update, start at http://updates.bose.com
If the issue persists even after that update process is complete, then you would need to contact Bose support locally to arrange service for your SoundLink speaker.  In the USA you can call 800-379-2073 - Hours are M-F 9am to 8pm EST; Saturday 9am-6pm; In other regions you can find contact details by visiting http://global.bose.com  and selecting your country from the drop-down menu."

My soundlink mini won't charge, the battery indicator is flashing red

In most of these cases where either the battery no longer with us or the power PCB bust. to find out which it is you will need to open the speaker using guide: Bose SoundLink Mini Battery Replacement

and then using a multimeter to see if the battery can hold charge if the battery is actually dead then you will have to get a new battery. otherwise see if there is anything unusual with the speaker using this guide:

Bose SoundLink Mini Button Switch Circuit Board Replacement

i wish you good luck

-M

Edited by RichCor
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RichCor said:

I'm guessing you've already done a google search and viewed the many help videos?

https://www.google.com/search?q=BOSE+SoundLink+Mini+I+Will+Not+Charge

soundlink mini not charging

community.bose.com | 

"The flashing red LED definitely indicates a power issue on the system. In some cases this is resolved by updating the software on the system (the latest version did fix a few charging related bugs.) To perform this update, start at http://updates.bose.com
If the issue persists even after that update process is complete, then you would need to contact Bose support locally to arrange service for your SoundLink speaker.  In the USA you can call 800-379-2073 - Hours are M-F 9am to 8pm EST; Saturday 9am-6pm; In other regions you can find contact details by visiting http://global.bose.com  and selecting your country from the drop-down menu."

My soundlink mini won't charge, the battery indicator is flashing red

In most of these cases where either the battery no longer with us or the power PCB bust. to find out which it is you will need to open the speaker using guide: Bose SoundLink Mini Battery Replacement

and then using a multimeter to see if the battery can hold charge if the battery is actually dead then you will have to get a new battery. otherwise see if there is anything unusual with the speaker using this guide:

Bose SoundLink Mini Button Switch Circuit Board Replacement

i wish you good luck

-M

Thank you.

Yes, I have gone through many of this, without success.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update...

Today, I removed the battery (4 torx screws).

Plugged the charger and switched on.

It not only powered on, but paired normally with my PC!

But... within a couple of seconds, the red LED flashing started.

Did this about, 3 times and in desperation, fixed the battery back.

Voilà! Now it's working! Let's see for how long...

Buying a battery will be an extremely difficult and expensive procedure these days, I guess... Limited logistics, restrictions on Li-ion battery air-freight, etc...

Sometimes the Li-ion battery will drain below what the Battery Management System is designed as 'safe' and refuse to charge, but connecting/disconnecting/connecting will test charge the battery back above the BMS safe limit and allow it to charge the pack as normal.

Suggest you leave it on the charger for 24 hours and see how it performs.

Getting exact replacement Li-ion batteries might be difficult, but getting similar or something that physically fits and is close enough shouldn't really be difficult.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Sometimes the Li-ion battery will drain below what the Battery Management System is designed as 'safe' and refuse to charge, but connecting/disconnecting/connecting will test charge the battery back above the BMS safe limit and allow it to charge the pack as normal.

Suggest you leave it on the charger for 24 hours and see how it performs.

Getting exact replacement Li-ion batteries might be difficult, but getting similar or something that physically fits and is close enough shouldn't really be difficult.

Thank you! Shall keep it on for 24h as you have advised.

I am a bit reluctant to buy similar Li-ion batteries after a bad experience with my laptop. The battery started sparking while I was working on it. The bad smell alerted me. But, not before it destroyed the mother board!

Edit

The possibility is there for the battery to drain below the BMS threshold as I did not use it for a couple of months. But, Bose says that the speaker goes on a 'shipping mode' if not used for awhile - it had happened before, but this time...

Strip 2.jpg

Edited by ravip

Everybody learned a lesson from the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, where Samsung tried to maximize battery WattHour capacity while going for the thinnest package. Design faults in two different sourced battery package designs lead to catastrophic outcomes.

Samsung Investigation Reveals New Details About Note7 Battery Failures
Batteries for both the original and replacement Note7 smartphones, though designed differently, had dangerous flaws. Some experts ask: ‘Are phones getting too thin?'
ConsumerReports.org | By Mike Gikas and Jerry Beilinson | January 22, 2017

While some battery package designs are problematic, it's usually where the manufacturer is trying to pull rabbit out of their hat to have better competitive product. Most battery packages can be expected to have long, safe lifetimes. So finding a replacement battery for a device that will have plenty of space and little chance of physical impacts should go well.  

• Thanks 1