Koh Samui: Only 10% of properties - some owned by foreigners - on disputed hills are legal

webfact

Lots and lots of infinity pools with sea views.

I wonder if they will take them down while there is now such a low occupancy rate.

The brown envelopes must be getting scarce these days i guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Nah, they'll be abandoned and left to slowly rot.

That's the Thai way.

Not necessarily. 
The southern Thais are a lot more proactive than their Northern and Central cousins. 
Hundreds of encroaching buildings have been bulldozed in Phuket and Phangnga in the last decade. 

eg 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-surin-beach-buildings-destroyed-57100.php

08647AC9-88BF-4DC6-93B0-17E5B31E2058.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Japhrodisiac said:

Are the furious locals the same locals that sold all the land to foreigners for big money, then when the properties are found to be illegal are nowhere to be found?

No, they are probably the locals who had nothing to do with it. Not every Ko Samui resident is involved in real estate. 

• Like 1

As far back as I can remember (mid-90s), a substantial percentage of Samui land deals have been seriously dodgy.  Fake titles, state land encroachment, zoning violations or simply flogging chanote land that the "seller" didn't own.  I can't remember reading about any subsequent prosecutions.  I don't have the stones to buy in that sort of market: too much to lose.

4 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Chewaeng still had a dirt two way road, no Maccas etc.

Wasn't it a great place to holiday back then. Not so much before corona though.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Much of the illegality stems from the fact that they should not have been given planning permission in the first place as the gradient is too steep. 

No <deleted> Sherlock.

Samui, the island of ruined ( IMO ) beaches and houses in danger of falling off the hills. My my, hasn't the gloss come off what used to be a real paradise island.

Greedy developers should be put in jail for what they did to Samui, IMO. Sadly that is quite unlikely to happen. Hopefully they have lost their own money though.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

One in particular comprising 150 units is French owned and has sold units to Chinese and German people. 

One has no sympathy if they end up losing their money with no refund. Hopefully it will put future prospective buyers off for good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KamnanT said:

As far back as I can remember (mid-90s), a substantial percentage of Samui land deals have been seriously dodgy.  Fake titles, state land encroachment, zoning violations or simply flogging chanote land that the "seller" didn't own.  I can't remember reading about any subsequent prosecutions.  I don't have the stones to buy in that sort of market: too much to lose.

think you should replace the word 'stones' with 'brains'...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, from the home of CC said:

so people paid bribes into letting them develop and now have been undone by the investigation of land title fraud - looks good on them..

The right thing would be to demolish them at the developer's expense. If I could I'd go to see them come down. Sadly I expect them to still be there for many years to come. If they can't be occupied that would be some satisfaction though.

• Like 1