Koh Samui: Only 10% of properties - some owned by foreigners - on disputed hills are legal

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Nah, they'll be abandoned and left to slowly rot.

That's the Thai way.

Indeed, why spend (Waste) money ????

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Irregularities? Doesn't he mean blatant fraud and criminal activity by the land department and the judiciary that was supposed to be keeping things honest? I would wager that it involves a lot more th

Don’t investigate the developers. Look at where the land titles and planning permits came from. 

I wonder who sold the land in the first place? Not the 'furious' locals, surely.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

I first went to Samui in 1997. And every year until 2003. Chewaeng still had a dirt two way road, no Maccas etc. Mornings I would float in the sea to recover from my hangover. It was beautiful, tropical paradise surrounded by nature. So beautiful I decided to move to Thailand when sitting on Chewaeng Beach.

Last year I was there and really noticed how ugly it looked now with the hills being built on. 

If they are illegal I hope they bulldoze them all and return the area to nature. It would be good if the French developers return the money to the buyers, but I know they won’t.

Yep, and about that time I was told never invest anything in Thailand you cant afford to walk away from

100 percent deadweight loss. Nobody ever told me I would be barred entry because of a virus. At what point do you just walk away?

25 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Yep, and about that time I was told never invest anything in Thailand you cant afford to walk away from

100 percent deadweight loss. Nobody ever told me I would be barred entry because of a virus. At what point do you just walk away?

At what point do you walk away?  Right now is probably a good time.

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, webfact said:

Much of the illegality stems from the fact that they should not have been given planning permission in the first place as the gradient is too steep. 

So 90% were built with planning permission and official knowledge but remain illegal?

I can smell something.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, connda said:

How do these properties get built illegally right under the noses of authorities?  It's not like the construction and its aftermath is hidden from view. 

Because the authorities are authorizing it and taking the money. They’re untouchable and know it. Duh. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The right thing would be to demolish them at the developer's expense. If I could I'd go to see them come down. Sadly I expect them to still be there for many years to come. If they can't be occupied that would be some satisfaction though.

At the developers expense? They’re long gone. Duh.