Koh Samui: Only 10% of properties - some owned by foreigners - on disputed hills are legal

webfact

2 hours ago, cracker1 said:

I imagine it will be a simple process to find the name of the person at the land office who "Signed" the permit to construct on each of these illegal sites ?

You are making a couple of assumptions there

1   that people sign documents using their real name

2   that the records are filed away nicely in an order that can be searched.

A neighbour of mine went to try and get a copy of his building permit a couple of years ago. He was told 'sorry - many records lost in fire.'

• Haha 2

On 10/30/2020 at 7:42 PM, Swimfan said:

I thought you could not build on land above 45deg slopes? 

I took the trouble to read the laws as they related to Samui  in most of the rest of Thailand you are correct. But there are also constraints on the height  of buildings built on slopes and they can't be built near the top of a hill.

When I first came to Samui I was told it was illegal to build higher than the palms and I loved that idea. 

If that's true, is there not some set of rules in place to protect the hillsides or a limit how much that can be built? 

3 hours ago, Virt said:

When I first came to Samui I was told it was illegal to build higher than the palms and I loved that idea. 

If that's true, is there not some set of rules in place to protect the hillsides or a limit how much that can be built? 

Where I live, 40% of the land for buildings, the rest for agriculture. (Currently at about 70 - 80% for buildings!)

The rules change within 75 meters of the shore line. (Only single storey. Nothing more than 75 square meters etc.)

These were the rules that were given to me when I built my places. I was told about the palm tree rule as well.

• Thanks 1