Cheapest Smartphone

YorkshireTyke

I bought 2 of my sons online from aliexpress umidigi A7 phones around about 2500 baht they are

excellent phones for the money. Just get standard free delivery they still give you a tracking number and even inform you when  it has arrived.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

I've looked at powerbuy online and they have a Apro Air a3, 2 gb Ram for 1.590 Baht. I will probably go for that unless I get a better suggestion today.

Don't even think about it. Absolute rubbish. Don't you like your son? (joking)

nev's suggestion far more likely to be suitable to the task.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Don't even think about it. Absolute rubbish. Don't you like your son? (joking)

nev's suggestion far more likely to be suitable to the task.

Really? That bad? I presumed if Powerbuy sell then it would be reasonable with a one year warranty.

6 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Really? That bad? I presumed if Powerbuy sell then it would be reasonable with a one year warranty.

Really? Is that what you presumed? Just like one presumes when they started selling Windows laptops with Celeron processors and 32GB SD cards for storage that they would be fit for purpose...

Did you even check which version of Android it runs? I'm guess perhaps 5.1....which is why it's not mentioned at all in their sales blurb. Just forget about it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, nev said:

I bought 2 of my sons online from aliexpress umidigi A7 phones around about 2500 baht they are

excellent phones for the money. Just get standard free delivery they still give you a tracking number and even inform you when  it has arrived.

The Aliexpress delivery not the usual 1 month +? 

2 hours ago, nev said:

Though cannot replicate your 2500 baht price tag: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/4089001/search?SearchText=A7&origin=n&SortType=bestmatch_sort&PPValue=200001052-200000752

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001262941055.htm 2675 baht from Nov 11th is what I see.

The A7S is 2120 baht from the same date. Built in thermometer is a novelty: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001296007479.html

None have Full HD screens.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Though cannot replicate your 2500 baht price tag: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/4089001/search?SearchText=A7&origin=n&SortType=bestmatch_sort&PPValue=200001052-200000752

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001262941055.htm 2675 baht from Nov 11th is what I see.

The A7S is 2120 baht from the same date. Built in thermometer is a novelty: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001296007479.html

I got the phones at the introductory price when they was first released I paid in AUD, from over here in Australia they was presents to keep them happy while I am away.

Screenshot_2020-10-30-21-30-22-012_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

1 minute ago, nev said:

I got the phones at the introductory price when they was first released I paid in AUD, from over here in Australia they was presents to keep them happy while I am away.

Screenshot_2020-10-30-21-30-22-012_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

This was the 2nd phone the first was $2 more than the $110 I paid for this one, They both was fighting over it so I bought a 2nd one.

TBH I would try to avoid buying your son a smartphone as long as possible.  I have 2 sons, 16 & 13 & android phones are addictive & kill off family life.

But if you insist on going ahead, if he wants it for gaming, then surely you need to look at something a bit more powerful with more memory?  Xiaomi Redmi note 9?

2 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

TBH I would try to avoid buying your son a smartphone as long as possible.  I have 2 sons, 16 & 13 & android phones are addictive & kill off family life.

But if you insist on going ahead, if he wants it for gaming, then surely you need to look at something a bit more powerful with more memory?  Xiaomi Redmi note 9?

A big jump from 1590 to 5000...

His mother already bought him one a few months back but he lost it so I can't avoid it. I wouldn't call it gaming, he's only 7, he spends more time watching youtube and posting his videos om Tik Tok (we don't know how he learnt to do that !)

She bought him a Huawei Y6p but I'm not spending that much.

I was told last night Samsung do some cheap phones, I will try their shop.

• Like 1

A phone for a 7 year old ???? 

If he’s not going to use it to make calls and its just for playing Minecraft, Roblox, watching YouTube videos etc a tablet maybe a better option. 

My Son (6) has my old iPad Mini and also makes his TikTok videos - its incredible how they learn themselves, making and editing their videos - the educational side is quite impressive so long as he doesn’t watch too much junk.

My Son has actually learned an awful lot from YouTube. His teacher agrees that a Tablet can be a useful educational tool. 

One note: Parental controls and privacy: I had to ensure my Son’s TikTok accounts were completely private (no one could add him, he couldn't add or communication with anyone else) - this is also a learning curve for the parents !!!! 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Just for playing games

that means at a bare minimum 6 GB RAM,

games is by far the most demanding app around.

on the 2 GB RAM joke, i got scammed into buying one of those, the response time was so abysmal i had to buy a proper phone with 8GB RAM (oppo a9 2020, 6.8k baht),

my maid that are destitute and got a broken phone was going to use my old POS,

but she recognized within an hour that she would rather not have any phone at all over having one that only add aggregation

Edited by scammed

16 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

I just bought the Note 9   2 months ago Lazada Promotion 9-9 B3890

Probably will have an 11-11 promotion

I brought my son a cheap phone for games and it not work for long then I got a tablet , same again ,then another ,same again then I brought an iPad and it was good for 5 years and still working good , anything else isn’t worth thinking about, an iPad will cost you 10,000 but last you long and no problems , do it for your son

• Like 1

An iPad might seem a bit  expensive but I put teaching apps and games that make you think and it is so worth the price , my son is a whizz on his iPad ,he teaches me . You won’t regret it and you won’t ever go back to android 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Foghorn said:

An iPad might seem a bit  expensive but I put teaching apps and games that make you think and it is so worth the price , my son is a whizz on his iPad ,he teaches me . You won’t regret it and you won’t ever go back to android 

The applications which come with the iPad are excellent - my son (6) has learned so much. 

When managed well the use of an iPad / Tablet are excellent tools for children.

19 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Agreed..  I would look for a secondhand xiaomi. Good phones for the money.

20 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Not really different from having a "home computer" when I was that age. Instead of not letting me buy one, my parents told me that I couldn't use it for more than two hours a day. I still think that's the better approach - teach children how to use their gadgets responsibly and make sure they get enough exercise. Being smart phone and computer savvy is great, being a couch potato isn't!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Not really different from having a "home computer" when I was that age. Instead of not letting me buy one, my parents told me that I couldn't use it for more than two hours a day. I still think that's the better approach - teach children how to use their gadgets responsibly and make sure they get enough exercise. Being smart phone and computer savvy is great, being a couch potato isn't!

As with anything - intelligent balance is required.... 

A child spends too much time watching junk on a tablet and its no good, yet there are fun, informative and educational things a child can do on a tablet. 

A child reading too much and not exercising is also not a good thing. A child playing outdoors all the time and not reading or using computing / tablet tools is as not a great thing.

Everything is about balance and compromise and teaching this to the child such that they don’t show signs of addition and clinginess to items which if we are honest with ourselves many adults are addicted to !!!!  (spending too much time on computers and phones).

21 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

With built in Thermometer??? Up to date for checking Covid. 5555555 On a serious point, why don't you go to some IT mall, Tukcom or anything like that and get a 2nd hand. Some good quality for a good price....

17 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

With built in Thermometer??? Up to date for checking Covid. 5555555 On a serious point, why don't you go to some IT mall, Tukcom or anything like that and get a 2nd hand. Some good quality for a good price....

Why are you quoting me? I'm not looking for a phone. I wouldn't buy any phone from Tukcom stalls...bunch of cowboys..