COVID Insurance Question, returning to Thailand

Hi,

I live in Thailand and went to Taiwan for an install job. It's finishing up and I need to return to my Thai home.  I have a non-O Thai Wife VISA that expires on December 28.

My question is how many days of COVID insurance do I need to buy? Enough to cover me until December 28, or a full year because I renew my VISA every year?

Thanks,

Philster

43 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

To clarify if applying for a COE what insurance is required, the original $100000 insurance or just Covid Insurance, would Travel Insurance from a U.K. company which covers for Covid be accepted ?

There seems to be consistent confusion about this US$ 100.000 insurance requirement to (re)-enter Thailand.

1 - That 100.000 US $ insurance needs to cover medical treatment in Thailand, including COVID-19 treatment.  That is the actual wording on the websites of the Thai Embassies.

2 - The 100.000 US $ covid-19 only insurance offered by TGIA is misleading as it does NOT cover other medical treatment in Thailand.  So when subscribing to such a policy you would actually need an additional insurance policy that covers the costs of medical treatment in Thailand.  Conveniently this is NOT mentioned when subscribing to these ridiculously expensive TGIA covid-19 policies.

3 - Almost any travel-insurance policy would meet and often far exceed the 100.000 US $ accident/illness coverage of medical treatment in Thailand.  And travel-insurance is typically available at premiums far lower than a regular health-insurance policy.  On top of that the period of coverage is flexible when subscribing to travel-insurance, while regular health-insurance policies often only provide annual policies.

4 - Several travel-insurance providers INCLUDE covid-19 coverage as part of the affordable travel-insurance package they provide (that often far exceeds the 100.000 US $ minimum coverage).  E.g. SafetyWing does provide such policies and the premium will in majority of cases even be LOWER than the TGIA covid-19 ONLY policies (which by the way do NOT meet the full requirement > see #2).

21 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

1 - That 100.000 US $ insurance needs to cover medical treatment in Thailand, including COVID-19 treatment.  That is the actual wording on the websites of the Thai Embassies.

2 - The 100.000 US $ covid-19 only insurance offered by TGIA is misleading as it does NOT cover other medical treatment in Thailand.  So when subscribing to such a policy you would actually need an additional insurance policy that covers the costs of medical treatment in Thailand.  Conveniently this is NOT mentioned when subscribing to these ridiculously expensive TGIA covid-19 policies.

1. The embassy in the US website states this.

"2.5 Medical insurance or letter from employer guaranteeing that the insurance company or employer will cover a minimum of 100,000 USD (or equivalent in other currencies) of medical costs incurred by the applicant in Thailand, including medical costs in the event that applicant contracts COVID-19 (The insurance must cover the whole duration of stay in Thailand)."\

2. I can assure you that the insurance from the TGIA site will be accepted to apply for a COE. The site was created for that purpose.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. The embassy in the US website states this.

"2.5 Medical insurance or letter from employer guaranteeing that the insurance company or employer will cover a minimum of 100,000 USD (or equivalent in other currencies) of medical costs incurred by the applicant in Thailand, including medical costs in the event that applicant contracts COVID-19 (The insurance must cover the whole duration of stay in Thailand)."\

2. I can assure you that the insurance from the TGIA site will be accepted to apply for a COE. The site was created for that purpose.

Like other Thai Embassy websites (I checked four)  the US website, ALSO states that the 100K should INCLUDE covid-19 on top of the medical costs incurred in Thailand.

Why do they state this on the Thai Embassy websites, when a covid-19 ONLY insurance as provided by TIP is accepted?

> Anyway, that doesn't change the fact that travel-insurance is available which would cover both costs of medical treatment AND include covid-19 coverage at premiums often lower than the covid-19 only TIP insurance (but there is an age limit for such policies). 

• 1 month later...

@ubonjoe

I had a similar question for my mother that would like to come back to Thailand.

She has a retirement non-o visa (done in Bangkok), she has to do an extension before 28th february... so she would like to come back in Thailand around end of january.

image.png.601a7379fef2f93f2c631130875e2650.png

What's the requirement about the duration of her insurance ? (90 days ?)

Thank you ????

4 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

What's the requirement about the duration of her insurance ? (90 days ?)

The covid 19 insurance will only have to be valid to the day her re-entry permit expires on February 28th.

Dependent upon where she applies for the certificate of entry (COE) she may need the 40/400k baht insurance that is normally only required for a OA visa valid to 28 February.

I suggest she return as soon as possible so she will have enough time to apply for the extension after she finishes the 14 day quarantine.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The covid 19 insurance will only have to be valid to the day her re-entry permit expires on February 28th.

I suggest she return as soon as possible so she will have enough time to apply for the extension after she finishes the 14 day quarantine.

Thanks a lot @ubonjoe
I call my mum now, have a nice day ????

Archived