Phuket Immigration agrees to change visa types, issue extensions

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Phuket Immigration agrees to change visa types, issue extensions By The Phuket News   A foreigner waits as officers process his application at the Phuket Immigration Office in Phuk

'...thai citizenship for 1 million $...????? Will rich foreigners want to do that? 😀

Was just an idea ... it could be much less , or never happen at all ... anyway , the best way to attract rich foreigners would be to allow them to own some land here .

Since the lockdown has limited the availability of good teachers, schools are desperate to get a warm body with a European looking face in the classroom. It is likely there will be many people getting job teaching that do not even like being around students but will take the job to stay in the country.
It would be better if they just paid an agent to bribe the officials to get them a volunteer visa that does not require volunteering.(Of course getting a volunteer visa without volunteering requires a bribe, many threads on this topic)

It’s amazing the number of people living in Thailand for multiple years doing short term visas and frequent border runs. 

Maybe the visa system needs to be revised so that long-term stayers are on long-term 1 year visas, and people on short-term visas must leave the country for at least three months before returning to the country. I’m definitely in favor of a digital-nomad visa, provided proof of income stream from online work that doesn’t depend where you live. (i.e. travel blog about Thailand would not qualify)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, nobodysfriend said:

Was just an idea ... it could be much less , or never happen at all ... anyway , the best way to attract rich foreigners would be to allow them to own some land here .

Yes, i was only joking. However, I would hope that allowing expats to stay for more an one year before the next extension (say 2, 3 or more) but I don't think it will happen.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, brianp0803 said:

It is likely there will be many people getting job teaching that do not even like being around students but will take the job to stay in the country.
It would be better if they just paid an agent to bribe the officials to get them a volunteer visa that does not require volunteering.

No. A teaching job will offer enrollment in the Thai SS w/ the free healthcare. Later, the SS health insurance can be retained for modest monthly payment. So will end all the health insurance woes posted on TVF almost daily. Well worth "being around students" for a year or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, TKDfella said:

'...thai citizenship for 1 million $...????? Will rich foreigners want to do that? 😀

As long as its investment and still your own money.. you bet.. 

After 97 they offered instant PR for a 40 million investment. I know people who did it back then. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shackleton said:

Well thats a new one getting a Teaching visa without qualifications 

And the Government okaying it as well

Waiting for the next bright idea 

What would you rather have? A native English speaker with no teaching qualifications or someone teaching broken English as their second language with qualifications?

• Like 1