Phuket Immigration agrees to change visa types, issue extensions

webfact

Since the lockdown has limited the availability of good teachers, schools are desperate to get a warm body with a European looking face in the classroom. It is likely there will be many people getting job teaching that do not even like being around students but will take the job to stay in the country.
It would be better if they just paid an agent to bribe the officials to get them a volunteer visa that does not require volunteering.(Of course getting a volunteer visa without volunteering requires a bribe, many threads on this topic)

It’s amazing the number of people living in Thailand for multiple years doing short term visas and frequent border runs. 

Maybe the visa system needs to be revised so that long-term stayers are on long-term 1 year visas, and people on short-term visas must leave the country for at least three months before returning to the country. I’m definitely in favor of a digital-nomad visa, provided proof of income stream from online work that doesn’t depend where you live. (i.e. travel blog about Thailand would not qualify)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nobodysfriend said:

Was just an idea ... it could be much less , or never happen at all ... anyway , the best way to attract rich foreigners would be to allow them to own some land here .

Yes, i was only joking. However, I would hope that allowing expats to stay for more an one year before the next extension (say 2, 3 or more) but I don't think it will happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brianp0803 said:

It is likely there will be many people getting job teaching that do not even like being around students but will take the job to stay in the country.
It would be better if they just paid an agent to bribe the officials to get them a volunteer visa that does not require volunteering.

No. A teaching job will offer enrollment in the Thai SS w/ the free healthcare. Later, the SS health insurance can be retained for modest monthly payment. So will end all the health insurance woes posted on TVF almost daily. Well worth "being around students" for a year or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TKDfella said:

'...thai citizenship for 1 million $...????? Will rich foreigners want to do that? ????

As long as its investment and still your own money.. you bet.. 

After 97 they offered instant PR for a 40 million investment. I know people who did it back then. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

Well thats a new one getting a Teaching visa without qualifications 

And the Government okaying it as well

Waiting for the next bright idea 

What would you rather have? A native English speaker with no teaching qualifications or someone teaching broken English as their second language with qualifications?

• Like 1

It says for for teachers...

why does everybody assume that if you are a foreigner here you are teaching.

i need to get my non B for a BOI company that does IT work. It all gets sorted through the chamchuri square immigration office and they have separate rules.

@ubonjoe or anyone credible know what the score is for this? I’ve been told it’s impossible till to this day to process the non B inside Thailand from an tourist visa as you have to get it from outside Thailand but I am not willing to fly out and be stuck outside for god knows how long and then face all these quarentine charges just yet.

im simply staying here until hopefully the borders open or atleast I have some flying options between Thailand and other low risk countries without all the BS to come back in.

normal immigration offices like CW for example don’t deal with BOI companies it’s all separate and also no corruption or bribes can occur with these as they are far more strict with the requirement.. which again is fly out get the Non B and fly back in.

anyone know if there is currently again plans or talks about a travel bubble for those of us who literally have to get this non B outside Thailand ? As of now I’ve been told I can extend my tourist visa until atleast end of January so I should be ok until then... no rush

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brianp0803 said:

Since the lockdown has limited the availability of good teachers, schools are desperate to get a warm body with a European looking face in the classroom. It is likely there will be many people getting job teaching that do not even like being around students but will take the job to stay in the country.
It would be better if they just paid an agent to bribe the officials to get them a volunteer visa that does not require volunteering.(Of course getting a volunteer visa without volunteering requires a bribe, many threads on this topic)

It’s amazing the number of people living in Thailand for multiple years doing short term visas and frequent border runs. 

Maybe the visa system needs to be revised so that long-term stayers are on long-term 1 year visas, and people on short-term visas must leave the country for at least three months before returning to the country. I’m definitely in favor of a digital-nomad visa, provided proof of income stream from online work that doesn’t depend where you live. (i.e. travel blog about Thailand would not qualify)

Give me a break, people are using different types of visas to stay in Thailand simply because they don't meet the requirements for a long-term visa, if you are not married, over the age of 50 or having a child here, it is very difficult to stay long-term withy going thru all the hoops, if they could simply have a long-term visa option for a fee people wouldn't abuse the short-term visas, and Ed visa etc. Your age shouldn't matter, I mean as long as you are contributing to the economy you should be welcomed with open arms.

Change the Visa system now!! Make it fear for everyone.

• Confused 1

On 10/30/2020 at 3:06 PM, webfact said:

Phuket Immigration is urging all foreigners who have been refused an extension to stay or have their visa status changed to a Non-immigrant B (‘Non-imm B’), which will allow them to work in the country, to apply for their extensions by end of government office hours on Monday (Nov 2). No fines will be charged for filing the late applications.

That sort of presupposes that foreigners who have been refused an extensions of stay actually qualify for a Non-Immigrant B visa such as having an employer or your own business. Now, when I applied for a Non-Imm B I had to go out of the country. 
What's this?  A new deal?    The article is shy on details and the short blurb doesn't add up imho.

Ubonjoe.  What is this exactly? 

If you have enough money to stay here, then you should be allowed to stay, full stop.Times have changed, it's no longer about attracting the high end guys, it's about attracting, or retaining, anyone who can make a positive contribution to the Thai economy.

• Confused 1

It’s unbelievable to see what kind of people who run certain offices in Thailand. And how the chain of command is in a total lack of internal supervision.  

From road checks to issuing visas it seems like you one day live in another country with other rules and regulations. Corruption or dumbness it doesn’t matter.  Thais should go on with their demonstrations and send their whole system and leadership to rehab! 

Edited by GeilGeilertzen

3 minutes ago, GeilGeilertzen said:

It’s unbelievable to see what kind of people who run certain offices in Thailand. And how the chain of command is in a total lack of internal supervision.  

From road checks to issuing visas it seems like it’s two different countries.  Corruption or dumbness it doesn’t matter.  Thais should go on with their demonstrations and send their whole system and leadership to rehab! 

It works though. You replace it with what? That's the real question. We've all seen the Arab spring phenomenon, and how that turned out.

I do not know if this applies to others, but for me it is good news. I hold a Non-B Visa that has a hand written message across it "Unofficial", I can work as a Teacher, but I am unable to get a Work Permit. I have been here for 16 years and I do want to count hold much I have paid out in Visa costs. As I did not have a up to date Tourist Visa I had to apply for one and pay 1900 Baht and the the very next day I went back and paid 2000 Baht for the non official Non-B visa. Will I have to pay again for an Official Non-B. I will let you know.. . 

23 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

thai citizenship for 1 million $

In Canada we sell passports for a CDN $100,000 investment, that is invested in 2nd mortgages and returned after five (5) years.   In the US the price is USD $1 million.   Many countries offer these schemes and they make good sense for all involved.

• Like 1

Many unkind comments, not fair. The immigration department was trying to help people. It  gave a solution to a problem specific to  a number of foreigners, many who did not have money to pay new ticket,  wait in  foreign country quarantine, and to come back and do  quarantine again. 

20 hours ago, Sando said:

Ha ha, These incompetent, arrogant and rude officials at Phuket Immigration will change their minds next week as they’ll get too busy.

Please come back and give your report when it happens. You are not respectful on this now.

19 hours ago, Dart12 said:

And then you get there....and they still tell you NO.

Why you say this? Please come back and give your report when it happens. You are  not grateful that they  make solution to help  some foreigners who were in financial trouble.

11 hours ago, GeilGeilertzen said:

From road checks to issuing visas it seems like you one day live in another country with other rules and regulations. Corruption or dumbness it doesn’t matter.  Thais should go on with their demonstrations and send their whole system and leadership to rehab! 

If corruption wasn't part of the process, if immigration operated strictly within guidelines and rules and were properly trained and supervised, many expats who have made their life here would be back home bemoaning their fate.

Thailand is what it is, and warts and all, the best choice for many of us to live out our lives.  It's disingenuous to expect it to adopt the best parts of the country you fled from while also  retaining the unique culture that drew you here.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nausea said:

If you have enough money to stay here, then you should be allowed to stay, full stop.Times have changed, it's no longer about attracting the high end guys, it's about attracting, or retaining, anyone who can make a positive contribution to the Thai economy.

Agreed. And you should have to prove you have that money by placing 800k in a Thai bank for the duration of your stay.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, P100 said:

Treat Thais in our conties the same way they treat us in Thailad!

Well then I guess we should all go back to our home countries.  

The requirements to be granted a non-tourist visa (meaning a work or long stay) in Canada is very onerous and quite expensive.   In Canada, for example, you and your prospective employer must be able to show that you are not taking a job away from a Canadian.  As a Canadian employer I have assisted numerous foreigners with employment and visas in Canada and it has been a costly process limited to a small number of people.   Thailand lets anybody get a visa for little money, in other words exceptionally cheap.

On 10/31/2020 at 4:22 AM, TKDfella said:

'...thai citizenship for 1 million $...????? Will rich foreigners want to do that? ????

I would if it was $100,000 because the company would pay for it and it save me all that visa <deleted>

Edited by ScotBkk