8 minutes ago, Virtualrecluse said:

But I don't have roaming and you can't receive an SMS via WIFI, or...?

I have an AIS sim. I do not have roaming and get OTP codes when required to log onto my AIS account here in Australia.

When I turn my phone on it searches for and connects to a network and it works fine for OTP codes

3 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

I have an AIS sim. I do not have roaming and get OTP codes when required to log onto my AIS account here in Australia.

When I turn my phone on it searches for and connects to a network and it works fine for OTP codes

Then you have Roaming. No Roaming means no OTP codes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Which carrier are you with?

May be possible to turn on roaming via USSD e.g. for Dtac use this code *118*9# call, for AIS try *125 call or *125*1# call.

How will they do that if Roaming is not switched on?? They need to call the carrier, to ask if they can switch it on whilst they out of the country.

1 minute ago, Virtualrecluse said:

I am with AIS. I don't really want to incur roaming charges each time I want to do some kind of transaction, not only banking

Only insert the Thai SIM when required (unless you have a dual SIM phone in which case use the settings to ensure your home SIM is used by default),

5 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Only insert the Thai SIM when required (unless you have a dual SIM phone in which case use the settings to ensure your home SIM is used by default),

I do have a dual SIM phone. So, use a local SIM then insert the Thai SIM for the operation? How does this avert the roaming charges issue? Will I receive the OTP as an SMS via the AIS SIM?

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. I will try out the options suggested

21 minutes ago, Salerno said:

I do have a dual SIM phone. So, use a local SIM then insert the Thai SIM for the operation? How does this avert the roaming charges issue? Will I receive the OTP as an SMS via the AIS SIM?

1 hour ago, Virtualrecluse said:

I am with AIS. I don't really want to incur roaming charges each time I want to do some kind of transaction, not only banking

Roaming doesn't incur charges unless you pick up the phone when someone calls you. You are perhaps confusing it with Data Roaming, which can be disabled; leaving you able to receive SMS at no cost to yourself.

When you contact them to enable Roaming, ask them to disable Data at the same time. That way there can be no accidental usage.

49 minutes ago, Virtualrecluse said:

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. I will try out the options suggested

I'll just recap, as some of the 'advice' here is incorrect and contradictory.

There is GSM Roaming, usually covering SMS and voice calls and Data Roaming(Internet)

You only need GSM Roaming. So what you need to do is enable Roaming by contacting the call centre. Then disable Data Roaming by asking the call centre to do it or do it yourself by tapping in 1291# and then the Dial key, once International Roaming has been enabled via the call centre..