Tenant liabilities

2 hours ago, w94005m said:

Thank you for the link.

As I noted, I have been a landlord in the UK and USA for about 15 years, using standard rental contracts from the management companies who I work with. There I have been responsible for all internal fixtures and fittings, as well as of course anything to do with utility supply. So in the last few years, I have had to replace oven and microwaves which stopped working. Same as repainting and redecorating are 100% on me unless there has been vandalism. Your comment suggests otherwise for internal maintenance.

So are you saying that if the inside ac unit stops working in the condo here (not the compressor), that is down to me to replace?

What matters in Thailand is the law here, or the rental agreement one have with a landlord.

I mentioned that the conditions here appeared similar to what I'm used to from my Danish home country, but in real it doesn't matter what I'm used from home – or what anyone else are used to from their home countries – because it's what the Thai law says that matters, or a rental agreement, and only that.

The aircon is a difficult question to answer. I would presume it's an external unit. The aircon bungalow I rented – I had two, one with air, and one fan only, from two different owners – the landlord took care of the aircon maintenance, including coolant liquid and cleaning; the latter also included the two indoor units. If you have a written rental contract, it might be mentioned therein, what is the renter's responsibility, and if not then it's what the law says; i.e. "the hirer is bound to take as much care of the property hired as a person of ordinary prudence would take of his own property, and to do ordinary maintenance and petty repairs."

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2020 at 12:51 AM, khunPer said:

What matters in Thailand is the law here, or the rental agreement one have with a landlord.

I mentioned that the conditions here appeared similar to what I'm used to from my Danish home country, but in real it doesn't matter what I'm used from home – or what anyone else are used to from their home countries – because it's what the Thai law says that matters, or a rental agreement, and only that.

The aircon is a difficult question to answer. I would presume it's an external unit. The aircon bungalow I rented – I had two, one with air, and one fan only, from two different owners – the landlord took care of the aircon maintenance, including coolant liquid and cleaning; the latter also included the two indoor units. If you have a written rental contract, it might be mentioned therein, what is the renter's responsibility, and if not then it's what the law says; i.e. "the hirer is bound to take as much care of the property hired as a person of ordinary prudence would take of his own property, and to do ordinary maintenance and petty repairs."

If I had a detailed rental contract/lease, I would not have asked the question originally. I simply wanted to know what the norm was here.

I am shocked that I could be responsible for repair of an old air conditioner through my normal usage and I am staggered that you might think that normal in the West. I know for sure, that would get laughed out of court in UK or USA.

That is outrageous.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, w94005m said:

If I had a detailed rental contract/lease, I would not have asked the question originally. I simply wanted to know what the norm was here.

I am shocked that I could be responsible for repair of an old air conditioner through my normal usage and I am staggered that you might think that normal in the West. I know for sure, that would get laughed out of court in UK or USA.

That is outrageous.

I however don't "think", I'm referring specific only to my Danish home country, which seems to have pretty similar rules as Thailand. I got no experience or knowledge about UK and USA, I only have knowledge and experience from Denmark and Thailand.

If nothing is specifically specified in a contract, it would follow the common law.

And about the aircon, I didn't say that you in my view could be responsible, I said the opposite...

The aircon is a difficult question to answer. I would presume it's an external unit. The aircon bungalow I rented – I had two, one with air, and one fan only, from two different owners – the landlord took care of the aircon maintenance, including coolant liquid and cleaning; the latter also included the two indoor units.

Just tried to help you, by answering your question...????

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, w94005m said:

That is outrageous.

Why would you enter into an agreement without an agreement? 

Are you renting from a friend? If so, don't. 

On 11/5/2020 at 8:14 PM, Yellowtail said:

Why would you enter into an agreement without an agreement? 

Are you renting from a friend? If so, don't. 

I'd only rented for 2 months originally, then extended for a month and the guy had been great. After that, said I would do another 6 months, when the realities of covid set in and all the travel limitations. Cheaper and safer just to stay put + fully trusted him.

You live and learn and certainly would never have done if I'd been signing for a year.

Now you have made clearly as in why it happened the way it did. A temporary rental, like BnB or whatsoever....  It is apparent that you had not been transparent or made clear enough to state that you entered this type of temporarily rental arrangement when you asked the question, especially you declared yourself upfront as a seasoned landlord.

I was wondering, until now, how an experience landlord would not have asked for such basic terms in a lease where he stayed. Perhaps there is no proper lease to start with.

Most of the readers here would have thought that you had entered into an usual one year or a rather longer term lease agreement which should usually spell out the usual terms, especially for condo rental as you indicated somewhere. Every experienced landlord or tenant would have known that it is the terms in the lease agreement that dictates the rights and obligations for both parties. 

Readers here seem to be helpful, but apparently they bark up the wrong tree.

I understand bad water hoses, lack of stop valves in a restroom. But when I rented a 2000 baht a month two bedroom home in Buriram, I paid for renters insurance. I also had a poorly made water supply hose fail that had no stop valve to a bathroom sink. It caused a bit of a flood until I turned off the main water supply. The OP should have bought renters insurance. it is so inexpensive but would help him in weird situations. The owner of the property, normally, in Thailand would be responsible for damage to a floor below. Renters insurance gives you a representative when greedy landlords or neighbors try to exploit you. As a renter, I paid for all a/c unit cleanings. Not a huge sum, to lower my PEA bill. I fixed any water leaks to stop my water pump from being tricked.  

Edited by kamalabob2