Thai Visa requirements for renewing Thai Driving License?

I went to renew my Thai Driving License at the Buriram office today.

There are new requirements in place they told me.

My non-im O visa had a 60 day extension a month ago.

They told me that was no good and I needed to come back when I had my next 60 day extension.

They also said that even though my address was the same, I needed to also get a proof of address from the Immigration Office.

So from tomorrow my license will have expired, and they said I would either have to not drive, or accept any police fine.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

They're idiots and make it up as they go along.

Always go a few days after your birthday when the license has expired, you will get almost an extra year when you renew.

I've been there a few times and they were lying about the 'national network' being offline in order to make their life easier based on the time of day I was there. I know it was a lie as I caught them saying the same thing more than once, on different days, even to Thais - it's the standard excuse they use at the office I went to to get rid of you for the day.

This was not at Burriram. You can go to any DLT office to do the renewal. Where I live there are 2 of them within a 30-40 minute drive.

Did you go to the office in the afternoon or morning? My current theory is that if you turn up after about 2pm they just want to get rid of you and will lie to you so you leave.

Certificate of residence is required, medical certificate is required sometimes but it depends on which license you're renewing and how many times you've done it already, the rules are unclear and not applied nationally in any way. I didn't need the doctors certificate but got one anyway...just in case I suddenly needed it.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Always go a few days after your birthday when the license has expired, you will get almost an extra year when you renew.

I've been there a few times and they were lying about the 'national network' being offline in order to make their life easier based on the time of day I was there. I know it was a lie as I caught them saying the same thing more than once, on different days, even to Thais - it's the standard excuse they use at the office I went to to get rid of you for the day.

This was not at Burriram. You can go to any DLT office to do the renewal. Where I live there are 2 of them within a 30-40 minute drive.

Did you go to the office in the afternoon or morning? My current theory is that if you turn up after about 2pm they just want to get rid of you and will lie to you so you leave.

Certificate of residence is required, medical certificate is required sometimes but it depends on which license you're renewing and how many times you've done it already, the rules are unclear and not applied nationally in any way. I didn't need the doctors certificate but got one anyway...just in case I suddenly needed it.

Some offices give out queue numbers, which finish around one hour after opening. I got my license done on the last day before the DLT would be closed for like 2 months as a result of the lockdowns. I wanted to go early anyway, but was very lucky in that I received the very last queue number for that day, despite arriving around 8.45am, just 15 mins after opening!

Of course, this could have been due to everyone rushing to get their licenses renewed prior to the lockdown and isn't necessarily a reflection of the normal situation (it was also the first time I had used that office to get my license done). 

I’m confused... 

Your Non-Imm O Visa had a 60 day extension 1 month ago - So you are not on Visa Amnesty or anything else.

Whats the difference between a 60 day extension and 12 month extension ????  (other than time). 

Affirmation of Address is a requirement, as is a Medical Certificate (if renewing from 2yr to 5yr).

I reckon you should go back and try again. If they say no, ask for someone senior and obtain a full explanation (this obviously depends on the quality of your Thai respectability of your ’translator’).

They may use a longevity of visa excuse, but thats rubbish, someone can get a 2 year licence on a Visa Exemption Stamp.

What are the current requirements for renewing a 5-year to another 5-year?

Forgot what I did last time. I believe my name was added to the house registration book.  Can a copy of that be used, or do I have to go to immigration and get something from them?

1 hour ago, wormdrive said:

Forgot what I did last time. I believe my name was added to the house registration book.  Can a copy of that be used, or do I have to go to immigration and get something from them?

What office as it seems to vary?

Some offices accept yellow book and some don't (Pattaya for example) and will insist on Certificate of Residence from Immigration.

For 5 year to 5 year usually requires minimum 1 year visa/extension but you should not need a medical certificate.

Best advice is go to your local DLT and find out what is required as you may also need to make an appointment.

13 minutes ago, topt said:
1 hour ago, wormdrive said:

What office as it seems to vary?

Some offices accept yellow book and some don't (Pattaya for example) and will insist on Certificate of Residence from Immigration.

For 5 year to 5 year usually requires minimum 1 year visa/extension but you should not need a medical certificate.

Best advice is go to your local DLT and find out what is required as you may also need to make an appointment.

DLT area 3 in Bangkok (nr Sukhumvit 99) - the Yellow Tabien-baan and Pink ID card were accepted as proof of address (they seemed more interested in the Pink ID card). 

I renewed to a 5 Year DL with a Thai Elite Visa (I may have been lucky as I understand that a non-Immigrant visa is required to obtain a 5 year DL).

Ultimately, as mentioned in the quoted post above, mileage varies so much from office to office, province to province and officer to officer that the best you can hope for is to take everything you think you will need, rock up at the DLT and find out. 

I went through the same thing in Buriram about a month ago. Renewing from a 2 year to a 5 year. My one year marriage visa extension was under way already with an under consideration stamp in my passport. They wouldn't accept it. I was told I must come back when I have a one year non o visa stamped in my passport. People here on TV advised me that it is actually correct for a 5 years licence, but you can just take another 2 years 'temporary ' licence with any visa as long as your driving licence from your home country is still valid. I waited for the one year stamp in my passport to get the 5 years licence. You will most definitely need a proof of address from immigration(if you haven't got a yellow book or id card)and a doctor's letter. Buriram immigration charged me 2 years ago 700baht for proof of address (tea money to pocket-500 if you require one licence, 700 if you need two letters-one for bike and one for car). Doctor's letter is around 50 baht can be obtained from any private clinics throughout town.

On 10/30/2020 at 4:47 PM, ukrules said:

Well said!  no rulz followed and brings disgrace and shame on the Thai goverment!

How I understand it you do need a one year visa for the 5yr license even if the visa only has a month left, and you will need a letter of residence from immigration, if it is your first 5yr then a med cert . what license do you have now 2yr or 5yr ?? Driving without a license would mean you are not covered by any health insurance and probably not by 3rd party. as others have said try a different office. I went to a smaller one this year coz they accepted my yellow book/pink id. Got a Thai to ring them first. good luck.

Thank you for your feedback.  I went to the Office in the morning around 9:30am after going to get my medical certificate.

5 minutes ago, BuriramBill said:

Thank you for your feedback.  I went to the Office in the morning around 9:30am after going to get my medical certificate.

Did you get your new license without problems or are you talking about the first time you went?

On 10/31/2020 at 6:04 PM, Bigz said:

I went through the same thing in Buriram about a month ago. Renewing from a 2 year to a 5 year. My one year marriage visa extension was under way already with an under consideration stamp in my passport. They wouldn't accept it. I was told I must come back when I have a one year non o visa stamped in my passport. People here on TV advised me that it is actually correct for a 5 years licence, but you can just take another 2 years 'temporary ' licence with any visa as long as your driving licence from your home country is still valid. I waited for the one year stamp in my passport to get the 5 years licence. You will most definitely need a proof of address from immigration(if you haven't got a yellow book or id card)and a doctor's letter. Buriram immigration charged me 2 years ago 700baht for proof of address (tea money to pocket-500 if you require one licence, 700 if you need two letters-one for bike and one for car). Doctor's letter is around 50 baht can be obtained from any private clinics throughout town.

Many thanks for taking the time to post.  I guess I'll have to see what happens the next time I go after getting my next 60 day extension.  One thing that confuses me is that my one year marriage visa does not expire until late December, so in my mind I already have a valid visa...

On 11/1/2020 at 8:08 AM, brianthainess said:

How I understand it you do need a one year visa for the 5yr license even if the visa only has a month left, and you will need a letter of residence from immigration, if it is your first 5yr then a med cert . what license do you have now 2yr or 5yr ?? Driving without a license would mean you are not covered by any health insurance and probably not by 3rd party. as others have said try a different office. I went to a smaller one this year coz they accepted my yellow book/pink id. Got a Thai to ring them first. good luck.

I have a 5 year license (the third one in 15 years).  I have a 1 year visa too - expires late December.  Never had any problem before this year.  Not wanting to invalidate any insurances I'll get my wife to drive me around until I get my new 5 year license.

17 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Did you get your new license without problems or are you talking about the first time you went?

I'm talking about the first time I want, sorry for any confusion.  I am going to leave it until I go to immigration next to either get a 60 day or 1 year extension and then go back to get the 5 year driving license

On 11/1/2020 at 8:38 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

5E5EE202-9EA2-4365-9559-D5E03294FFB5.thumb.jpeg.aeebc9f857437d05d0a306bdfd6f285e.jpeg

Glad to see someone on the ball, people should always read the appropriate DLT website before making comment.

I know people that have used yellow book at Chonburi but I was refused. I had already checked the website and as it was not mentioned had little option other than trot off to immigration.

My wife phoned up to see if an appointment was required, it was, and as a foreigner it would have to be done in person. Waiting time for me was about a week but my Thai niece who did it online about the same time in August was given December. She phoned up and was told if stopped by the police just to show the appointment on the app as that extended the licence validity.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Sorry for the repeat. It would appear we no longer need a medical certificate?

You have never had a requirement for a medical certificate for a 5 year to 5 year licence, 2 year licence and swap from 2 to 5 year requirement is for a medical certificate.

some offices don’t follow DLT guidelines 

20 hours ago, BuriramBill said:

Not wanting to invalidate any insurances I'll get my wife to drive me around

I've never read the fine print of my car insurance policy -- but would having an expired license invalidate such a policy? Sounds sensical, but I wonder if such is the case......

If not, maybe I won't worry about dusting off my arthritic bones and renewing my license.... And as far as police fines -- most these days are speeding photos of your license plate. And my car is registered to my wife, who has a "no expire" driving license. Hmmmm, something to ponder...

Always go a few days after your birthday when the license has expired, you will get almost an extra year when you renew.................................

Not any more in Pattaya. They've finally sussed it.

Caution if renewing an expired license at Banglamung (Pattaya) LTO - Many license holders have gamed the system by allowing their license to expire   before applying for a renewal. Since it expires on their birth date and the renewal will expire 5 years from their next birth date, this makes it almost a 6 year license. Consequently, Banglamung LTO is currently requiring both written & driving test be done before renewing the expired license if done right after the expiration date.

https://pcec.club/Thai-Driving-License

2 hours ago, phetchy said:

Not any more in Pattaya. They've finally sussed it.

Caution if renewing an expired license at Banglamung (Pattaya) LTO - Many license holders have gamed the system by allowing their license to expire   before applying for a renewal. Since it expires on their birth date and the renewal will expire 5 years from their next birth date, this makes it almost a 6 year license. Consequently, Banglamung LTO is currently requiring both written & driving test be done before renewing the expired license if done right after the expiration date.

https://pcec.club/Thai-Driving-License

Since one needs an appointment now one would  be unlikely to attend just after expiry. I have not read of people having to do the above tests on renewal. 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

All this concern and effort by people to ensure they get 6 years instead of 5 years on their driving licence.

It's the difference between visiting the DLT for half a day 6 times or 5 times in a 30 year period !!!!!! 

Quite daft really.... 

Yes I was going to say something along the same lines... similar to all the visa problems because they try to get a few free months out of the amnesty whatever...

however,

if you happen to be out of TH and need come back to renew then one extra year could be good.... everyones in a different scenario ...

• 4 weeks later...

OK - the saga continues.

I got my 60 day visa extension yesterday and returned to the Buriram DLT around 12:30pm

Went to the same office as before and it was deserted.

Told to go downstairs to a tent outside.

Got there and there were about fifty people waiting.

Was told to use the QR code and make an appointment (a month ago no one in the office mentioned this).

Was told to expect a 2 month wait!

Used the QR code and got the DLT App downloaded on my phone.

Went home.

Set up App to use English language.

There were 2 buttons - one for Thai Citizen ID and one for Passport ID.

The Passport ID button was not active (did nothing)

The Thai Citizen ID button did work...

So I got my wife to sign up with her ID and then filled in all my details.

Hit the submit button and... it just sat there, with a flashing icon showing that data was being transferred.

Hopefully I will get an email, or Line message...

Has anyone else had experience of this?

Stand by for the next segment of the saga...

I went back to the Buriram DLT office today at 8am

The first 25 people to show up to renew their license get an appointment - no booking necessary

Paperwork:

• Copy passport signed
  • Copy visa stamp signed (60 day extension)
  • Current Medical certificate 
  • Address certification from IO  (500B - need photo)

9am went up to the DLT Game

• Traffic light colors test
  • Breaking test
  • Perspective test
  • (No peripheral vision test)

Then watched a road safety video for 1 hour

Paid for 5 year car license 505B

Went to photo desk to hand in details

Waited for queue number to have photo taken

Got photo taken

Waited for license to be printed

Total time - around 3 hours

On 11/2/2020 at 2:11 PM, BuriramBill said:

I have a 5 year license (the third one in 15 years).  I have a 1 year visa too - expires late December.  Never had any problem before this year.  Not wanting to invalidate any insurances I'll get my wife to drive me around until I get my new 5 year license.

My 5-year licence expired at the end of August and the earliest I could get an appointment to renew it was 24 December (Bang Chak).  They assured me that it was perfectly Ok to continue driving on the expired licence, as I had an appointment to renew it.

Archived