4,977 Thai Airways Staff to Voluntarily Resign

snoop1130

thaisss.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 30 (TNA) – 4,977 staff at Thai Airways International (THAI) applied for different stages of its Mutual Separation Plan (MSP) for the survival of the airline.

Acting THAI president Chansin Treenuchagron said the airline offered the MSP to its staff because it had been loss-ridden and the impacts of the coronavirus disease 2019 caused it to undergo rehabilitation. Cargo and repatriation flights, food services from its catering department and the sales of THAI souvenirs could not make up for lost revenue from the stalled passenger service.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-574082

tnalogo.jpg

-- © Copyright TNA 2020-10-30

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DrDave said:

What a deal! That 100K baht doesn't include any taxes, airport fees and so on, which can amount to as much as 50% of a ticket's cost. Oh, and an extra 7K baht for VAT.

IMO it would be  ridiculous  to suggest Thai Airways  was  not badly  managed  but  now in an attempt  to salvage some hope to survive it has provided some avenues for people to extract a path for departure with  at least some dignity attached.

Many times " National  Carriers"  around the world  have suffered times of commercial insolvency for  various reasons. Many survived and  became viable pre-pandemic through  recognition of need for  restructuring and infusions of substantial funds both  public and private.

It might be vogue  for those with a  vindictive  mentality  to happily  dismiss Thai Air to the rubbish bin while pretending to sympathize with the more direct masses involved  with the cessation of mass  tourism but the  many people involved  as employees of Thai Air  number among the same !

Perhaps "Collectors" of  emblems for National air carriers  need seek items of memorabilia other than Thai Air including of their own ? Even if only  to dance on it and then  burn it ! Like a  MAGA  cap !????

Sorry  Greta! I jest. But what better to do with a cheap Chinese  made item littering the USA  ?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I wonder what type of additional severance goodies they will be given for voluntarily resigning their positions?  Yes I read that some had applied for early retirement while the majority are getting a 20% package for 6 months and, then they will retire from service and get their retirement.  How the hell is this even allowed.  What a farce.   How can the Bankruptcy court allow this as it will just add more debt to the restructuring they are under. 

Of course the Thai Airways president has said this:

The applicants contributed to the survival of the airline.  

What survival have they contributed.  More FACE Saving at the trough.

You are clearly not from Europe I guess. You work let's say 30- 35 years for a company and than you would kick them out without anything? Remember, even THAI has to follow the laws, the people who work there are semi government officials. They are not offering much compared to many other countries. Those who stay will have to sign a different contract by mid next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Looks like Bangkok Airways has found a new way to stay afloat instead of going bankrupt like Thai Airways.  If you have a spare 100,000 baht lying around you can get an Elite flight card and travel free domestically the entire year.  Maybe the Thai Airways needs to do something similar.....

https://www.bangkokair.com/eng/elitecard

The way they (and other private owned airlines) survive in Thailand is probably by putting money in brown envelopes and deliver them to the right people in charge. THai is not allowed to do that so the same people in charge are a little angry with THAI.  The decisions they made to allow other airlines to fly new routes makes this very clear.

About the Bangkok Airways deal, once I used my accumulated points to book/purchase a flight. The taxes and the fees came to about 80% of what the flight would have cost if I just booked it without the points. I was surprised, but still disappointed. I've used points with other airlines and was only charged tax. I still think Bangkok Airlines is the best regional airline and will continue to use them over Thai, Smile, Nok, Air Asia et al. For me, the only reason for having a Bangkok Air points account is that they give a 15kg baggage allowance for members. At the end of the day, I guess a 20% savings is a bonus.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

You are clearly not from Europe I guess. You work let's say 30- 35 years for a company and than you would kick them out without anything? Remember, even THAI has to follow the laws, the people who work there are semi government officials. They are not offering much compared to many other countries. Those who stay will have to sign a different contract by mid next year.

No I am from the US, and no I am not on Social Security.  If a company goes under then the pension system goes to the Federal Pension Guaranty program and, you will be lucky to get 20% of what you were suppose to get.  My father ran into this and luckily he was able to also apply for SS, which just barely gives him $1400 USD a month to live on.  Luckily he owns his house. 

So for Thai Airways to give a full pension from a company that is going under as they are or, has gone under, is considered a Golden Handshake.  Not sure how the Pension can still be solvent under Thai Airways if the company is gone.  It is one of the factors that has led them into insolvency court.  Pensions are a huge liability for any company threat has a defined benefit pension guaranteed for life of the employee and his/her spouse after they have retired.  It is a good retirement, but if the company has disappeared then just how can the benefits continue at the rate they were promised.

2 minutes ago, bronzedude said:

About the Bangkok Airways deal, once I used my accumulated points to book/purchase a flight. The taxes and the fees came to about 80% of what the flight would have cost if I just booked it without the points. I was surprised, but still disappointed. I've used points with other airlines and was only charged tax. I still think Bangkok Airlines is the best regional airline and will continue to use them over Thai, Smile, Nok, Air Asia et al. For me, the only reason for having a Bangkok Air points account is that they give a 15kg baggage allowance for members. At the end of the day, I guess a 20% savings is a bonus.

It is also why I fly them in country and Not Thai Smile.  Air Asia charges for every thing they can as they are an A La Carte style airline.  Thai Airways treated me like garbage when I flew them.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

No I am from the US, and no I am not on Social Security.  If a company goes under then the pension system goes to the Federal Pension Guaranty program and, you will be lucky to get 20% of what you were suppose to get.  My father ran into this and luckily he was able to also apply for SS, which just barely gives him $1400 USD a month to live on.  Luckily he owns his house. 

So for Thai Airways to give a full pension from a company that is going under as they are or, has gone under, is considered a Golden Handshake.  Not sure how the Pension can still be solvent under Thai Airways if the company is gone.  It is one of the factors that has led them into insolvency court.  Pensions are a huge liability for any company threat has a defined benefit pension guaranteed for life of the employee and his/her spouse after they have retired.  It is a good retirement, but if the company has disappeared then just how can the benefits continue at the rate they were promised.

Laws in different countries vary. In the UK, pension funds are meant to be kept separate to the companies assets, so if a company goes bankrupt the pensions are relatively well protected. Those who are already retired get first call on the money. If the funds are insufficient to pay those who retire later, they will get reduced pensions plus a top up from a pension fund tax.

The USA does have poorer protection of company pensions, i remember some lost nearly their entire pensions during the last 2 recessions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

THAI staff do have the option of saving x % of their salary into an extra pension fund. After 20-30-40 years that amount is much more than the actual pension.

Edited by SomchaiCNX

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Shut the damn thing down, stop the bleeding ....  it's got no cash.  

The sooner it's cut up the better ....  it's finished .... 

RIP Thai airways.

Well Steven it has a huge potential but not with your friend in charge. Most of his friends are the main cause of the total collapse.  And I would not be surprised if one of his (new) Chinese friends will make an offer to take it over

Edited by SomchaiCNX
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Looks like Bangkok Airways has found a new way to stay afloat instead of going bankrupt like Thai Airways.  If you have a spare 100,000 baht lying around you can get an Elite flight card and travel free domestically the entire year.  Maybe the Thai Airways needs to do something similar.....

https://www.bangkokair.com/eng/elitecard

I fly round trip about 24 times per year domestically on Thai Smile and it costs about 80 to 100k THB.

No way on Earth I am giving an airline money up front in this climate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grumpy one said:

You sir need to chill out before you expire 

Do you think no one else has suffered from loosing their jobs

I am now supporting 6 members of my wife's family so go bang your drum elsewhere

Sorry for your awful and tragic situation. But that doesn’t make your ‘rats leaving a sinking ship’ any less poisonous or bitter. 

In fact having an understanding of the potential financial burden a loss of employment creates someone of empathetic character may choose a more intelligent response.

Edited by richard_smith237

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

thaisss.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 30 (TNA) – 4,977 staff at Thai Airways International (THAI) applied for different stages of its Mutual Separation Plan (MSP) for the survival of the airline.

Acting THAI president Chansin Treenuchagron said the airline offered the MSP to its staff because it had been loss-ridden and the impacts of the coronavirus disease 2019 caused it to undergo rehabilitation. Cargo and repatriation flights, food services from its catering department and the sales of THAI souvenirs could not make up for lost revenue from the stalled passenger service.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-574082

tnalogo.jpg

-- © Copyright TNA 2020-10-30

I wonder if these employees totally voluntarily said 'I want to resign.

Seems very doubtful they would do that, especially in such a large number, without some prompting to resign.

In many counties this would be high unethical and highly illegal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1