4,977 Thai Airways Staff to Voluntarily Resign

snoop1130

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

I wonder if these employees totally voluntarily said 'I want to resign.

Seems very doubtful they would do that, especially in such a large number, without some prompting to resign.

In many counties this would be high unethical and highly illegal. 

What you don't realise is Thailand is the centre of the universe and what applies "In many counties" or for that matter countries, isn't worth a tinkers damm here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I don't think it is cash strapped because of the lowly employees. My daughter worked for them and the talk that went around I cannot say on this forum or in public.

Thy are paid less than the other airlines and the so called special employe tickets are more expensive than the full paid tickets from Thai Viet for example

3 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Well Steven it has a huge potential but not with your friend in charge. Most of his friends are the main cause of the total collapse.  And I would not be surprised if one of his (new) Chinese friends will make an offer to take it over

Khun Prayut was never in charge of Thai airways.  Even toward the end he always distance himself from their management and operations. 

“In other words: more of an emphasis on the market and market demands, and less of an emphasis on politics and political considerations. And in the long run, the idea is this would result in greater profitability for Thai Airways, where the government does not have to come to its rescue.”

37 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Khun Prayut was never in charge of Thai airways.  Even toward the end he always distance himself from their management and operations. 

“In other words: more of an emphasis on the market and market demands, and less of an emphasis on politics and political considerations. And in the long run, the idea is this would result in greater profitability for Thai Airways, where the government does not have to come to its rescue.”

However, prior to the current state of affairs Prayut and his Government were in the lions seat as it was part of the actual State Enterprises run by the Government.  Without the selling of the Majority interest they had in Thai Airways, and as a Thai Government aligned carrier it was unprofitable and as a State run organization it could not file Bankruptcy.  So the Flagship of Thailand was sold off by the Government so that bankruptcy could be undertaken, and Prayut and his group cut there losses, which unfortunate as it may was also part of there doing when they decided to try and salvage the sinking airline many years ago..  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

The way they (and other private owned airlines) survive in Thailand is probably by putting money in brown envelopes and deliver them to the right people in charge. THai is not allowed to do that so the same people in charge are a little angry with THAI.  The decisions they made to allow other airlines to fly new routes makes this very clear.

You think just because an entity is "not allowed" to pass envelopes around, it doesn't? 

????????????????????????

Welcome to SE Asia. 

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sorry for your awful and tragic situation. But that doesn’t make your ‘rats leaving a sinking ship’ any less poisonous or bitter. 

In fact having an understanding of the potential financial burden a loss of employment creates someone of empathetic character may choose a more intelligent response.

Why not help out a few by allowing them to stay at your residence, or donate some cash to them 

No 

Guess you don't care that much then 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

How naive, a government owned company and you claim that politicians and those in charge have nothing to do with ???? National state owned carriers world wide have the same problem. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, djayz said:

You think just because an entity is "not allowed" to pass envelopes around, it doesn't? 

????????????????????????

Welcome to SE Asia. 

Just to get a brown envelope in a state owned company takes about 10 A 4 papers and 20 signatures + a couple months before they are delivered ???? . Yes they receive these envelopes but they are not allowed and have no budget to give them, that's my point. 

It is easy for an employer to make severance 'attractive' with the right motivation. Redundancy is preferable to turning up some day and finding the doors locked and no money left - that has happened.

Even a more ethical employer have tricks up there sleeve - I experienced this with IBM - they were trying to reduce the cost of the outsourcing contract i was employed upon, and every year they used to make a small number of my compatriots redundant - and surprise, surprise the incentive was a poor performance mark - meaning no pay rise that year and the threat of disciplinary action next time round. After 3 years it was my turn - because i had missed 2 broken items on a 5000 item audit. But i had reserved redundancy rights and it cost them 2 years salary to get rid of me. I could have refused the cut price redundancy but i only had 5 years left so i took it and retired - and came to Thailand! They were a lousy employer as well - and no one ever completed the audit i was doing, as no external company would do it for the money offered.

On 10/30/2020 at 6:44 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Looks like Bangkok Airways has found a new way to stay afloat instead of going bankrupt like Thai Airways.  If you have a spare 100,000 baht lying around you can get an Elite flight card and travel free domestically the entire year.  Maybe the Thai Airways needs to do something similar.....

https://www.bangkokair.com/eng/elitecard

Oh yeah, outstanding. 100k for the year but you have to pay all airport fees, taxes, surcharges and then VAT on each flight. If you do 30-35 domestic return flights a year it may be a good deal. 

If Thai launched a program as limited, expensive and ineffective as this you would be criticizing it, I guarantee. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

Why not help out a few by allowing them to stay at your residence, or donate some cash to them 

No 

Guess you don't care that much then 

I’ll still stick with not calling 4,977 people who are losing their job, rats !!!

Feel free to continue asking retarded questions and then answering them yourself in an attempt to claw back a moral win...  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’ll still stick with not calling 4,977 people who are losing their job, rats !!!

Feel free to continue asking retarded questions and then answering them yourself in an attempt to claw back a moral win...  

Do what you want, not many care

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

I don’t believe the use of the word “voluntarily”....

nothing more severance packages and if you don’t take it, you get laid off w/o anything...

Sorry, you are incorrect.  It is voluntary.  And you cannot be laid off "w/o anything".  Please don't make up nonsense and state it as fact.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

You sir need to chill out before you expire 

Do you think no one else has suffered from loosing their jobs

I am now supporting 6 members of my wife's family so go bang your drum elsewhere

I know a guy who is supporting 8 members of the extended family

• Like 1

18 hours ago, scorecard said:

Seems very doubtful they would do that, especially in such a large number, without some prompting to resign.

Yes, they did.  It is voluntary.  Normally people are enticed into it by enhanced benefits / severance packages, or by being able to resign before retirement age and still receive their full company pension.   The people who have signed up for this have several options to chose from.  So yes, it is a choice.  Thailand has very robust labour laws and a labour court that will 99% of the time rule in favour of the employee (and before anyone says otherwise - yes, foreign employees are treated in exactly the same manner and receive the same justice) so TG cannot "force" anyone to resign or arbitrarily dismiss them for refusing.

And voluntary redundancy is extremely common around the world - I have no idea why you think it would be illegal elsewhere: it isn't.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Never liked their snobby hostesses. They have always treated my wife and Thai friends badly due to the hierarchal social system here. I loved winding them up by shouting "nong" at them and speaking Thai to them.  

I flew TG several times every week regionally, often day trips for business. I was not OK with their poor service  but our company global office Europe had a policy that we must us the national airline of each office.

Many times I heard Thai folks who were annoyed by the arrogance and lack of service call out 'waitress, waitress'. And repeat it if there was no reaction. 

One of my Thai staff flying in business class on a project shared a story of an older Thai female passenger addressing the hostess as 'flying waitress' which apparently brought some mild abuse from the hostess. The passenger responding with 'well that's what you are'. 

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

So he's suddenly an expert on marketing in an industry which is a very complex market place where it's very difficult to get large numbers of return customers and difficult to build/maintain highly attractive competitive advantages?

On 10/31/2020 at 2:58 AM, ThailandRyan said:

My father ran into this and luckily he was able to also apply for SS, which just barely gives him $1400 USD a month to live on.  Luckily he owns his house.

Barely gives him $1400 - Lucky him - If he was in the UK it would be lucky to get  $400 on the social 

• Like 2

On 10/31/2020 at 9:49 AM, SomchaiCNX said:

Out of stock already, so yes these are popular.

You can only rip out the emergency slidesand life vests from so many airplanes. If the flights ever do get in the air again, they'll be teaching you how to do breast stroke to swim back to the shore.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Barely gives him $1400 - Lucky him - If he was in the UK it would be lucky to get  $400 on the social 

55 years of paying into the SS system in the US and, with what his income was he qualified for the top monthly amount, with nothing more as far as income.  It is unfortunate that after just shy of 30 years with the company he was with and, them going under 2 months before he was to retire that his pension evaporated.  He then drove a logging truck and a Water Tender during fire seasons until he stopped last year at the age of 73.  Hopefully he will live long enough to enjoy his retirement. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I suppose that will depend (in the eyes of The Vatican at least) on the extent to which he is responsible for them becoming single mothers!????

Perhaps the pope in his role as the father of his flock is responsible? (Just joking.)

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Will these redundant ex-employees get free air tickets like the other free-loaders who have brought down this company?

Free tickets? I just told in a previous post that flying with THai Viet is cheaper than using the discounted tickets from THAI. 1 International and 1 Domestic ticket a year free but you have to pay all taxes. The free loaders you are talking about are probably not even employed by THai.

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Never liked their snobby hostesses. They have always treated my wife and Thai friends badly due to the hierarchal social system here. I loved winding them up by shouting "nong" at them and speaking Thai to them.  

I've always found Thai Airways hostesses, check in girls etc to be some of the most friendly and accommodating staff I have encountered.

Maybe it's just because I'm good looking though, I don't know.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cambodger said:

I've always found Thai Airways hostesses, check in girls etc to be some of the most friendly and accommodating staff I have encountered.

Maybe it's just because I'm good looking though, I don't know.

Could be because as a non-Thai, you don't even reach the bottom rung on the hierarchal social ladder, so no problem. 

• Haha 1

On 10/31/2020 at 4:10 PM, scorecard said:

of course it is voluntary, they know the layoffs are coming and they have the choice to resign now with a severance package or get laid off and receive the bare minimum unless they dispute and win.

i resigned voluntarily from a job with a a severance package that was more than double (almost triple) my annual salary.  

I danced my way home that day. Voluntarily.