So why

Meat Pie 47

We can sit outside almost every day; I can ride my bike until I get killed.

We live in a big house that's dirt cheap to rent. It's cheaper to eat out than cook your food.

We do not have to wear a mask ( except at shopping malls), and we can go where we want to in this country.

Okay, from time to time, it's just too hot, but better than too cold.

Look what's going on in other countries, please. 

• Like 2

Bangkok, Oriental setting
And the city don't know that the city is getting
The creme de la creme of the chess world 
In a show with everything but Yul Brynner

Time flies doesn't seem a minute
Since the Tirolean spa had the chess boys in it
All change don't you know that when you
Play at this level there's no ordinary venue

It's Iceland or the Philippines or Hastings or
Or this place!

One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster
The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free
You'll find a god in every golden cloister
And if you're lucky then the god's a she
I can feel an angel sliding up to me

One town's very like another
When your head's down over your pieces, brother

It's a drag, it's a bore, it's really such a pity
To be looking at the board, not looking at the city

Whaddya mean?
Ya seen one crowded, polluted, stinking town

Tea, girls, warm, sweet
Some are set up in the Somerset Maugham suite
Get thai'd, you're talking to a tourist
Whose every move's among the purest
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy

One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
Can't be too careful with your company
I can feel the devil walking next to me

Siam's gonna be the witness
To the ultimate test of cerebral fitness
This grips me more than would a
Muddy old river or reclining Buddha

And thank God I'm only watching the game controlling it

I don't see you guys rating
The kind of mate I'm contemplating
I'd let you watch, I would invite you
But the queens we use would not excite you

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlours

One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster
The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free
You'll find a god in every golden cloister
A little flesh, a little history
I can feel an angel sliding up to me

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy
One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
Can't be too careful with your company
I can feel the devil walking next to me

Edited by wolf81

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's still the availability of women that attracts many guys but they don't like admitting it including on this thread, it's always an alternative reason, weather, golf

by that statement i take it you have no idea what it is like to live in -30c, to have winter over half the time,

but its real in a large part of this snowball earth.

we are currently in an ice age, inter glacial or not it is

of no comfort for those sods that got that ticket

25 minutes ago, scammed said:

by that statement i take it you have no idea what it is like to live in -30c, to have winter over half the time,

but its real in a large part of this snowball earth.

we are currently in an ice age, inter glacial or not it is

of no comfort for those sods that got that ticket

Florida, Panama, Costa Rica, lots of warm choices nearer

16 hours ago, farang51 said:

For snowbirds like me it is the weather. This year it will also be for some semblance of normality away from virus, mandatory mask wearing etc. I'm hoping to arrive on the new STV friday.

And you've managed to actually get a STV, COE and everything else needed and are willing to quarantine with the expense involved?  I know insurance isn't too difficult .

That's a WOW!!

Seriously, i'm usually a snowbird like you.... but this year I just haven't so far made any plans.

Edited by VBF

1 minute ago, VBF said:

And you've managed to get a visa, COE and everything needed and are willing to quarantine with the expense involved?  I know insurance isn't too difficult .

That's a WOW!!

Seriously, i'm a snowbird like you....usually, but this year I just haven't so far made any plans.

I haven't got the visa and COE yet, but I should get both Tuesday. The 40.000/400.00 insurance was actually the hardest part; the covid insurance was easy. I figure it will cost me 100.000 baht extra for almost 6 months in Thailand compared to staying home; that is not more than what many ordinary tourists pay for 14 days.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

On earth would  anybody like to live in Thailand ? Not talking about Expats coming back to Thailand

Yes they have made their lives here like I made many years  ago. But why would anybody comming

to Thailand now (if the can)

Pre Covid, western tourists were in decline to Thailand.  It was a holiday to Thailand that advertised Thailand to western tourists as a future retirement destination.  So, with declining western tourists, you can expect declining western retiree expat numbers in the future. 

Many of the current western retiree expats will simply not be replaced by the next generation coming through. 

Things like visas, exchange rates, high cost of living here etc, may be sighted, but Thailand was falling out of favour with westerners for a holiday before Covid.  If they don't ever holiday here, no chance they will be an expat here in the future.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, farang51 said:

I haven't got the visa and COE yet, but I should get both Tuesday. The 40.000/400.00 insurance was actually the hardest part; the covid insurance was easy. I figure it will cost me 100.000 baht extra for almost 6 months in Thailand compared to staying home; that is not more than what many ordinary tourists pay for 14 days.

Well done.  I get your point, but you do say  100.000 baht extra, so not inconsiderable, but I guess you'll save on heating bills in Denmark! Obviously you've worked it out as acceptable and good luck to you. Do keep this thread updated please....I may follow you yet! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Pre Covid, western tourists were in decline to Thailand.  It was a holiday to Thailand that advertised Thailand to western tourists as a future retirement destination.  So, with declining western tourists, you can expect declining western retiree expat numbers in the future. 

Many of the current western retiree expats will simply not be replaced by the next generation coming through. 

Things like visas, exchanges rates, high cost of living here etc, may be sighted, but Thailand was falling out of favour with westerners before Covid. 

I agree - Thailand has changed a lot in the past 3 decades...but where hasn't?

As is clear from my posts above, I usually do  the "snowbird" thing, having previously planned to emigrate to Thailand - a plan which I then abandoned and I've been retired for some years now.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, VBF said:

I agree - Thailand has changed a lot in the past 3 decades...but where hasn't?

As is clear from my posts above, I usually do  the "snowbird" thing, having previously planned to emigrate to Thailand - a plan which I then abandoned and I've been retired for some years now.

Why did you abandon the idea?

4 months (snowbird) is not much different to 6 months, or 12 months, which is living here.  

10 minutes ago, VBF said:

Well done.  I get your point, but you do say  100.000 baht extra, so not inconsiderable, but I guess you'll save on heating bills in Denmark!

It is not 100.000 baht more than it would normally cost me to go to Thailand; it is 100.000 baht more than if staying at home this winter. Depends on your point of view, 100.000 baht for a 6 months "holiday" is not much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Why did you abandon the idea?

4 months (snowbird) is not much different to 6 months, or 12 months, which is living here.  

The various changes in Thai visas, it getting more expensive, the lack of choice regarding leisure activities (live music and other such things), a feeling of impermanence  (ie always being on a "extension of stay").

I realise these issues are surmountable and don't bother everyone but as a wise songwriter once wrote..."if it doesn't come naturally, leave it"

Until now, 2-3 months of winter in Thailand and the rest of the time UK and travelling around Europe and other places satisfied what I wanted. 

That answer your question? ????

But......Then came Covid! 

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VBF said:

The various changes in Thai visas, it getting more expensive, the lack of choice regarding leisure activities (live music and other such things), a feeling of impermanence  (ie always being on a "extension of stay").

I realise these issues are surmountable and don't bother everyone but as a wise songwriter once wrote..."if it doesn't come naturally, leave it"

Until now, 2-3 months of winter in Thailand and the rest of the time UK and travelling around Europe satisfied what I wanted. 

Then came Covid!  That answer your question? ????

I completely understand, and I agree with you.

It's why I use an agent, and only transfer living expenses to Thailand on a monthly basis.  

I have nothing here that I can't sell at a fire sale within a matter of hours, or donate, and get to the airport within 36 hours and be gone. 

I have already chosen my "Plan B" and it's Vietnam. 

If Thailand wants to make my life difficult here, I'm going next door.  Of course, I will come back to visit on tourist visas regularly, but there's certainly no need for me to put up with their rubbish.   

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, farang51 said:

It is not 100.000 baht more than it would normally cost me to go to Thailand; it is 100.000 baht more than if staying at home this winter. Depends on your point of view, 100.000 baht for a 6 months "holiday" is not much.

So you've taken your usual costs for your Thailand sojourn, which you see as a regular outgoing,  and added 100.000 baht to that figure looking at it as an additional holiday?

Not that it matters as if it works for you, that's all that counts after all.

As I say, enjoy, and please update this thread  - especially with details of quarantine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I completely understand, and I agree with you.

It's why I use an agent, and only transfer living expenses to Thailand on a monthly basis.  

I have nothing here that I can't sell at a fire sale within a matter of hours, or donate, and get to the airport within 36 hours and be gone. 

I have already chosen my "Plan B" and it's Vietnam. 

If Thailand wants to make my life difficult here, I'm going next door.  Of course, I will come back to visit on tourist visas regularly, but there's certainly no need for me to put up with their rubbish.   

Very wise, IMO. ????

Up until Covid, I didn't need a Plan B..at present planning anything much is "challenging".

Partly why I was so keen to engage with @farang51  in this thread. 

Ho Hum.....

6 minutes ago, VBF said:

So you've taken your usual costs for your Thailand sojourn, which you see as a regular outgoing,  and added 100.000 baht to that figure looking at it as an additional holiday?

No, sorry that I am not being clear; English is not my first language. The 100.000 baht is not on top of what I usually pay to go to Thailand. Usually, I go for free, because I rent out my apartment in Denmark for a good price while I am away.

This year, I cannot do that, so this year it is not for free - even if I stay at home as I still have to pay rent in Thailand. The 100.000 baht is for flight, quarantine, insurance, and a laptop to keep me sane in quarantine - minus saved heating and savings because of cheaper food.

4 minutes ago, farang51 said:

No, sorry that I am not being clear; English is not my first language. The 100.000 baht is not on top of what I usually pay to go to Thailand. Usually, I go for free, because I rent out my apartment in Denmark for a good price while I am away.

This year, I cannot do that, so this year it is not for free - even if I stay at home as I still have to pay rent in Thailand. The 100.000 baht is for flight, quarantine, insurance, and a laptop to keep me sane in quarantine - minus saved heating and savings because of cheaper food.

Your English is way superior to my ZERO Danish!

I hadn't realised you actually have a place in Thailand which you're paying for anyway, year-round, presumably?

So, yes, I can see your reasoning a little more clearly now. I must say that roughly UKP2500 seems a good deal for all you mention - and your rent in Thailand would have to be paid whether you went or not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VBF said:

I hadn't realised you actually have a place in Thailand which you're paying for anyway, year-round, presumably?

Yes, and that is actually a problem when applying for the STV. The embassy wants a document from the landlord saying that I stay in the apartment between this and that date. I am still waiting for such a document from the landlord. Without that I cannot get the STV; however, I have been told that if the STV fails I can get a 2 month tourist visa which can get a 30 day extension. Still hoping for the 6 months with the STV.

Maybe this thread is not suitable for this?

2 minutes ago, farang51 said:

Yes, and that is actually a problem when applying for the STV. The embassy wants a document from the landlord saying that I stay in the apartment between this and that date. I am still waiting for such a document from the landlord. Without that I cannot get the STV; however, I have been told that if the STV fails I can get a 2 month tourist visa which can get a 30 day extension. Still hoping for the 6 months with the STV.

Maybe this thread is not suitable for this?

So your original comment..."I'm hoping to arrive on the new STV friday...." is a little optimistic.

I don't know about the Thai Embassy in Denmark but we Brits cannot get a 2 month tourist visa at this time as the London Embassy website states " The UK and Ireland are not in the list of low risk countries for COVID-19 so not eligible for tourist visa and special tourist visa"  I assume Denmark is on that list.

We do seem to have hijacked the thread don't we? Sorry @Meat Pie 47

5 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

We can sit outside almost every day; I can ride my bike until I get killed.

We live in a big house that's dirt cheap to rent. It's cheaper to eat out than cook your food.

We do not have to wear a mask ( except at shopping malls), and we can go where we want to in this country.

Okay, from time to time, it's just too hot, but better than too cold.

Look what's going on in other countries, please. 

Don't compare Thailand with the US or Europe or Melbourne,I never worn a mask

not compulsive here I can get a decent meal outside for about 200 baht.

But I love to cook so I cook myself most times. I have free medicare, cheap

medication my electric bill is less than it was in Thailand. And the weather is not

to bad, so I have no reason to go back to Thailand but before Covid-19 I visited

Thailand twice a year.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 3:18 AM, mike787 said:

Agreed, why would any want to?  So many other better options. 

Options change with the times, as with all countries.

Years ago Thailand was a good bet, now things are politically changing for the foreseeable future, financially things are changing for the worse and immigration rules are not making life easy for long stay.

Are there now better options elsewhere... I'm sure there are, but will they remain?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1