So why

Meat Pie 47

15 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

We can sit outside almost every day; I can ride my bike until I get killed.

We live in a big house that's dirt cheap to rent. It's cheaper to eat out than cook your food.

We do not have to wear a mask ( except at shopping malls), and we can go where we want to in this country.

Okay, from time to time, it's just too hot, but better than too cold.

Look what's going on in other countries, please. 

I agree, My biggest whine about Thailand was immigration, which are gone now that there are no foreigners and visiting immigration is very easy. I'm having a very nice time here at the moment.

France and the UK (my alternative choices of places to live) are about to lock everyone up at home.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I agree, My biggest whine about Thailand was immigration, which are gone now that there are no foreigners and visiting immigration is very easy. I'm having a very nice time here at the moment.

France and the UK (my alternative choices of places to live) are about to lock everyone up at home.

Yes, immigration was a breeze this year with the new on-line appointment system.  Less crowds now, easier travel and cheaper prices for hotels, plus my home the US is a train wreck between Covid and the political issues.  Enjoying life as I can with few restrictions. So yes That is why.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 2:31 AM, kenk24 said:

It seems lately that 50% or more of my friends living elsewhere have mentioned 'thinking' of moving here... I don't expect many will... but reasons are basically not being happy where they are be it virus or politics in their home country... 

Most people want simple lives, and able to live free and comfortable. Most countries are not offering this now. Live is more of a struggle for some so they are looking for greener pastures.

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

No one likes me anywhere else , even now with the unfavorable exchange rates, its getting quite expensive to pay people to like me here in Thailand 

I can fix that for you. However, it does require gym work, attitude adjustment, and plastic surgery.

3 hours ago, ravip said:

Reading through the TVF, nothing of that is offered in Thailand - in fact just the opposite! LOL

Pessimism abounds on TVF, it's a bit like looking for support for Biden on Fox News. There are a few of us that enjoy our lives in Thailand, it's a matter of attitude.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It depends on what is important to you. A Thai GF 23 years younger than me, where would I get that in Australia lacking the wallet of a millionaire?

You can get that in any country in South East Asia, Singapore aside, "so why" Thailand for that?  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You can get that in any country in South East Asia, Singapore aside, "so why" Thailand for that?  

True, however, Thailand has better food than the Philippines, Malaysia is mostly Muslims, and places like Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia have lousy infrastructure e.g. hospitals, dental clinics and power supply. Vietnam does not encourage relationships with foreigners. IMO Thailand is the most practical, except of course the visa weirdnesses.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Vietnam does not encourage relationships with foreigners. IMO Thailand is the most practical, except of course the visa weirdnesses.

5 year multiple entry marriage visa in Vietnam for about $50USD.  No other requirements needed.  Yes, it's that simple.  

Not sure why you say Vietnam does not encourage relationships with foreigners.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leaver said:

5 year multiple entry marriage visa in Vietnam for about $50USD.  No other requirements needed.  Yes, it's that simple.  

Not sure why you say Vietnam does not encourage relationships with foreigners.  

The notices posted in every hotel I stayed at. Forget the specifics of what they said, but hanky-panky with foreigners is definitely frowned upon.

Strangely enough, my Thai GF was taken for a Filipina everywhere we went in Vietnam.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The notices posted in every hotel I stayed at. Forget the specifics of what they said, but hanky-panky with foreigners is definitely frowned upon.

Strangely enough, my Thai GF was taken for a Filipina everywhere we went in Vietnam.

Those days are long gone. 

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

In the hotels I stayed, it said no unregistered guests in the room without notifying reception.

The visiting lady had to leave her ID book with reception util she left.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

The Thai girls are better at pretending they love you or at least genuinely like you.

The Filipinos always seemed a bit insincere, and the Vietnamese were a little too businesslike.

Edited by BritManToo

8 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Along with the usage of the word "Hank-panky" , even that words successor *Bonk* is also now outdated .

"Hanky -panky" replaced the term *A bit of hows your Father * .

My apologies for using an anachronism, I was brought up in more polite times.

I've always been partial to the Scots expression, "hock m'gandy"

Since you are so knowledgeable on the topic, what is the most recent terminology?

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It depends on what is important to you. A Thai GF 23 years younger than me, where would I get that in Australia lacking the wallet of a millionaire?

I think the only things I miss are a decent eye fillet steak and a robust shiraz. I certainly don't miss the nanny state stuff, or shelling out a small fortune in council rates, electricity and car registration.

My TGF is 20 years younger than myself and the relationship is great. But I did say if I could afford to live back home at paradise point I think I would. If I could afford it,the electricity and rates would not be a problem.

As for the nanny state ? What actually are you referring too.

There becomes a time and age where I think that you start thinking with the big head rather than the little head. Especially regarding health and the availability of decent medical requirements. It’s all well and good if you can afford decent health cover  when your say in your late 60s or early 70s but that’s really expensive.And too be honest the public health system here is a bit of a concern to me.Just starting to think a bit more into the future as I get a bit older that’s all. 

• Like 1