Thailand to track tourists with digital wristbands

rooster59

Just now, Tounge Thaied said:

Does anyone know if those recent "STV" Chinese business men that recently came in to buy up the place have to wear this tracking system?

Probably, then the government will know which buildings they have been to visit and bought.

• Like 2

They are even thinking about to add some more tracking possibilities.

If a Thai lady doesn't trust her BF or husband, she can (after having paid 8000baht) ask that the "Fidelity tracker" will be added to the farming's device.

15 minutes ago, darrendsd said:
4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

If they are tested negative before arrival, and after quarantine, why the <deleted> have this bizarre situation ?

The only tools in the fight against the Covid-19 ripple are these people with the ridiculous, over the top ideas ! 

The over the top ideas that have seen Thailand virtually stop Covid infections you mean?

Yes - shutting down a nations economy - moving towards 20% unemployment, killing off an industry which contributes nearly 20% to Thailands GDP. 

Quarantining all arrivals clearly works - but its also extremely damaging. 

This tracking idea isn’t actually bad on the surface / in theory as an alternative to Quarantine. 

However, the practicalities include numerous flaws, the bands (which look like Xiaomi Band 5) can simply be removed and are not better than a Smart Phone (and need to be synched to a smart phone). Thus the idea actually has been very poorly thought out. 

IF Thailand wants tourism back the simple steps are easy: 

- Anyone travelling to Thailand must have a Covid-19 Negative test result (taken <72 hrs prior to flight)

- Anyone arriving in Thailand must take a Covid-19 test on arrival

- Anyone arriving in Thailand must agree to track and trace (App on their smart phone) for at least two weeks.

- Continued social isolation measures (mask wearing / frequent hand sanitisation etc)

The preflight test for ALL takes care of most of the potential issues. 

The arrival test conforms the pre-flight test. 

There will be people who ’slip through the gaps’ this is what track and trace is for. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, night_rider said:

I think the point is missed.

It's not necessary that it work. PM Anutin has proposed a 10 day quarantine. In addition he specifically mentioned tracking and follow up. I'd gather this is the tracking. Again it's not necessary that it work. It is only necessary that it quell the domestic pushback from Thai nationals against letting anyone in. 

If they want to put on a show, I'll make the popcorn.

My sole concern is the cost. Hell if they cut quarantine to 5 days I'll wear two of the damn things.

I think you are right here, it's an announcement to quell the fear of the Terrified Thais ..

4 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Respected and revered guests from China will naturally be exempted....as their moral purity, responsible behavior, personal cleanliness and disease-free health practices are above reproach.

In which parallel universe??:wai: 

48 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

They are even thinking about to add some more tracking possibilities.

If a Thai lady doesn't trust her BF or husband, she can (after having paid 8000baht) ask that the "Fidelity tracker" will be added to the farming's device.

You can do that thru any smart phone now.

This morning I asked / mentioned about this OP not having a credible source of the news. We 'peasant members' have threads removed if they're 'news' without a source.

From what I gather, the only 'news website' on this topic is PattayaNews... 

image.png.d2216480e666a782643d43a1947b9774.png

iOS and Android have built in API’s to build apps to contact trace in conjunction with the native capabilities of the smart phone.  There are other digital solutions, the wrist band is an unnecessary expense when an app can do the job, scaleable and lower cost.  

• Like 1

Just now, chiman said:

iOS and Android have built in API’s to build apps to contact trace in conjunction with the native capabilities of the smart phone.  There are other digital solutions, the wrist band is an unnecessary expense when an app can do the job, scaleable and lower cost.  

Absolutely agree.

I suspect someone in a position of decision making power is thinking he can push this through he will proffit from the procurement of these Xiamomi Smart Band’s which usually sell for about 1000 baht, but I’m sure the government could buy them for 2000 baht a piece from the right importer !!!

Realistically - track and trace using these bands will only work when synced to a smart phone. The bands are completely superfluous to the whole practice of ‘track and trace’.

• Like 2

So, how many of these devices are they going to order now from their Chinese buddies? 

8 million pieces, or 11 million? Or are they a little bit more optimistic and order already 40 million? ????

Edited by Flying Saucage

6 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

These devices are full of flaws, they're going to send alarms of low blood pressure, tachycardia, fever all over the place. It's not gonna work. 

Well it’s not like we expect anyone to actually diligently monitor these things. Just like when I tried to call the English speaking tourist police one night. No answer at all. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chiman said:

But good old P’Lek and his cronies won’t make money off the app. 

• Thanks 1