When the CIA Ran Covert Operations From Bangkok's Red-Light District

Interesting article with the history of a – for some – well know street(s) in Bangkok, with a almost family oriented night market in the middle, at least full of families when I was there; don't know if dads had to check "the shops" behind the night market stalls...😉

By the way the door "Rose" on the photo in the article, might also be a well known entrance to a second floor bar for some...:whistling:

1604052680040-000hkg5514947.jpeg?crop=1x

Edited by khunPer
5 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Interesting article with the history of a – for some – well know street(s) in Bangkok, with a almost family oriented night market in the middle, at least full of families when I was there; don't know if dads had to check "the shops" behind the night market stalls...😉

By the way the door "Rose" on the photo in the article, might also be a well known entrance to a second floor bar for some...:whistling:

1604052680040-000hkg5514947.jpeg?crop=1x

There was no tourist night market when Poe held court.

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

A truly great bar, along with The Kangaroo nearby !  If one could make it from the entrance door to the bar with one's pants still around one's trousers, that was a true test of determination 🙂

One didn't usually try too hard! 🙄

I enjoyed The Kangaroo on my first trip to Thailand in 1985 - happy, happy days! 

Not been to Patpong for a long time (early nineties) but I thought it had lost most of its nightlife years ago and was simply a tourist market now?

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, rooster59 said:

When the CIA Ran Covert Operations From Bangkok's Red-Light District

Wonder what is was that first attracted them to set up offices there...

Patpong Museum is well worthwhile. 350 baht, includes a drink in their bar and a personal guide through the museum. Great way to spend an hour. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, katana said:

Wonder what is was that first attracted them to set up offices there...

For recruitment 

87 percent of TV tells people they are undercover agents.  Thais don't understand, but the farangs can spin the web of deception.....lol

i met a guy who said he was undercover.....had three backpacks....said one had money and 10 passports.....lol

but then seemed to worry about if the noodle soup was 40 or 50 baht.  lol