More than 100 foreigners ripped off for 5 million baht+ in education visa scam

rooster59

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

But when nothing happened they went to immigration in Surat Thani where they were told it was not possible to change a Non-B into an education visa. 

Education is expensive.  If you don't want to spend 60 seconds on Google researching someone's claim...

You are going to learn the HARD WAY, Bwahahahaha.

????

1 hour ago, ronaldo0 said:

Wouldn’t have happened if they had been better educated instead of hanging out on the beach thinking they were Leo dicaprio while living off mummy and daddy or on their gap years ! ????

Judging by the photo in the OP they were, perhaps, on a "gap decade"!

• Haha 2

Correct    not say they are teachers.....they   would do a course...

Enough  said ..it  was a scam   for sure about the Visa...    As for the  guy  who thinks all  farangs  come to  Thailand  to party  drink  party  drink  and have sex with many  partners  (  both  girls  and boys  I am sure!! )

Well  yes in the past  I  will admit that was true...  I feel  also  this  contributed to the  downfall of the  respectablitiy  of the Tourist industry 

in Thailand  and  blind eye to this  behaviour  went on for too long  same as prostitution with a very high rate of  Aids  and VD  in Thailand  now 

The  Virus  has just shown now  how bad it  was ....

It will be years before it ever gets like that  again if ever  ......Hopefully  never 

Good Luck  Thailand 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

One needs to have an education and be able to tell the difference between a legal visa option and a scam BEFORE one can become an educator.

Didn't any of these 'teachers' consider why they would need 100 teachers on Koh Phangan?

I didn't see any mention that they were planning on studying to become teachers. They may wanted to study Thai language. And even if they were planning on studying to be teachers, just because a school is open and offering and education, does not mean that they were expecting to find jobs in that same Island.

10 hours ago, orchis said:

true. in the week before Sep.26 agents in Pattaya quoted 47,000 thb.
the "normal" rate before that was 27,000.

I got a medical visa for 20,000 baht took passport 22/9/2020

passport back 25/9/2020 

my bad luck was they gave another amnesty,for another month Until the 31/10/2020 so I never needed too pay for it 

but I could stay until the end of November + I could of gone too the jomtien immigration,I got my stamp as well for the moth of October 

but I had too come home on the 27/10/ 2020 because I ran out of money ,I been there since March I was only going for one month ,but the visa was fine when i through immigration at the airport,I was a bit worried,but no problem,so I’m all good 

The details of the article are an fallacy.

I applied to study with this school in July.

Due to Thai Immigration delays the visa has only recently been approved, but it has finally occurred.

The school has clearly worked exceptionally hard to try satisfy everyone. There is no scam here.

And this figure of 5m baht is absolute nonsense.

the most expensive course was only 40k, which was for visa processing, immigration’s fees, and tuition. There aren’t event 200 students.

most have only paid a 50% deposit.

200 (over-estimate) X 20,000 (half deposit) = 4m thb and MOST of these people GOT THEIR VISAS.

this article is a joke.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Anyone notice a little discrepancy with the maths in the OP?

100 people paid a 20,000 deposit but were ripped off for 5 million?

Am I missing something or is Thai maths different to Western maths?

It’s because this article is a lie

1 hour ago, TheRealRobin said:

I didn't see any mention that they were planning on studying to become teachers. They may wanted to study Thai language. And even if they were planning on studying to be teachers, just because a school is open and offering and education, does not mean that they were expecting to find jobs in that same Island.

Yes, the error in my post has already been pointed out and fully acknowledged.

Nevertheless, despite there possibly being maybe 250 applicants for these ED visas, you can probably count on one hand how many actually wanted to learn the language. Before the ED visa was invented, the usual route for those wishing to stay long-time was to become a bar manager with gogo bar manager being a sort of executive hiring. TBH, I can't see the difference.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ACP7 said:

Due to Thai Immigration delays the visa has only recently been approved, but it has finally occurred.

The school has clearly worked exceptionally hard to try satisfy everyone. There is no scam here.

the most expensive course was only 40k, which was for visa processing, immigration’s fees, and tuition. There aren’t event 200 students.

200 (over-estimate) X 20,000 (half deposit) = 4m thb and MOST of these people GOT THEIR VISAS.

this article is a joke.

Did any of the applicants who were on a non-B visa get the ED extension? I looked into this some time ago, and all sources (immigration and agents) said it wasn’t possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tatman95 said:

I got a medical visa for 20,000 baht took passport 22/9/2020

passport back 25/9/2020 

my bad luck was they gave another amnesty,for another month Until the 31/10/2020 so I never needed too pay for it 

but I could stay until the end of November + I could of gone too the jomtien immigration,I got my stamp as well for the moth of October 

but I had too come home on the 27/10/ 2020 because I ran out of money ,I been there since March I was only going for one month ,but the visa was fine when i through immigration at the airport,I was a bit worried,but no problem,so I’m all good 

this was for non imm O 15 months

2 hours ago, ACP7 said:

this article is a joke.

I see that you have a total of 2 posts on TV and they're both in this thread. So you joined this forum 2 hours ago just to defend your school? That's very kind of you. How do you know that most of these people got visas and if so, why are over 100 people pressing charges? Or is that a lie too? Any insights you can provide would be appreciated.

• Like 1

This scam has been going on for years. It was legit at the beginning but foreigners were just signing up then never attending classes, so the government put a stop to it. This was just a way to extent your stay it had nothing to do with teaching.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, edogthong said:

These are foreigners who did everything to follow the Thai visa rules. These people contacted a well established and reputable school to obtain an ED visa. If anything, this group tried to follow the rules more than just about all other stranded foreigners. They didn't opt for a fake volunteer or ED visa or make up a bogus reason for why they can't leave Thailand. สมน้ำหน้า doesn't apply here at all. What's wrong with you? 

If they were a reputable and we'll established school, why did they not provide the visa

or give a refund? 

It seems a little odd that so many applied for this visa in a relatively short period of time

although I don't know how many schools offer courses compatible with visa requirements

on the Island.

Most of these people aren't here to study Thai anyway so they themselves are scamming the government.

They skip classes as much as possible or just come in for the first hour.

Edited by EricTh

4 hours ago, TheRealRobin said:

TEFL (teaching English as foreign language) course takes only one to two months to obtain. These are crash courses out to make money for some people.

They are probably learning Thai language which needs one year.

Edited by EricTh

17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Manager said they had originally heard about the school being able to get them a one year education visa from teachers working there.

Ok, if you heard this then you knew and you did nothing to stop the school from ripping off the foreigners. 

I bet anything immigration got a side piece by allowing it to happen....???????????????? I heard that Chonburi immigration was doing the same. 

The school jump ship when the government stated a month Or two ago that they would fine all involve in falsifying visas.  Where here is another case in the same area of Thailand. 

Suggestion, when applying for any type visa, do it yourself at the immigration office. This way you want get ripped off.