Calls for Thais to work factory jobs previously done by absent migrants

rooster59

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

More chance of landing on the moon, In Phuket they've had it to good to go back to sticky rice land for 300 Baht per day

Dead right, can't see anyone getting off their back earning 3,000 baht to work all day in a factory for 300.

Black Death - Wikipedia

"With such a large population decline from the pandemic, wages soared in response to a labour shortage. On the other hand, in the quarter century after the Black Death in England, it is clear many labourers, artisans, and craftsmen, those living from money-wages alone, did suffer a reduction in real incomes owing to rampant inflation............."

"...........Landowners were also pushed to substitute monetary rents for labour services in an effort to keep tenants."

"As a result of the decimation in the populace the value of the working class increased, and commoners came to enjoy more freedom."

And much more besides.

Momentous times for Thailand (what with all that goin' on in Bangkok an' all).

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

I have a nephew working in a pineapple factory in Pran Buri area and I thought the wages were okay. They work on weight, not day rate, and get free accommodation too. If there's a lot of fruit comes in he could get 20-30k a month, plus his wife working there too. They're doing okay. Managed to save enough to put down on a car. 

Funnily enough the Burmese there all want to work day rate, and the Thais by weight. 

13 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Phot said that most Thais do not want to do their jobs despite being out of work themselves. 

So if I say  most Thais are  bone idle I get suspended, but here its  clear what this  minister is  saying is  exactly  that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, robblok said:

Maybe if you increase the wages a bit they would be more inclined to work there. But face it a production job is not something most people want to do. I know I studied hard to never having to do it. 

Learned from my jobs while studying the things i absolutely did not want to do. So i studied on. So I understand people not wanting to do stupid jobs like that. But higher pay and the fact that they have no job should persuade them.

This is  what I learnt , something is  always  better than nothing. Increasing wages does  nothing as I've found with  workers on the land, they still don't  want to do it.

12 hours ago, NumbNut said:

Exactly, start paying a decent commensurate wage and you will start to see vacancies being filled with locals. Pay poorly and you won't, it's not rocket science.

So many enlightened tv posters so quick to pass judgement on Thai workers from their comfy bar stools.   

A  time and  motion study would reveal the awful truth of Thais  working in many cases, as  mentioned  they  cant  stay  off  their  phones  for more  than 15  seconds

• Like 1

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Some people are clueless about what is happening around them, appears you fit that category.

I am passing judgement, not from a bar stool, dont drink, dont frequent bars.

Impossible to get locals to do menial tasks, even if you pay them well, i know, we have tried, people here who do not already have regular jobs are not interested in work, too bloody lazy.

So true  Colin, exactly my experiences, that and if they do  arrive do a bit and either don't come the next day or start whining its too hard.

• Like 2

I think it's interesting that many people here complain about the bad jobs.

I also wouldn't like to work in a factory for 300B a day. But if I wouldn't have any work and no money and no food then I am sure I would love to have the possibility to earn at least some money for food.

It's always a question of the available options. Something bad is better than nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think it's interesting that many people here complain about the bad jobs.

I also wouldn't like to work in a factory for 300B a day. But if I wouldn't have any work and no money and no food then I am sure I would love to have the possibility to earn at least some money for food.

It's always a question of the available options. Something bad is better than nothing.

Depends a bit on your options. But there are other options and people are not dying. So they just refuse to work for such a low wage.

Lot of people here want to pay peanuts and then complain about bad jobs. I guess they forgot the saying pay peanuts get monkeys. 

I know plenty of hard working Thais.. but usually they have a better job and better salary. 

Why do production work for 300 bt if you can make more in a shop. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Depends a bit on your options. But there are other options and people are not dying. So they just refuse to work for such a low wage.

Lot of people here want to pay peanuts and then complain about bad jobs. I guess they forgot the saying pay peanuts get monkeys. 

I know plenty of hard working Thais.. but usually they have a better job and better salary. 

Meanwhile some UK  pilots  unable to work in the airline business are delivering groceries for supermarkets, spot  the difference.

5 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Meanwhile some UK  pilots  unable to work in the airline business are delivering groceries for supermarkets, spot  the difference.

Yes, the difference is that they are still not doing production jobs. I delivered post when I was younger not a bad job at all. But production stuff (did it in agriculture) sucks. 

• Like 1

Just now, robblok said:

Yes, the difference is that they are still not doing production jobs. I delivered post when I was younger not a bad job at all. But production stuff (did it in agriculture) sucks. 

When you  have no  money a job's a  job, If  I  had  no  money I would  shovel sh-it  all day to get out of  that poverty, and have done, when you  have nothing you don't get to pick and choose, if the economy worsens you  will see them doing anything when the penny drops and the extended  family get tired of the spongers within.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, robblok said:

If you can make more in a shop then sure, go for it.

Recently I heard lots of people who used to work in tourist related businesses are looking for work. But it seem most of them can't find any work because too many people are looking for jobs right now.

And then maybe a bad paid factory job is better than no job.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you can make more in a shop then sure, go for it.

Recently I heard lots of people who used to work in tourist related businesses are looking for work. But it seem most of them can't find any work because too many people are looking for jobs right now.

And then maybe a bad paid factory job is better than no job.

IMHO it would be but I would only do it if I absolutely had too. Those jobs are dead ends.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

IMHO it would be but I would only do it if I absolutely had too. Those jobs are dead ends.

A long time ago in a country far away I lost a job on short notice and I needed money.

I worked in a factory for about 3 months and made some money. Did I like it? Not really. Was it a dead end? Sure. Did it pay the bills. Yes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robblok said:

And many of the People doing Production Jobs will not be doing them for much longer.

Robots and AI will take over many of these Jobs it is said within the next 5 Years or so.

What of all those people then ? 

Many, many are hardly likely to be retrained as Lab Technicians or Computer Programers, so the options will be Zero work, or work the jobs that before you sneered at.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

A long time ago in a country far away I lost a job on short notice and I needed money.

I worked in a factory for about 3 months and made some money. Did I like it? Not really. Was it a dead end? Sure. Did it pay the bills. Yes.

Sure if I had no other options and needed the money then yes. I always make sure i got some reserves as i spend less then i make. Anyway i do feel that people who are on welfare should be taking jobs. But if your not getting that then its your own choice. They obviously feel that the extra money is not worth it or don't need the money.

14 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

And many of the People doing Production Jobs will not be doing them for much longer.

Robots and AI will take over many of these Jobs it is said within the next 5 Years or so.

What of all those people then ? 

Many, many are hardly likely to be retrained as Lab Technicians or Computer Programers, so the options will be Zero work, or work the jobs that before you sneered at.

This is something that is happening all over the world. But arent production jobs the first that go. So how in your story will there be robotics while the jobs i sneered at are still there.

Anyway people should only work if they need the money if they don't and dont take welfare its their own choice.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Anyway people should only work if they need the money if they don't and dont take welfare its their own choice.

The Krung Thai bank at the local mall yesterday had a throng of people waiting to be signed up for the latest welfare scheme. It involves installing an e-wallet app, then transfering up to 1500 baht to it, to get this matching amount of welfare to spend at registered vendors.

Similar to the "Chim Chop Chai" about a year ago, except that was just free money being handed out, while this requires an investment.

These were clearly poor people, in faded t-shirts, shorts, and sandals, many sitting on the floor around the bank. At the fancy pastry and coffee shops across from them, the "haves" with their nicer clothes and nose jobs, looked down upon them with disdain.

1 minute ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

The Krung Thai bank at the local mall yesterday had a throng of people waiting to be signed up for the latest welfare scheme. It involves installing an e-wallet app, then transfering up to 1500 baht to it, to get this matching amount of welfare to spend at registered vendors.

Similar to the "Chim Chop Chai" about a year ago, except that was just free money being handed out, while this requires an investment.

These were clearly poor people, in faded t-shirts, shorts, and sandals, many sitting on the floor around the bank. At the fancy pastry and coffee shops across from them, the "haves" with their nicer clothes and nose jobs, looked down upon them with disdain.

Yes it seems a lot of foreigners also don't like the poor people and want them to work for them at low rates and provide a first rate job. If you are paying peanuts you get monkeys. Though I will admit its hard to find tradesmen here. But they are here as there are many nice buildings and things that are made good. If i look in the house I am currently living (thong lor BKK) the quality of building and everything is good.

Its just a matter of finding the right people. But those with skills are always busy. Those without are the ones that turn up to help a foreigner and mess up the work.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

This is the problem in the US and much of the Western world right now, all these "leftover" people. Not everyone's cut out for technical work, or even office work pushing papers.

There was a time you could do simple, honest work and raise a family. My mom and grandparents did.

Somebody said he'd bring the factories back. But when they're even leaving Thailand...

1603588614492.jpg