Britain may impose new national lockdown from Wednesday - Times

rooster59

Britain may impose new national lockdown from Wednesday - Times

2020-10-31T022205Z_1_LYNXMPEG9U01D_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-LOCKDOWN (1).JPG

FILE PHOTO: Pedestrians walk near public health signs in London, Britain, September 11, 2020. REUTERS/Toby Melville/File Photo

(Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is considering imposing new national lockdown measures next week, amid concerns that hospitals across the country are overwhelmed by a resurgence in COVID-19 cases, The Times newspaper reported on Friday.

The new restrictions could be introduced on Wednesday and remain in place until Dec. 1, the Times said.

Johnson is expected to hold a news conference on Monday to announce the new measures, under which everything could be closed except essential shops and "educational settings," the newspaper said.

However, the new measures were still under discussion, and no final decision had been made, the Times added, citing a senior government source.

Cabinet Office officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Reuters.

The United Kingdom on Friday reported 24,405 new cases of COVID-19 and a further 274 deaths within 28 days of a positive test, according to government data. It has now recorded more than 20,000 new coronavirus cases a day on average over the last week.

COVID-19 infections are rising so persistently in the United Kingdom that unless something can be done to reduce infections, the "reasonable worst case" scenario of 80,000 dead could be exceeded, scientists warned on Friday.

Currently, the government has a three-tier system of restrictions for local areas in England, with Level 3 the highest. Scotland, Wales and North Ireland run their own policies on fighting the pandemic.

In the third tier of restrictions, household mixing is banned, pubs and bars are ordered to remain closed, wedding receptions are not permitted, and travel to or from the area should be avoided.

The Times report added that the government is also considering tougher regional measures, known as Tier 4, but ministers are said to be in favour of a nationwide policy.

(Reporting by Juby Babu and Shubham Kalia in Bengaluru; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-10-31

41 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

This government is beyond a joke.....SAGE recommendation? Lockdown 21st September.....Johnson complete ignores that, comes up with his own scheme...recommended by no one....wack a mole....now look at the complete and utter mess we are in.

Every Minister has been on TV for three weeks rubbishing lockdown since Starmer raised it at PMQ's....this is going to be the grand-daddy of all U turns.

Johnson could not  run a whelk stall.

You will enjoy this video than, this professor states that lockdowns don't work, don't want to say anything more as the mods might make it disappear.

Check your inbox ????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

The article in The Times is a lie.

The way I hear is is that there's going to be an additional tier of restrictions introduced and it will continue to be enforced on a regional level.

Your source if you please?

As I'm in UK, that would be VERY interesting as this "total lockdown" is all over the place BBC et al https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54756950

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

No quotable source on this, I'm sure there will be a clarifying announcement soon.

Interesting....... If there's anything you can PM me on promise of confidentiality, please do.

Otherwise I'll have to be patient, I suppose.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, robblok said:

People are still moaning that Thailand has a quarantine and imposes masks and stuff. But it seems its doing countless times better then the UK and US and rest of Europe.

They are so right not to want to import cases and then they would be forced like the UK and parts of Europe to have lockdowns again with far worse economic problems then just the tourist sector.

I hope the UK can get this under control but in my country we have the same problem. People are not taking it too serious anymore. Just waiting for a second big wave with full hospitals. 

In Holland already they are sending patients to hospitals in Germany because the Dutch hospitals are at capacity. 

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

The way I hear is is that there's going to be an additional tier of restrictions introduced and it will continue to be enforced on a regional level.

Sadly, your informant was not too reliable   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54763956 

And here was I getting all optimistic 

Here we go again! ????

Edited by VBF

25 minutes ago, VBF said:

Sadly, your informant was not too reliable   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54763956 

And here was I getting all optimistic 

Here we go again! ????

I believe the situation changed rapidly multiple times over the day, something went very wrong today.

It was described to me earlier as 'Tier 4' - many in government were arguing over this, hence the delays in the press conference.

Talk of at least parts of the 1922 committee not happy about this and areas currently on Tier 1 jumping straight into this 'Tier 4' 'lockdown but not a full lockdown' are not happy at all.

There's going to be turmoil this week, they will vote on it this Wednesday in the commons.

Many voters will turn their back on the party due to this and they know it.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

So where is the lie, seems to be on your side.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

I believe the situation changed rapidly multiple times over the day, something went very wrong today.

It was described to me earlier as 'Tier 4' - many in government were arguing over this, hence the delays in the press conference.

Talk of at least parts of the 1922 committee not happy about this and areas currently on Tier 1 jumping straight into this 'Tier 4' 'lockdown but not a full lockdown' are not happy at all.

There's going to be turmoil this week, they will vote on it this Wednesday in the commons.

Many voters will turn their back on the party due to this and they know it.

Well i still have no idea what the geniuses in Whitehall  were discussing - I do know that the press conference was going to be 4:30PM, then 5:30, then....then finally it was at 6:30, yet the media seemed to have all the information well in advance.

Yes I'm in what was tier 1 (fewest restrictions) so no i'm not happy. I am pleased to say that the ridiculous "1 walk a day" idea from March is no longer included (I ignored it anyway!); now one can go out for exercise, shopping etc so for me it won't make much difference - I envisage having to walk to the supermarket every day...but none of that is the point. For many people it's just another stupid disaster which will achieve little. 

The problem is, it's all based on modelling put forward by Laurel and Hardy (aka Whitty and Vallance) which so far has been notoriously unreliable

And, as you say, it could get voted down on Wednesday, which could well paint Boris into a corner.

England to Shut Pubs, Restaurants and Most Shops as Virus Surges

Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s cabinet proposed the move on Saturday as medical experts warned that the virus would soon overwhelm hospitals if the government did not take draconian action.

LONDON — Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced plans on Saturday to shut down pubs, restaurants and most retail shops throughout England, a stark reversal in the face of grim projections that the country could face a deadly winter from the coronavirus unless it takes draconian action.

Mr. Johnson presented the measures as part of a new tier of restrictions that will cover all of England. But the steps, which would take effect on Thursday and last until Dec. 2, amount to a nationwide lockdown — something Mr. Johnson resisted for weeks because of the damage he said it would do to the economy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/31/world/great-britain-coronavirus-lockdown.html

5 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

But we have been told explicitly...time and time again by Johnson and his ministers that lockdowns don't work...it has to be wack a mole.......what went wrong?

Further from the NYT:

“We’ve got to be humble in the face of nature,” Mr. Johnson said at a hastily called news conference at 10 Downing Street. “In this county, alas, as across much of Europe, the virus is spreading even faster than the reasonable worst-case scenarios of our scientific advisers.”

• Haha 1