Air purifier/air filter recommendations?

Surelynot

Have a small condo...studio layout....40m2.......central Bangkok.

Looking out I can see the air quality rapidly deteriorating and, it might be my imagination,  feel I can smell the air and my chest getting tighter.

I am looking for recommendations for what to do/what to purchase to make the air in our studio as healthy as possible.

Thanks in advance for those kind enough to reply.

16 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Looking out I can see the air quality rapidly deteriorating and, it might be my imagination,  feel I can smell the air and my chest getting tighter.

I am looking for recommendations for what to do/what to purchase to make the air in our studio as healthy as possible.

Moving to the sea shore has to be a winner

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Your air conditioner, especially newer ones that are kept clean, filter the internal air to an extent.

Running the air con (even if just the fan) and regularly cleaning the filters can help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Your air conditioner, especially newer ones that are kept clean, filter the internal air to an extent.

Running the air con (even if just the fan) and regularly cleaning the filters can help.

Very interesting...that had not occurred to me......thanks for that

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

It all depends on what you want and what your budget is. I did a lot of research on this a few years back and went over the top in my investment, no regrets.

Our main bedroom is 48 square metres so I wanted something that would fire up pretty quick and take effect, our house is 320 square metres, so I also wanted something to be able to wheel it to other rooms if needed, sort of like a portable air conditioner, but as in a portable air purifier, e.g. wheeling into the girls rooms 20 to 30 square metres to provide clean filtered air for an hour or two, then back to ours for when we are going to sleep.

Like I said, no regrets but it all depends on your budget and to me it is a long term investment, sort of like the Rolex in watches, which I cannot afford, even if I could, I wouldn't but when it comes to health, sure can ????

If you do decide to go with this one, DO NOT buy it online as the warranty will not be covered, I purchased mine in Thailand, delivered to my door with insurance included.

https://www.iqair.com/th-en/room-air-purifiers/healthpro-series

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Giving that a try now......just need to check the cleanliness/replacement of the air filters with the landlord...cheers.

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

It all depends on what you want and what your budget is. I did a lot of research on this a few years back and went over the top in my investment, no regrets.

Our main bedroom is 48 square metres so I wanted something that would fire up pretty quick and take effect, our house is 320 square metres, so I also wanted something to be able to wheel it to other rooms if needed, sort of like a portable air conditioner, but as in a portable air purifier, e.g. wheeling into the girls rooms 20 to 30 square metres to provide clean filtered air for an hour or two, then back to ours for when we are going to sleep.

Like I no regrets but it all depends on your budget and to me it is a long term investment.

If you do decide to go with this one, DO NOT buy it online as the warranty will not be covered, I purchased mine in Thailand, delivered to my door with insurance included.

Brilliant thanks...will look into this as well.

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Like I no regrets but it all depends on your budget and to me it is a long term investment.

Which one did you go for?....There seems to be quite a range

Those IQ Pro are tip top, but yeah a massive investment.

In my 80 sqm condo I have an older Xiaomi 2S for my office and a new Xiaomi Pro for the rest, works pretty well and total cost under 10k.

I monitor the air quality independently with a Thai made Air Tricorder (nifty gadget), and while the Xiaomi seems to always show less than it really is, both combined make a great job overall of cleaning the air.

IQ Pro is definitely better, but these days Xiaomi are so good I'm not sure they're worth the extra cost.

Unrelated, but your post made me miss single life...................

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barnabe said:

Unrelated, but your post made me miss single life...................

5555...Burning the candle at both ends at the moment....do have a 'real' wife.....it can only last so long...bit nerve wracking at times

Edited by Surelynot
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Barnabe said:

How come the Thais don't complain about this? It feels like you're smoking 2 packs a day...

A week in a village in Isan explains all.....they are brought up in smoke......charcoal for cooking.....fires to get rid of rubbish...fires to keep the dogs warm.....then add in rice and sugar cane burning.......I stuck it out for 4 months then moved to Bangkok for the better air quality....5555

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Got 6 wives on the go in Bangkok (take Sunday's off)...so reluctant to move.

it is exhausting. :clap2: 

exhausting. see what i did there? 

because you know, this is about air purifiers. 

I will be looking into the IQ Pro.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

Giving that a try now......just need to check the cleanliness/replacement of the air filters with the landlord...cheers.

Easy to clean them yourself.

Besides the filters, though, the units themselves need a good cleaning about every 6 months and=you need technicians to come and do that (where I live costs 600 baht a unit, Bangkok area might be a bot more. Shops that sell a/c can usually send someone). You can try asking landlord to pay but if not well worth doing yourself.

In addition to improving air quality it will make the a/c run better and save on electricity.

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Easy to clean them yourself.

Besides the filters, though, the units themselves need a good cleaning about every 6 months and=you need technicians to come and do that (where I live costs 600 baht a unit, Bangkok area might be a bot more. Shops that sell a/c can usually send someone). You can try asking landlord to pay but if not well worth doing yourself.

In addition to improving air quality it will make the a/c run better and save on electricity.

Thanks for that...just been having a poke at the panels to see what I can do.....will try the landlord first....cheers.

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I have used Hatari as they are made in Thailand and filters have always been available - provides good filtration and run 24 hours a day 365 days a year and they just keep working.  Change filter every six months. 

i like Hatari as well........   for same reasons         

On 10/31/2020 at 9:59 AM, Surelynot said:

I have been living in Thailand for 11 years and I am not sure if its my age, (im 56 now), or the air quality that has been making me so short of breath, but in recent years i have been feeling it.

Last year, in fact November 2019 to about March of this, I felt like I had aged by 10+ years, poor sleep tight chest and bad throat were just some of my issues.

I live in Chonburi which is by no means the worst area for air pollution in Thailand. Bangkok is a no go area during pollution season for me now.

After seeing my pain last year a Swedish friend let me borrow a lightAir IonFlow air purifier for a week trial, (they are made in Sweden).

I did a lot of research and in the end decided to give it a go.

As they are bit more expensive than most standard HEPA air purifiers I didn't want to fork out 15K for something that wouldn't help. I think it was aboout 3 days later I payed for the one I had borrowed, and brought another. a few days and I felt so much better.

They don't work like normal filter type purifiers, they do something to the particles in the air and it just cleans it, simple to use just turn on or off, and no moving parts so no noise and no filters to replace. (50M coverage)

The IonFlow model has had 7 years of scientific reports to back their impressive claims and for me it works like a dream. Half a dozen of my friends also now have them.

Apparently they are the only ionizer purifiers that don't produce ozone, and they have been proven to stop virus, they keep the pollution under control, so when im at home Im fine.

Look up "Lightair ionflow" I think they are on Lazada now? They also have a website..

123707815_998925440617677_2035399670451252562_n.jpg

Edited by eljaybe
grammar

On 10/31/2020 at 10:50 AM, Barnabe said:

Here’s an example of what I mean, Xiaomi always shows less.

If I was moving to a bigger house, I think I would buy several Xiaomi ones for the price of an IQ Air.

101DC770-E273-492E-927D-FDE613A0D6D2.jpeg

- sorry but your tricorder works correct ...

- the xiaomi shows you pm2.5 005 µg/m3 ...

- the air tricorder shows you (big display) the pm2.5 as AQI but also µg/m3 (on the left side)

- look at the upper left coner of the triconer: pm2.5 004 µg/m3

- pm2.5 as µg/m3 and AQI are not the same ... just google it ...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, eljaybe said:

They don't work like normal filter type purifiers, they do something to the particles in the air and it just cleans it, simple to use just turn on or off, and no moving parts so no noise and no filters to replace. (50M coverage)

It is called negative ion generator and has been around for decades and very controversial - with or without ozone.  They indeed remove particles from the air and attach them to walls and everywhere else in the room.  Would not use without active filtration.