Air purifier/air filter recommendations?

Surelynot

On 10/31/2020 at 10:17 AM, Surelynot said:

Good point....but how come Hua Hin air quality is equally bad?

It's equally as bad in Huan Hin because in the dry season the air is blowing from the east and picking up all of Cambodia's burning and blows it directly into Prachuap Kiri khan. It gets real bad around December, and January. You have to go clear to Surat Thani to avoid bad air in the dry season.

• Thanks 1

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/32-i338736932-s656468629.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-294682000766!c!294682000766!656468629!120204106&gclid=CjwKCAiAnIT9BRAmEiwANaoE1ZtndQzE5S3GiJXAWO-thFXLDoE4E_sE36CwW0P1Fs1gaNA3wlBs2hoCFYoQAvD_BwE

I've done a lot of research on air purifiers. I recommend the above link unit. It's cheap and the replacement filters are cheap too. It works just as good as much more expensive units. I have three of them. This unit is made in China and is rebranded by many different marketers. I have units sold by XPX and Worldtech. They are all exactly the same unit. The filters need to be changed/cleaned every six months or so (depending on usage). Also, I cover the air intake slots on the unit with PMI 2.5 Filtrete strips. Works great and helps keep the interior filters cleaner for longer.

• Thanks 1

We have 3 in our house. 

Sharp with mosquito and Ion cleanser. (Bedroom)

Sharp with humidity control and Ion cleanser. (Living room)

Daikin with Ion cleanser. (Dog area)

I recommend the Sharp ones as they both have cleanable filters whereas the Daikin one uses a disposable paper/ cloth type. They also have lights on the front showing green when air quality is good and amber and red when air quality is bad. 

You can smell that the air is clean if you put your face in front of the outlet when they're running and especially clean after they've just been cleaned out. 

16 minutes ago, tranquilogringo said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/32-i338736932-s656468629.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-294682000766!c!294682000766!656468629!120204106&gclid=CjwKCAiAnIT9BRAmEiwANaoE1ZtndQzE5S3GiJXAWO-thFXLDoE4E_sE36CwW0P1Fs1gaNA3wlBs2hoCFYoQAvD_BwE

I've done a lot of research on air purifiers. I recommend the above link unit. It's cheap and the replacement filters are cheap too. It works just as good as much more expensive units. I have three of them. This unit is made in China and is rebranded by many different marketers. I have units sold by XPX and Worldtech. They are all exactly the same unit. The filters need to be changed/cleaned every six months or so (depending on usage). Also, I cover the air intake slots on the unit with PMI 2.5 Filtrete strips. Works great and helps keep the interior filters cleaner for longer.

Those aren't big enough at 32sqm. The OP needs 40sqm. 

16 minutes ago, tranquilogringo said:

I'm familiar with that model, as I bought one recently in Thailand. But you REALLY have to be careful before buying it, for a couple reasons.

1. the marketing info by the China manufacturer on this purifier is very misleading. It claims to be a HEPA air purifier, but the standard filter that gets included is actually not a True HEPA filter, and won't filter the 99.97% of particles that a true HEPA filter will.  The unit typically comes with what's called an H10 filter instead of an H13 version, which would be closer to True HEPA.

2. AFAICT, the online sellers in Thailand and even some of the store retailers don't have replacement filters available for sale. I had to deal with a 3rd party supplier in China who custom made and shipped an order of True HEPA filters for me sized to fit this unit.

This model is cheap, but there's a reason for that. It likely won't do what you need it to do with the standard filter it comes equipped with. And trying to get replacement filters and an actual True HEPA filter for these units is quite a chore.

'

I like the Hatari brand, which is Thai..their fans are a good standard, here, no import taxes, and most importantly the filters are readily available and about half price of the others.

I can't do it in my current condo, but the last one I put in a ceiling fan, and that seemed to be a great compliment to the a/c and seemed to keep the air fresher, and would collect a good amount of dust that was easily removable with a dust cloth.  A good ceiling fan has a good slow speed.

Edited by moontang

11 minutes ago, misterphil said:

We have 3 in our house. 

Sharp with mosquito and Ion cleanser. (Bedroom)

Sharp with humidity control and Ion cleanser. (Living room)

Daikin with Ion cleanser. (Dog area)

I recommend the Sharp ones as they both have cleanable filters whereas the Daikin one uses a disposable paper/ cloth type. They also have lights on the front showing green when air quality is good and amber and red when air quality is bad. 

You can smell that the air is clean if you put your face in front of the outlet when they're running and especially clean after they've just been cleaned out. 

As explained above, people need to be careful about buying any HEPA air purifier with ionizing functions. Because, ionizer units have the potential to produce ozone, and that itself is a pollutant that is irritating to the lungs and generally bad for you.

The Sharp units (I own one) have a technology they call Plasmacluster that supposedly doesn't produce much or any ozone when you have the ionizing function turned on. I found some research to support that claim, but not much or enough to make me feel especially comfortable.

In my case, I use the unit strictly as a HEPA air purifier and leave the Plasmacluster ionizing feature turned off. Fortunately, the Sharp units do have a control switch that allows you to turn on/off the ionizing function separate from the HEPA purifier function.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, moontang said:

I like the safari brand, which is Thai..there fans are a good standard, here, no import taxes, and most importantly the filters are readily available and about half price of the others.

See my post above re air purifier filters. There are different grades/qualities of so-called HEPA filters, meaning different kinds are better or worse at actually filtering out the bad stuff you don't want to breath.

The preferred kind are known as True HEPA filters, or H14 level filters, that are capable of filtering out 99.97% of particles down to the size of 0.3 microns. Lesser quality so-called HEPA filters may be speced to filter only say about 95% of those particles in the air.

If the filters are cheap or inexpensive relative to others, there may be a good reason for that.

Screenshot_2.jpg.00647060eac7a12da45740e81a597df7.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEPA

Some of the Chinese brands and sellers will claim they are HEPA air purifiers and HEPA filters, but in reality they're selling products that come with the E10-12 filters, which aren't really true HEPA, and sometimes not even close.  Truth in advertising is not exactly their strong suit.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I have a Sharp FP-F30TA-A and I find it works real good.It also has a low speed for sleeping. I got this air purifier in the burn off season but I use it every night now. It also has a Hepa filter which is the best.

I have one of these units, and it works pretty well. It's reasonably priced, usually around 3000 baht or so, but is sized/meant for a smaller space like about 20 sq. mt.

The replacement HEPA filters aren't easy to find, and Sharp TH doesn't sell them directly. But they do have a 3rd party retailer in BKK that does/did sell them, when they have them in stock, usually for about 1300b, last time I checked.

@lopburi3 had a good post earlier with good info and recommendations.

When buying a HEPA air purifier in Thailand, you want to focus on a couple of things.

1. identify the room or living area size you want to clean in terms of sq. meters, and size your purifier purchase to match that size. Each purifier model will typically have info in its specs on what cleaning capacity it has in terms of square meters.

2. try to get a unit that comes with a True HEPA filter capable of filtering particles at the level of 99.97% efficiency down to 0.3 microns. Units that just say they are HEPA purifiers or have HEPA filters alone may not be giving you the cleaning you should expect. And, make sure whatever unit you buy, you identify in advance a reliable source for where you can obtain replacement filters for the future.

As mentioned above, the Xiaomi 3 series purifiers and the Hatari purifier have quality filters that are readily available online. Sharp is OK also, assuming their 3rd party HEPA filter re-seller is still in business in Bangkok.  I can't speak as much to the other local retail brands, such as Phillips.

The imported and even some TH units sold in department stores like Central are, IMHO, ridiculously overpriced for what they do with prices like 30K to 50K or more for a HEPA air purifier. There's really no need or reason to be paying those kinds of prices.

3. Lastly, along with buying a purifier, you can do things to help whatever unit you buy work better and more effectively by weather-sealing all the door and window frames/spaces around the room/living area where you'll be using the purifier.

You can buy stick-on strips that go around door and window frames at local stores here and those are easily self-installed to provide a tight seal. Doing so will help keep polluted air outside from seeping into your living area, and make it easier for your purifier to keep a good standard of air quality indoors.

• Like 2

Xiaomi 3C.  Bought 2 from Lazada, but I see they have none in stock now.  Work great.  Use them both in our 80 square meter open sitting-living-kitchen area during the day.  Then, one in each of our two 40 square meter bedrooms during the night.

I see that this model is currently available from Shopee at 3,190Baht.  Be sure you buy the GLOBAL VERSION.  This will allow you to buy the correct replacement filters in future.

We have used our machines for 9 months now and the LED display shows 60% filter life still remaining!  GREAT VALUE and great air quality! 

Edited by LarryLEB
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

To revive this thread.....

The air pollution in Pattaya just will not go away this year and for the first time I looking at air purifiers......

Richard Barrow wrote a thread about them below.....

There are so many choices......For you guys who know alot more about air purifiers than me.....

If you had a small apartment and you wanted to buy just one cheap but good air purifier which one would you buy? Which one has the best value in your opinion.....Preferably priced between 1-2 thousand and for sure not more than 3 thousand......

I think the one that you posted is the cheapest. It probably gets the air cleaned, you can't configure anything though and have to regulate it manually.

If you want one that's a bit more fancy get one from Xiaomi which suits your budget (starting at 2700THB or so for the "2s")

• Like 1

Will advise caution on Chinese plastic fan/plastic equipment (specific to a msq trap in my case).  Fan bearings can overheat if used continuously and in our case caused entire plastic unit to burn and spread flames - which if no person had observed could have been serious.  Many electric things sold here probably should not be.  Cheap may not always be a good option. 

42 minutes ago, AlexXelix said:

Polluted air leads to exacerbation of chronic diseases, frequent headaches, especially acute shortage of pure oxygen is felt by people with asthma. You can solve the problem of polluted air with an air purifier.

Depending on the class of the purifier, it can only retain mechanical impurities, such as dust and animal hair, or have a more powerful purification system and destroy unpleasant odors, pollen, tobacco smoke.

An air purifier for a home is not very large, you can place it in an apartment anywhere. Many models can be wall-mounted, making this option more convenient and compact. Filters in air cleaners are replaceable, the frequency of replacement depends on the type of filter. There are three main types of filters for household air cleaners on the market:

• HEPA filter based on fiberglass,
  • electrostatic, and
  • photocatalytic filters.

The most effective are the photocatalytic filters that destroy harmful substances using ultraviolet radiation.

If you want to add an air-cooling function, you can go for evaporative coolers.

Evap isn't worth a <deleted>, once humidity goes above 40%.