With election looming, U.S. faces record surge of coronavirus cases

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone who votes for a guy who says he has the pandemic under control can't be taken seriously.

US is currently tracking 4th worldwide for number of deaths per 100,000 from Covid. Yesterday new infections were just under 90k for the day - not a good look for Covid management by the wealthiest co

here you are: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ USA 709 deaths per million population, up there with the worst. 3 million active cases, it was 2.5 million only two weeks ago. A

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Most countries that succeeded in controlling the virus adopted strategies that incorporated early detection, testing, contact tracing, social distancing and mask.

That was the vaunted European approach and it has clearly failed. Because there is little to no virus in China, when cases are found, they can now use less draconian measures to control it.

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I think it's pretty clear, and China has shown, that the only way to get a handle on the  virus is a large scale complete lockdown of the population and shutdown of all non-essential economic and social activity for a 2-3 month period. The question is whether there is the political and social will in the America's and Europe to do this...so far there hasn't been and the virus is running unabated.

In Europe there has been and it looks like it will be again.

The US needs a president who cares about the people not just his bank balance to get on top of Covid.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, polpott said:

In Europe there has been and it looks like it will be again.

The US needs a president who cares about the people not just his bank balance to get on top of Covid.

The European lockdowns are only partial, with many exceptions; that's why they failed the first time and will likely again. Not sure what Trump's bank balance has to do with Covid...I'll just put it down to a typical anti-Trump non-sequiter. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
1 minute ago, polpott said:

Not true. Several European countries had complete lockdowns. The UK lockdown wasn't as severe and a bit late but still managed to get deaths down to single figures and new cases below 600/day by early July. It was extremely effective in Europe.

There was pretty good success from the first lockdown but the re-opening afterwards during the Summer was completely insane. I count the lockdown and re-opening as part of a single coronavirus control event. The fact the virus has come roaring back in Europe (and not in Asia) shows their entire virus control efforts to have been ineffective. 

4 minutes ago, polpott said:

The virus came back for 2 reasons, the lockdowns were lifted too soon and too rapidly and the borders were opened up.

That's what I said.

5 minutes ago, polpott said:

Thailand didn't even start to ease the lockdown until they had reached zero cases and zero deaths for over a month. Masks and distancing remain in force and the borders are still closed, hence no resurgence.

That's what I said an effective response looks like.

• Like 1