New car. Red plate question

bbabythai

Purchased a new car and thought I would double check on the process for next 3 months. With the red plate on I dont have the normal rego sticker that one puts on the upper left of the windscreen. Does that normally be issued at the end of the 3 months when switching to the normal plate? I assume insurance is still 100% valid in this case. 

Does the registration and issuance of the plate in 3 months have to be done at the province where I live or can it be done in bkk?

Finally, why doesn't Thailand have personalized number plates?

thanks

The red plates are their psudo fantasy excuse for pers' plates... that's whey you see them trying to keep them on for longer than allowed... for it gives some sort of ego boost to display they have a new car. 

Check up on your Local Restrictions to distance-from-home travel allowances, and night time red pate driving curfews 

Where did you get "3 months" from? You should get a permanent license plate in less than a month. I just bought a new Mazda CX30 and got a new plate in 2 weeks. 

The red plate is issued by the dealer where you buy the car and should come with a registration book. The new plate comes to the dealer and you turn your red plate and book when the dealer puts on your permanent plate.

You can get personalized plates in Thailand but they are EXPENSIVE.

You get the tax sticker (together with the white plates) when the dealer registers the car. The dealers try to delay this as long as possible, because before they can register the vehicle they have to pay the head office for it. You can be fined for using red plates for more than 30 days.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

Where did you get "3 months" from? You should get a permanent license plate in less than a month. I just bought a new Mazda CX30 and got a new plate in 2 weeks. 

The red plate is issued by the dealer where you buy the car and should come with a registration book. The new plate comes to the dealer and you turn your red plate and book when the dealer puts on your permanent plate.

You can get personalized plates in Thailand but they are EXPENSIVE.

Our personalised plates cost 2000b 

You can go to the DLT yourself and ‘choose your own number’ if you wish... 

On one of the DLT websites you can see which numbers they will release on which day - you can then turn up on said day and book a number you like (the website is in Thai)

https://reserve.dlt.go.th/reserve/

Thats as close to personalised plates as you can get without paying through the nose. 

This method also ensures you can get your white plates within a couple of weeks without faffing about with red plates. 

(I recently did this for both my motorcycle and car).

-----

Fancier plates include ‘pretty number patters’ ปป 2222, ปป 8888, ปป 5555 etc... (2 Thai letters before the number), you can also get smaller numbers such as ปป 555 or ปป 111 or even ปป 22 etc... but these will cost, often millions of baht. 

• Like 1