Hedge question

I have an  overgrown ficus hedge on one side of my property. I need to have this cut down to a managable height,  the road on this side

has a considerable slope. the gardener  wants to cut it so that it conforms to the slope, my better half wants  it cut level which means

it would be 2 meters at one end tapering down to about 50cm at the other. Any advice would be appreciated. I wonder what is common

practice in this situation?

10 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

Same height all the way ie conform to the slope (imo).

2m at one end and 0.5 m at the other would look silly (again imo) as you could step over one end.

I agree.

• Like 1

There is a house in this village which has a sloping lot. The top of the front wall is level with the horizon but it rises as needed in steps from the lower end of the lot to the upper. You could say that on average the wall is two meters tall. It looks right, whereas a tilting wall would look drunk.

In front of the wall is a hedge of bougainvillea. The hedge could have been trimmed to stay in line with the height of each of the wall sections, but instead they chose to trim it to equal height from end to end. The hedge conforms to the slope at a uniform 1.5 meters tall.

These two different choices work well together. The straight line of the hedge smooths the stepped line of the wall. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2020 at 10:53 AM, sticky said:

I have an  overgrown ficus hedge on one side of my property. I need to have this cut down to a managable height,  the road on this side

has a considerable slope. the gardener  wants to cut it so that it conforms to the slope, my better half wants  it cut level which means

it would be 2 meters at one end tapering down to about 50cm at the other. Any advice would be appreciated. I wonder what is common

practice in this situation?

Start by doing it your way 2m sloping. If your wife complains vociferously you may change it to her way later.

But you can't do it the other way.