Infected foreigners have to pay for everything themselves, doctor assures Thais

rooster59

30 minutes ago, MartinL said:

How about if they've been infected by a Thai national while in Thailand, e.g. a foreigner that hasn't been outside Thailand for, say, 2 years?

This.

I'm surprised we got to the 2nd page before this was mentioned. It's not only about the few incoming tourists who will all have the $100,000 Covid insurance. What about all of us who have been here for longer than than Covid emerged? After the Thais have become so desperate for tourist income that they loosen restrictions sufficiently to have 1,000's of foreign tourists wandering about.. That's when it gets dicey.

I bought the internal Thai insurance coverage of Baht 100,000 000 (medical costs), 1,000,000 (Death) at a cost of less than 1,000/year but that will go very quickly in isolation at a private hospital.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, robblok said:

I dont feel its offensive, just making sure that Thais dont see the foreigners as a burden. If i read the UK thread how many from the UK are angry if someone gets helped in their system and does not pay. Why would it be different for Thais better to make it clear that they would not burden the Thai healthcare. Stops the spread of rumors. 

UK living rent free in your head , obsessed...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

UK living rent free in your head , obsessed...

Not really sure what you mean, but there have been a number of posts on Thaivisa of people from the UK complaining that foreigners don't have to pay for healthcare in their country (I am not sure this is true or not true) however it shows that people hold resentment that others who are not native to a country deplete its resources. 

This anger lives in the UK so why is it so strange it is in Thailand too. This minister is just trying to make it clear that this does not happen and thus making sure there is no extra distrust of foreigners.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Those with no symptoms but who tested positive would have to stay in hospital for ten days after their positive test.

This is the controversial bit and it's why only Thai insurance companies are allowed - it's not emergency treatment so no insurance company in the world would approve a payment for it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I dont feel its offensive, just making sure that Thais dont see the foreigners as a burden. If i read the UK thread how many from the UK are angry if someone gets helped in their system and does not pay. Why would it be different for Thais better to make it clear that they would not burden the Thai healthcare. Stops the spread of rumors. 

Because that is not the way public health policy works. The goal is to stop the infection, not figure out a way to gouge certain nationalities. That is how it is treated in the U.S. with regards to TB and other diseases. I don't know about COVID because I haven't been there in a decade, but I do know there is a law in the US that requires hospitals to accept patients for emergency treatment even if they cannot pay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Infected foreigners have to pay for everything themselves - Probably to a much higher price than any Thai have to pay. 

Cannot go to a country's hospital? Even if paying the full price for every treatments, no only private hospital?

• Sad 1