Infected foreigners have to pay for everything themselves, doctor assures Thais

rooster59

12 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Thai public hospitals can now legally charge foreign nationals higher rates for services under new regulations

Well I don't at my three monthly public hospital clinic appointment I just pay the same I always have. 

41 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Thai public hospitals can now legally charge foreign nationals higher rates for services under new regulations

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

How long until all foreigners in-country have to go and get tested?

This thread is a dog whistle to the paranoid delusionists - those who love to write ‘they don’t want us here’ etc... 

Incoming foreigners all need to have Insurance. 

Existing foreigners in Thailand should have already had insurance (I know difficult for some).

Those foreigners registered here (tabien baan) can also register at a public hospital for treatment.

No one is being treated unfairly - but there are a few idiotic public figures making outrageous ‘Anutinesque’ announcements which are highly clumsy and come across xenophobic - a prefect call to arms for many ThaiVisa posters to go hyperbolic !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Susco said:

Morgue?

Joke aside, aren't they supposed to have that 100k US$ covid insurance?

You honestly think that the majority of foreigners in Thaliand now that have been there since March and the lockdown started will have covid insurance ....seriously ?

Also a lot of the expats on visa extensions wont have covid insurance as they wont bother.

Unless the Thais start clamping donw and insisting on proof of insurance when they are giving extension stamps.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, stretch5163 said:

You honestly think that the majority of foreigners in Thaliand now that have been there since March and the lockdown started will have covid insurance ....seriously ?

Also a lot of the expats on visa extensions wont have covid insurance as they wont bother.

Unless the Thais start clamping donw and insisting on proof of insurance when they are giving extension stamps.

Maybe try to read the OP again

A doctor at the infectious disease department said that any foreigner found to be infected with Covid-19 while in alternative state quarantine would be taken to a partner hospital in the private sector. 

If you are in state quarantine means you just entered the country, and you can't enter without that insurance

• Like 1

You can't assume that because you are insured that they will pay up, take the father and son of the "French" woman for example, forced into quarantine in a hospital (probably for 10 days) but having tested negative. An insurance policy that covers you being infected will NOT pay up for you being incarcerated when NOT infected. The good doctor could have just said all foreigners will pay, pay, pay he didn't have to stipulate what it was for, bless him...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stretch5163 said:

The topic of medical insurance has come up a few times with my friends who live here.

Most do have medical insurance (age range 30-50 yrs old) - I don’t know many people older than that. 

With the exception of a couple of my early years when I was young and stupid (22-24 yrs old), I have always had medical insurance in Thailand.

Obviously it's a very difficult subject as some simply cannot get insurance because of there age. 

Its not a black and white subject - but I certainly understand the government wanting to ensure foreigners have insurance cover - its been a hot topic for a long time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

I dont feel its offensive, just making sure that Thais dont see the foreigners as a burden. If i read the UK thread how many from the UK are angry if someone gets helped in their system and does not pay. Why would it be different for Thais better to make it clear that they would not burden the Thai healthcare. Stops the spread of rumors. 

Many, many foreigners get free treatment in UK hospitals and the reasons are twofold, for one the NHS won't turn people away based on nationality as it is against their principles and two, the NHS is an admin nightmare whereby they are just so incompetent that they can't charge back to countries with which we have reciprocal agreements, never mind to those that we don't. However I don't see massive anger, riots in the streets or protests about this and perhaps people are a little more generous minded than you think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Well I don't at my three monthly public hospital clinic appointment I just pay the same I always have. 

1 hour ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

There was a document posted on this form some time ago  listing the different prices   see attached PDF

hospital dual price.pdf

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, johng said:

There was a document posted on this form some time ago  listing the different prices   see attached PDF

hospital dual price.pdf 3.18 MB · 0 downloads

500 baht for a foreigner to visit a national park, 20 baht for a whole truckload of Thais. 

I'm afraid the the new normal will be worse than the old normal. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

This thread is a dog whistle to the paranoid delusionists - those who love to write ‘they don’t want us here’ etc... 

Incoming foreigners all need to have Insurance. 

Existing foreigners in Thailand should have already had insurance (I know difficult for some).

Those foreigners registered here (tabien baan) can also register at a public hospital for treatment.

No one is being treated unfairly - but there are a few idiotic public figures making outrageous ‘Anutinesque’ announcements which are highly clumsy and come across xenophobic - a prefect call to arms for many ThaiVisa posters to go hyperbolic !

Yeah.........any excuse.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Dr Opas Karnkawinpong said that they would have to pay for everything themselves. They won't be a burden on the Thai health system, he assured Thais.

And if they contracted Covid while banged up in a Thai quarantine facility what then?

4 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

You understand now, why I left Thailand in 2006 ?

As farang you are good for only one thing: PAY !

I take it that wherever you are residing now, everything is free, and no taxes to pay either

• Like 1