New Normal for Loy Krathong events

rooster59

New Normal for Loy Krathong events

By The Phuket News

1604116109_1-org.jpg

Photo: CCSA

PHUKET: Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Governor Yuthasak Supasorn has confirmed that all Loy Krathong events taking place this evening (Oct 31) must adhere to New Normal measures.

Loi Krathong is one of the Kingdom’s most impressive cultural events, which has been held annually on the full moon night of the 12th lunar month as a way of thanking the Goddess of the River, worshipping the Buddha, and releasing worries and bad fortune into the water.

“This year, the Loi Krathong celebrations will be held in line with the Ministry of Public Health’s COVID-19 control measures and the Amazing Thailand Safety and Health Administration (SHA) standard to ensure visitor confidence,” Governor Yuthasak explained during the Loi Krathong Celebrations 2020 press conference held in Bangkok on Oct 19.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/new-normal-for-loy-krathong-events-77823.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-10-31

5 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Tradition is dying in Thailand, as apathy and disillusion set in ????  Only several years ago one could see tens of thousands of elaborately dressed Thais doing their thing along Beach Road and other places in Pattaya. Last year I saw two people ????

Tradition has gone back to the villages.  Places like Pattaya and Phuket are aberrations.  Thai culture is still alive and well.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Tradition is dying in Thailand, as apathy and disillusion set in ????  Only several years ago one could see tens of thousands of elaborately dressed Thais doing their thing along Beach Road and other places in Pattaya. Last year I saw two people ????

I was in Patong last year and it was crowded. Because the sea was  rough we went later on to Kathu where we dropped our kratong in the water and it was crowded too and very amusing.

17 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Last year was a disaster this year it will be the new normal disaster ???? 

Good Loy Krathong this year.

Was at nai harm lake, quite busy, met many friends and we all had a good time. Temperature check at entrance, received a sticker for that. All Thai wearing masks, most foreigners as well but of course some think they don't have to follow the rules.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Was at nai harm lake, quite busy, met many friends and we all had a good time. Temperature check at entrance, received a sticker for that. All Thai wearing masks, most foreigners as well but of course some think they don't have to follow the rules.

I was surprised at how many foreigners were there last night.

The new normal at Karon Lagoon was a group of Burmese, wading in the pond tearing the krathongs apart looking for coins. They could at least have waited until the event was over but it demonstrates the desperation for cash.

I went in at the far side of the lake, where there were no temperature checks and hand sanitizer last night. The maket was there all week and was almost dead most nights. I'm pleased for the vendors that they had a good final evening.

Edited by madmitch
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, madmitch said:

The new normal at Karon Lagoon was a group of Burmese, wading in the pond tearing the krathongs apart looking for coins. They could at least have waited until the event was over but it demonstrates the desperation for cash.

I went in at the far side of the lake, where there were no temperature checks and hand sanitizer last night. The maket was there all week and was almost dead most nights. I'm pleased for the vendors that they had a good final evening.

Here in Ayutthaya it was business as usual, we avoided the larger more popular Wats and took our offerings to a smaller place. Could tell from the traffic as soon as the sun set that the Loy Krathong tradition was alive and well here.

But yes, we also had small boats on the river pillaging the offerings ...... hope my 2 x 1 baht coins were worth the effort !!

23 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, it was a nice turnout, although I must have been there at a different time than you as I saw maybe 15% of the people wearing masks over their mouth and nose.  There might have been 25% total wearing masks, but a lot of below the chin wearing.

Loy Kratong.jpeg