Outlook message - unusual sign in activity

userabcd

I opened my outlook email on the 29th Oct from Bangkok and got a message from Microsoft "unusual sign in activity detected"

Checked my account security and noticed and read the message and map pointer that the sign in was from:

Country/region: Hong Kong SAR
IP address: 40.126.12.227

Date: 10/29/2020 5:57 PM

Are the Chinese govt or some hacker from that region spying on me?

I have since changed my passwords twice and reported the suspicious sign in to Microsoft.

26 minutes ago, userabcd said:

I opened my outlook email on the 29th Oct from Bangkok and got a message from Microsoft "unusual sign in activity detected"

Checked my account security and noticed and read the message and map pointer that the sign in was from:

Country/region: Hong Kong SAR
IP address: 40.126.12.227

Date: 10/29/2020 5:57 PM

Are the Chinese govt or some hacker from that region spying on me?

I have since changed my passwords twice and reported the suspicious sign in to Microsoft.

do you a VPN.... I just realized @Pib already cover what I was going to write, it happens to me only when what Pib said occurs

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Was it an actual successful sign-in or just an attempted sign in?

Either way you did the right thing by changing your password.

Thanks, I dont know if it was attempted or they accessed. I was  logged on and looking through my emails when the message appeared. Not had any problem since I changed my passwords.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, I think the change of password will keep them away.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Assuming you mean a login actually occurred vs MS blocking it, if you were using a VPN connection maybe your VPN connection didn't connect to the city/country is suppose to....connected to another city/country and MS flagged that as suspicious.   Or if using a VPN connection your VPN provider switched to a different VPN server IP address at the correct location but MS still sees that as suspicious.   These type of issues can occur with VPN providers....and more so with lower cost VPN providers as they are more susceptible to a server being overloaded and the VPN provider just directing the connection to another city.

Sorry, I do not use a vpn.

29 minutes ago, uncleP said:

These things are generally phishing and trying to get you to sign into your account on a fake site. Check the message source to see the real origins of emails. I often get them allegedly from places I have no account or paypal when I know for a fact it is working fine. NEVER FOLLOW LINKS IN THE E-MAIL TO CHECK YOUR ACCOUNTS: ALWAYS GO DIRECT FROM A WEB BROWSER.

Thanks.

About 3 or 4 times a week I get an email telling me my paypal account has been suspended due to suspicious activity. Labelling them as spam does not stop them coming, so now I just delete them. 

• Like 1

hotmail/outlook has literally gazillions of subscribers.  odds are your email and some dude's email in hongkong (or elsewhere if he's using a vpn) are similar. 

hotmail switched their login from email and password on same page, to being on separate pages, easy to overlook the email address if the message says password is incorrect.  i'd suspect hongkong guy may have tried the wrong password more than once.

27 minutes ago, anterian said:

About 3 or 4 times a week I get an email telling me my paypal account has been suspended due to suspicious activity. Labelling them as spam does not stop them coming, so now I just delete them. 

I get tons of this ****.

Amazon. - I dont have an account with A

Hello lexx,

Due to a system error, you are charged back for your last order. The refund process has been ongoing but could not be completed due to an error in your payment information.

#REFF-CODE : FLO666-6345560845

You are required to provide invalid billing information in order to complete the refund process.

After your data has been validated, you will receive a refund within 1 business day.

We appreciate your patience with our security measures.
Thank you for your concern.

Best regards,

Amazon Services-Team

HM courts - I dont drive or own a car

Total cost:
£23.24

For the following: the use of a vehicle on a road in the charging area which a charging scheme applies without payment of the appropriate charge, at the date  and timestarted below

Date: 18.10.2020

Time: 16:21 PM

If you do not respond before the end of the period of 28 days beginning with the date of service of this notice a charge certificate may be issued which would increase the penalty charge to £80.96 GBP.

Failure to then pay the increased penalty charge may result in the outstanding balance being registered as a debt in the County Court

You have 14 days beginning with the date of service of this notice to pay the discounted penalty charge of £23.24. if this is not paid by 05/11/2020 then the full penalty charge of £46.48 is payable.

Penalty Charge Notice Number:

YYJ18488219911

Automated payment reference:

How to pay your Penalty Charge

To pay by Credit or Debit Card

1. Click here to pay by card online & click on Pay a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).

This is the quickest and easiest way to pay and receive a receipt as your payment is immediately credited to Charge Notice

Contact Centre

1.Telephone 0343 222 3331 (temporarily unavailable)

And the usual even more *******
Hello Dear,

I am Mr.Suleman Mohammed and I work with UNITED BANK OF AFRICA. Please Can you use ATM Visa card to withdraw money at ATM cash machine in your country? I want to transfer money to you from my country; it’s part of money taken by some old politician that was forced out of power.

I will change the account details to yours, and apply for a visa card with your details in our bank, they will send the visa card to you and you will be withdrawing money with it and always send my own percentage of the money, and the money we are talking about is $6.5Million us dollars.

Whatever amount you withdraw daily, you will send 50% to me and you will take 50%, the visa card and the bank account will be on your name, I will be waiting for your information as soon as possible.
Your name.......................... .................

Age........................... ......................

Sex........................... ......................

Country....................... ......................

Occupation.................... ......................

Phone number........................ ................

Best Regards.

Mr.Suleman Mohammed

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Were you using the identical or a similar password at multiple websites?

No, have one password for outlook and a different password for yahoo mail.

Different passwords contain letters, capitals, numbers and symbols.

Edited by userabcd

39 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

hotmail/outlook has literally gazillions of subscribers.  odds are your email and some dude's email in hongkong (or elsewhere if he's using a vpn) are similar. 

hotmail switched their login from email and password on same page, to being on separate pages, easy to overlook the email address if the message says password is incorrect.  i'd suspect hongkong guy may have tried the wrong password more than once.

I was signed in to outlook email and I am in Bangkok. The Microsoft message was stating that I signed in from Hong Kong SAR.

Could be what you state, anyway no big deal, all seems to be back to normal since I changed my passwords.

3 hours ago, userabcd said:

Thanks, I dont know if it was attempted or they accessed. I was  logged on and looking through my emails when the message appeared. Not had any problem since I changed my passwords.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, I think the change of password will keep them away.

always better safe then sorry, well done by changing password

I worked at a place that had it's entire network mucked up via a piece of nastiness that arrived via email and activated in Outlook.  This was a while ago, and I learned back then these things via Outlook were common.  I still think of  Outlook as a weak a spot and will not go near.  And anyway even though I use Windows I have no MS Office stuff installed.

I was signed in to outlook email and I am in Bangkok. The Microsoft message was stating that I signed in from Hong Kong SAR.

Are you sure the email was really from MS?  As has been said above, fake messages are common for phishing.  I regularly get email from "Facebook" telling that I need to log in to my account for some reason -- I do not have a FB account.

On 10/31/2020 at 6:34 AM, userabcd said:

"unusual sign in activity detected"

This means that someone tried to log into your account, but not that it was actually successful.

You should add your phone number to your account for 2 factor authentication. It makes it impossible to login on a new device without receiving a text message.

• Like 2