Extremely slow post from UK to Thailand.

OneeyedJohn

I had same problem with a time sensitive air mail letter taking just over 2 months to get to me. My reply sent by airmail registered at a cost of 120 baht was posted on a Monday and delivered in the UK on the Friday. Can't complain about that. An airmail parcel posted at the same time which I was warned could take a considerable time due to shortage of flights arrived in 8 days

Had numerous letters from the UK in the last few months and all have taken around 4 weeks to get here (Hua Hin). Thailand to the UK by air mail is much quicker. Recent letters have take 10-14 days. Use standard registered post which is not expensive for normal letters and use the online tracking number to track to the UK destination to confirm delivery. Works very well.

Lots of posters doing answers for Thailand to the UK.. not as was posted.. I have had to send important documents to Thailand recently and currently one in transit . UK local Post office could not give me precise details and pointed to the fact that many commercial flights were not happening and other sources were being used. I have used courier and use parcel compare to route them. Usually around £18 per time.. takes about 4 days and full tracking . Hope that helps

On 10/31/2020 at 6:05 AM, OneeyedJohn said:

I have now received letters from the UK some 3 months after they were posted, the second occurrence yesterday.

Annoyingly both times they contained letters that required a reply within a certain timeframe. The first time it didn't matter too much but this second time is slightly more important.

Date on letter 8th August 2020, received yesterday.

How do I know if when I reply that the same thing won't happen.

It is all very well the post office saying it will take two weeks to get to UK.

The letters probably did a months quarantine then failed the covid test at the end and have been in hospital recovering for 2 months. You will receive the bill quite soon...555.

• Haha 1

I also had one sent from the UK on the 8th.August. This was from the Pension people wanting to know I was still alive. It took one month to get here in Bangkok. Filled in the enclosed form and sent it back via registered mail. It cost 102 baht and arrived in the UK after 14 days.

For stories from the past: don't forget that there was a significant period where "normal" post was indeed not working (no normal airmail). Only EMS/courier. It was varying/depending on country.

US was blocked for long.

Should be over since "months" (can't tell exactly).

You can follow the history starting from April in the thread of @CharlieH   :

(April, May, June, July, August)

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1064881-thai-post-office-customs-information-2020/?do=findComment&comment=15238161

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 10/31/2020 at 1:05 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

I have now received letters from the UK some 3 months after they were posted, the second occurrence yesterday.

Annoyingly both times they contained letters that required a reply within a certain timeframe. The first time it didn't matter too much but this second time is slightly more important.

Send it by registered mail

I have now received letters from the UK some 3 months after they were posted, the second occurrence yesterday

Most post I receive from UK arrives 2-3 weeks from post date.... except around Xmas New Year time, I've had Xmas cards posted in November arriving January, all bunched together, so I suspect that's something to do with the post office this end.

To send a single letter [one A4 sheet] to UK I was quoted 700 baht for track/recorded delivery.
most charges by snail mail are 60 baht.

On 10/31/2020 at 2:06 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

I wouldn't call Chiang Rai , where I live in the sticks, so what is going on.

I have a friend who sent me something from the UK by priority mail or something that can be tracked arrived last week just over week I live about half way between you and Chiang Mai.

Same with Mail from Australia while this Covid thing is happening if you want it quicker you have to pay more.

Dont forget with the reduced number of flights I would expect delays.

Not joking but, if it is that important can't you do it by email?? Another option I used frequently for important papers is DHL.. At least you can track your parcel or letter. Registered Thai mail does NOT offer this option. Tracking is limited to Th i.e. once at the airport the tracking finishes....

Wanted to order something on Ebay today. But delivery to Thailand would be next year. Can this really be? 

GBP 2.99 (approx. THB120.54) Standard Shipping | See details

Item location:
Horsham, United Kingdom

Delivery:
Estimated between Tue. Jan. 12 and Mon. Feb. 8

21 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Not joking but, if it is that important can't you do it by email?? Another option I used frequently for important papers is DHL.. At least you can track your parcel or letter. Registered Thai mail does NOT offer this option. Tracking is limited to Th i.e. once at the airport the tracking finishes....

Not strictly correct.  Yes, the Thailand Post tracking stops once the item has cleared customs at Suvarnabhumi but it should be possible to track it again using the tracking facility provided by the destination country.  For the UK, this would be Parcel Force for EMS or Post Office Ltd for Registered Mail.  There is also an international tracking facility - trackitonline.ru - that works pretty well.  Russian site though so use at your own risk. 

By the way, it is quite usual for items to fall off the radar once they have cleared customs at Suvarnabhumi - usually waiting for a flight out - but the item will reappear at some stage - sometimes after several days.

The other problem, for mail destined to the UK. is the black hole of Langley - Heathrow Mail Centre.  Items can take a while to get through there.

1 hour ago, jomtienisgood said:

My god, can't u read, if I could reply by email don't u think I would, otherwise why would I make a thread about it.

Jeez, some people.

The problem as I stated originally is if something is taking nearly 3 months to come from the UK, how do I know how long my reply will take to arrive.

That is my concern, and I have no confidence that spending £20 on a letter that weighs less that 10 grams is going to achieve anything.

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

Wanted to order something on Ebay today. But delivery to Thailand would be next year. Can this really be? 

GBP 2.99 (approx. THB120.54) Standard Shipping | See details

Item location:
Horsham, United Kingdom

Delivery:
Estimated between Tue. Jan. 12 and Mon. Feb. 8

Christ Almighty, what was it, a mobile home???

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, doctormann said:

Not strictly correct.  Yes, the Thailand Post tracking stops once the item has cleared customs at Suvarnabhumi but it should be possible to track it again using the tracking facility provided by the destination country.  For the UK, this would be Parcel Force for EMS or Post Office Ltd for Registered Mail.  There is also an international tracking facility - trackitonline.ru - that works pretty well.  Russian site though so use at your own risk. 

By the way, it is quite usual for items to fall off the radar once they have cleared customs at Suvarnabhumi - usually waiting for a flight out - but the item will reappear at some stage - sometimes after several days.

The other problem, for mail destined to the UK. is the black hole of Langley - Heathrow Mail Centre.  Items can take a while to get through there.

Yes everything you say is correct. I always heard Langley was CIA & NSI. 5555555 LOL

Tracked mail from Thailand CAN be tracked to a UK destination using Thailand Post EMS Track & Trace - see Thailand Post attachment. This particular letter was sent 'lohng tabien' -  which is a step down from EMS - at 116฿ for a 26g. letter of three A4 sheets, posted on 25/9, delivered to HMRC on 7/10 - 13 days inc. weekends.

Royal Mail T&T also shows the whole journey - see Royal Mail attachment - although RM will show "This item is now leaving the originating country. More information will be available when it arrives in the UK", after which it shows the letter's progress.

So two means of tracking the same letter.

I've sent a few letters to UK recently, 'lohng tabien', and they've all been easily trackable and arrived in 2-3 weeks. 

Track And Trace _ EMS _ Thailand Post.pdf Track and Trace - Track your Item _ Royal Mail Ltd.pdf

Edited by MartinL