Non O - A Visa

eljuwa

Greetings Thai visa members

In December 2019, I posted a similar request. Here I am with a new request on the same topic

I have a Non O - A visa with an expiry date of 28th December 2020. I have the required health insurance as mandated by Thai Immigration. I have one year of income stats coming from USA to a Thai bank. More than the required 65,000 baht per month. These are International wire transfers

My queries are:

1. Are there any advantages from changing O - A to a Non Imm. O visa. As stated earlier, I already have the health insurance.

2. If you suggest that I stay with the O - A visa, what are the forms required to perform this..Could I download the forms on line. Without going to the Chiang Mai Immigration to pick up the forms

3. When can I do this..my expiry date is 28 December 2020

I hope that the aforementioned is clearly stated by me.

Thanks in advance

Respectfully

James

1.  If you have Health Insurance and can renew the policy in the future then I do not see an advantage to change to an Non O(others will disagree).

2.  TM -7 and probably an updated TM-30.  Proof of International Transfers for the 65,000 or Baht coming into the country. Just use the “Google” to find the forms.

3.  For CNX I have extended up to 45 days before my expiration date(don’t know if this is still true or not).  

what expires on the 28th December. the actual visa you obtained in another country, or the permission to stay stamp you got at a border on your last entry, or is it an extension you got at local immigration, that you are calling a 'O' 'A' visa

The permission to stay in Thailand was extended to 28 December. 

I got the O A visa in another country in June 2019. Good until June 2020.  I left Thailand in December 2019. I re-entered Thailand in December 2019. At the Bangkok suvarnabhumi, the visa was extended to December 28 2020

So now my visa expiration is  28 December 2020. That is the date that I am dealing with. Thanks

36 minutes ago, eljuwa said:

The permission to stay in Thailand was extended to 28 December. 

I got the O A visa in another country in June 2019. Good until June 2020.  I left Thailand in December 2019. I re-entered Thailand in December 2019. At the Bangkok suvarnabhumi, the visa was extended to December 28 2020

So now my visa expiration is  28 December 2020. That is the date that I am dealing with. Thanks

its your extension that expires on 28th December not your visa that expired on June 2020, its the terminology that can lead to confusion

your extension is based on a Non imm 'O''A' visa, that can not be changed to a non imm 'O' visa without leaving the country and re-entering

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an O with a 12 month extension expiring in Feb 2021.

I’m stuck in Australia.

The Embassy here tells me and others that the 0 is no longer accepted for entry...

And now we retirees have to apply for an O-A to get back.

Just FYI..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, eljuwa said:

I am totally confused

I will visit Chiang Mai Immigration soon

Let the chips fall where they may

Thanks for your help

Cheers

I will need to find out for myself

I am literally in the exact same place you are as far as time of visa and all that for my OA visa, I used an agent. Cost was 13,000bht for extension, 3,000bht for ins and 1,000 for single entry total was 17,000hbht..... I went to immigration to have pic taken for like 2 minutes. 

This was my first extension and using an agent was so stress free.

2 hours ago, Upnotover said:

It appears he hasn't has an extension at all yet, it is the permission to stay that expires 28/12.  

yes your correct, i missed that, its all this calling an entry stamp an extension of the visa

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I am literally in the exact same place you are as far as time of visa and all that for my OA visa, I used an agent. Cost was 13,000bht for extension, 3,000bht for ins and 1,000 for single entry total was 17,000hbht..... I went to immigration to have pic taken for like 2 minutes. 

This was my first extension and using an agent was so stress free.

Yearly O retirement visa has no insurance requirements. I paid 1900 baht and think that agents are for dummies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, eljuwa said:

I am totally confused

Thanks for your help

Cheers

2 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Yearly O retirement visa has no insurance requirements. I paid 1900 baht and think that agents are for dummies.

This is about O-As not Os.   

For people in Thailand who hold an O-A entry permit or extension, obtained before the insurance requirement was introduced, it's not possible to change to an O as that requires travel out of the country and back.

For some, an agent is the only answer as the fee allows you to obtain the unobtainable as if by magic.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

For people in Thailand who hold an O-A entry permit or extension, obtained before the insurance requirement was introduced, it's not possible to change to an O as that requires travel out of the country and back.

For some, an agent is the only answer as the fee allows you to obtain the unobtainable as if by magic.

Earl is my stalker, I don't mind. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

And I think some folks are skint and can't afford the things that make life easier.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, eljuwa said:

I am totally confused

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Don’t be confused!  You’ll apply for an extension of stay based on retirement (I presume unless you’re married to a Thai or have Thai children).  You can apply in Chiangmai up to 45 days prior to your current permission to stay ending.  A quick visit to immigration office near the airport and a talk with the volunteers there or the immigration officers themselves should set you on the right track . They have handouts that will help too!  Just know that the length of your further extension of stay will be based on the expiry date of your current insurance policy. Immigration will want copies of your bank book etc.  the details of exact what they require at the moment can be found out at the immigration office as stated before. Just be calm and you’ll be fine. PM me if you want to 

Your permission to stay based on the original Non Imm O-A Visa on which you (re)entered the country will expire 28 December 2020.

So before that date you need to either exit Thailand, or apply for an extension of stay at your local IO in Chiang-Mai.

The earliest you can apply for a 1-year extension of stay is 45 days before expiry of your permission to stay.  So going to CM IO tomorrow will only be for enquiries as you will not yet be able to extend that permission to stay.

When you apply for the 1-year extension of stay for reason of RETIREMENT based on that original Non Imm O-A Visa you will a.o. need to provide:

1 - evidence that you meet the financial requirements.  In your case that means that you need to show that international transfers of + 65.000 THB were conducted in the TWO months preceding the moment of application (as this is your very first application for the 1-year extension of stay). 

Both the foreign origins of these transfers as well as the source needs to be proven.

Please note that it is possible (hence it is good that you enquire already) that CM IO might not apply the 2-month rule and require that you provide evidence that such transfers have been done in each and every of the 12 months preceding your application,.

2 -  when applying for the 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of RETIREMENT, you will also be required to provide a Certificate of a Thai IO-approved health-insurance policy that is Non Imm O-A compliant.  You wrote that you already have such insurance, but be aware that your 1-year extension of stay will be CAPPED to the expiry-date of that Thai insurance-policy.  So it might be useful to contact your Thai insurer and reschedule the policy period such that it is aligned with your upcoming application in order not to lose part of the 1-year extension you will be applying for.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 2

A wise man once said, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

But what the hell... I have been reading this forum for several years and I confess I still don't know what the "O" stands for and what the "A" stands for.

The last time I went to immigration I asked the agent handling my renewal, and even she didn't know. So, somebody please lend me a hand, the suspense is killing me!

1 hour ago, pjmorton said:

A wise man once said, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

But what the hell... I have been reading this forum for several years and I confess I still don't know what the "O" stands for and what the "A" stands for.

The last time I went to immigration I asked the agent handling my renewal, and even she didn't know. So, somebody please lend me a hand, the suspense is killing me!

A O is from a persons home country via a Thai Embassy. O is completed by Thai Immigration office.

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

One of us can't read so I will add his post for you.

My queries are:

1. Are there any advantages from changing O - A to a Non Imm. O visa. As stated earlier, I already have the health insurance.

My response was:

Yearly O retirement visa has no insurance requirements.

4 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

One of us can't read so I will add his post for you.

My queries are:

My response was:

Yearly O retirement visa has no insurance requirements.

I challenge your implication an agent can work around Thai Immigration regulations.

10 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

> Are there any advantages from changing O - A to a Non Imm. O visa.

The opening post of this new thread on the subject of Non Imm O-A Visa and  mandatory IO-approved health-insurance for that Visa, will provide some answers on that question.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

It is true I am well versed in business management skills and getting value for my dollar spent is important skill I take pride in. You spent 17K I spent 1900 I rest my case.

I spent a total of 2 minutes inside immigration having one pic taken and agent to hand over passport to me. remember this included one re-entry and my Ins for the OA. I take pride in having enough money to make my life more enjoyable.

• Sad 2

Can I ask another question to this thread , to confirm my understanding ;

Taking OP as an example , he has to renew his extension if he wants to stay as there is no other alternatives if he wishes to stay. If he does not get it, he has to leave the country and then return to quarantine  and more insurance coverage  (for COVID 19j) so he really must get the extension . Am I missing anything ?

I think Retirees who has condo, cars , wife /family here really do not need to have pressure like this .

4 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I challenge your implication an agent can work around Thai Immigration regulations.

How would you know if you've never used one ?

My agent doesn't require I fulfill any of the  usual conditions  for an O-A Extension continuation at all.

Challenge away.

And the subject is O-A requirements , not O  !!

Seems your outstanding skills  ( 5555 ) don't include understanding plain English.

5 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

O-A is from a persons home country via a Thai Embassy.

O is completed by Thai Immigration office.

Sorry but false.

Both O-A and O are visas that one can get in a Thai embassy (so outside Thailand).

Main difference is that you may get the O-A only in your home country.

Immigration doesn't deliver visas, but can "change" the type of your visa (or exemption) if you need a O to get a yearly extension.

10 hours ago, Alotoftravel said:

Can I ask another question to this thread , to confirm my understanding ;

Taking OP as an example , he has to renew his extension if he wants to stay as there is no other alternatives if he wishes to stay. If he does not get it, he has to leave the country and then return to quarantine  and more insurance coverage  (for COVID 19j) so he really must get the extension . Am I missing anything ?

I think Retirees who has condo, cars , wife /family here really do not need to have pressure like this .

Your understanding is fully correct. 

When not able to extend your stay you must exit Thailand.  The alternative being to remain here and be on overstay, which is not recommended (to use an understatement).

When exiting you might also not be able to return any time soon with the additional risk that the current already draconian entry-measures are even strengthened further.

When you are not able to meet the current requirements to stay in Thailand it is therefore recommended to contact an Agent to enquire about your options.  Their sometimes hefty fee will only be a fraction of what you will be confronted with when exiting Thailand and trying to return.