Actress Lori Loughlin starts prison term for role in college admissions scandal

rooster59

Actress Lori Loughlin starts prison term for role in college admissions scandal

By Lisa Richwine

2020-10-31T035445Z_1_LYNXMPEG9U033_RTROPTP_4_PEOPLE-LORI-LAUGHLIN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Actor Lori Loughlin, and husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, facing charges in a nationwide college admissions cheating scheme, leave federal court in Boston, Massachusetts, U.S., April 3, 2019. REUTERS/Brian Snyder/File Photo

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "Full House" actress Lori Loughlin began a two-month prison sentence for her role in a vast college admissions fraud scheme to help her daughters gain entry into a top U.S. university, a prison official said on Friday.

Loughlin, 56, reported to a low-security federal correctional institution in Dublin, California, a spokesperson for the prison said by phone.

After initially fighting the charges, Loughlin and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli, pleaded guilty in May to conspiracy to commit wire and mail fraud.

Prosecutors said Loughlin and Giannulli paid $500,000 in bribes to secure spots for their daughters at the University of Southern California (USC) as fake athletic recruits for the school's crew team even though neither rowed competitively.

The celebrity parents were among 56 people charged in a scheme masterminded by consultant William "Rick" Singer, who has admitted to facilitating cheating on college entrance exams and using bribery to secure admission to elite schools.

"Desperate Housewives" star Felicity Huffman served 11 days last year in the same prison that is now housing Loughlin, for her role in the scandal.

In August, Loughlin apologized and said she had acted out of love for her daughters.

"I am truly, profoundly and deeply sorry, and I need to face the consequences and make amends," she said at a court hearing.

Loughlin starred as Aunt Becky in family comedy "Full House," which ran on U.S. television from 1987 to 1995. It was revived by Netflix in 2016 as "Fuller House."

Giannulli was sentenced to five months in prison for his role in the scandal.

(Reporting by Lisa Richwine; Editing by Bill Berkrot)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-10-31

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

I do feel sorry for her because I know if I were put in the same position I would do all in my power to help my child/children. It has been going on for hundreds of years. Very rich people building wings, swimming pools, tennis courts etc with the goal of securing preferred treatment.  This really stinks of how dare you try and do what we do. The only people who should see prison time is the school and the agent...

Maybe her going to jail will act as a  deterrent for others who are tempted to try the same  path.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Maybe her going to jail will act as a  deterrent for others who are tempted to try the same  path.

2 Months,out in 1 , in a holiday camp prison  is not much of a deterrent,

she got off lightly for commiting mail and wire fraud, the real punishment

is all the money she and her husband have spent on lawyers.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 4:09 PM, Scot123 said:

I do feel sorry for her because I know if I were put in the same position I would do all in my power to help my child/children. It has been going on for hundreds of years. Very rich people building wings, swimming pools, tennis courts etc with the goal of securing preferred treatment.  This really stinks of how dare you try and do what we do. The only people who should see prison time is the school and the agent...

Nice to find someone saying the truth unlike what I have read on other forums.

Just like the red bull heir, of course I would pay anything to free my kids, whatever they did, whoever they killed.

But now it seems that America is not the right place to bribe anyone ? Or is it just bad luck ?