A question for the long stayers. - Driver's License Renewals - How many years? 1+, 5+, 15+?

It depends upon your visa type as to what license they will issue   normally a "tourist visa" will only get a provisional 2 year licence   a Non-O  or  B visa or extension of  will get a 5 year license after the initial 2 year provisional licence... however T.I.T and the various caveats and anomalies  apply.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Scottish Thailander said:

OK so First issue is 1-2 years

First Renewal is 5-6 years

Second Renewal is 5-6 years

Third, forth, fifth etc.......

What is the official schedule of renewals? 

At what point do you get more than 5 years upon a renewal?

Does it make a difference if you are on different types of visas? eg.  on a Non-O vs a Non-B vs ......?

All including Thais have to renew a 5 year license every 5 years, like many other countries. 

The days of lifetime licenses are over since governments have seen how much money they can earn to provide this service and make everyone's life more time consuming and complicated.

Passport offices and driving license offices always seem to be busy and crowded.

Edited by userabcd
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

Years ago they issued lifetime licenses. Some of those people are still around. Many of them still driving.  Eek!

It wasn't that long ago - about 15 years ago when they ended.Many drivers in their mid to late 40s will have them.

36 minutes ago, jayboy said:

It wasn't that long ago - about 15 years ago when they ended.Many drivers in their mid to late 40s will have them.

And some of us are a bit older.  Mine was issued 50 years ago - and photo still looks exactly the same - as I was 50 years ago.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

And some of us are a bit older.  Mine was issued 50 years ago - and photo still looks exactly the same - as I was 50 years ago.  

Same with me.My very old passport photographs are exactly the same as my present appearance.I just can't understand why nobody else thinks so.

18 hours ago, jayboy said:

Not for foreigners, I have my license for 25 years now. My wife did it later and she still got a lifetime license, when I asked the next renewal they told me it was only for Thai (or maybe PR holders).

20 hours ago, Scottish Thailander said:

OK so First issue is 1-2 years

First Renewal is 5-6 years

Second Renewal is 5-6 years

Third, forth, fifth etc.......

What is the official schedule of renewals? 

At what point do you get more than 5 years upon a renewal?

Does it make a difference if you are on different types of visas? eg.  on a Non-O vs a Non-B vs ......?

Buy a 10 year intl. Drivers permit, good for most countries, about 100 bucks online. 

• Haha 2

In Thai year 2551 my 5 year licences were renewed for 10 years each . That was after the two years was renewed with 5 years - then i got the 10 year ones . Unfortunately I failed the renewal in 2561 . Too lazy to convert the years ...you can do that .

1 hour ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Not for foreigners, I have my license for 25 years now. My wife did it later and she still got a lifetime license, when I asked the next renewal they told me it was only for Thai (or maybe PR holders).

Yes, they would all be PR holders.

has it been reported yet on TVF about the new health regulations for renewing a driving license?
such as diabetics will no longer qualify for renewal
wife said, many Thai's are complaining about the new restrictions
but i havent seen anything in English when i initially searched (although not searched recently)
was announced last week
i would expect it may affect quite a few TVF members

ok after translating few pages seems diabetes is under consideration with others

Which originally defined 5 prohibited diseases, including

1. Lymphatic filariasis in the symptoms that are offensive to society

2. Tuberculosis in infectious stage

3. Leprosy

4. Alcoholism

5. Drug Addiction

They are considering adding forbidden diseases such as epilepsy, diabetes, high blood pressure, bipolar disorder, autism or atypical 90 cm short, which doctors must issue a medical certificate. Must assess the physical condition of the applicant for a medical certificate"

Edited by patman30

10 minutes ago, patman30 said:

has it been reported yet on TVF about the new health regulations for renewing a driving license?
but i havent seen anything in English when i initially searched (although not searched recently)
was announced last week

Not hard to get a "favorable" medical certificate.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, patman30 said:

was announced last week

..........and half the country.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Not hard to get a "favorable" medical certificate.

once they bring in new regs, the cost will most certainly increase
the fact they now require a medical for Thais
just shows this is the first step
they have announced what they are considering as the next step
it will all lead to people requireing "some form of preventive treatment" in future for license renewals
but with next step doctors will be able to extort a vast amount of people needing to renew

i also expect anyone arrested or fined for drug offences will be denied renewal same is likely for repeat DUI's

6 minutes ago, patman30 said:

once they bring in new regs, the cost will most certainly increase
the fact they now require a medical for Thais
just shows this is the first step
they have announced what they are considering as the next step
it will all lead to people requireing "some form of preventive treatment" in future for license renewals
but with next step doctors will be able to extort a vast amount of people needing to renew

i also expect anyone arrested or fined for drug offences will be denied renewal same is likely for repeat DUI's

As I said, Not hard to get a "favorable" medical certificate.